Confused Between Maruti Swift LXi and Fiat Punto

I do not agree with your point of "less on interior space and expensive"

1. I did a comparison of both cars

Its really funny reading this thread.

Jayadev was not just owning but was indulged on Punto for last two years and now he is being advised about the pros and cons of a Punto.

@Rahul:My opinion is always straight forward and same is now.
Swift LXi is the car to for.It's head and shoulders above the Punto 1.2.
Only ride and handling doesn't make a car and hence swift LXi is overall a far far better car than the Punto 1.2..
Though in terms of diesel,Punto can be considered but not for petrol.

Thread Starter #18
Its really funny reading this thread.

Jayadev was not just owning but was indulged on Punto for last two years and now he is being advised about the pros and cons of a Punto.
If you are in doubt then compare the space of both cars on any website. I hope that tomorrow you won't say that a website like "carwale" is giving wrong specifications [lol]

@Rahul:My opinion is always straight forward and same is now.
Swift LXi is the car to for.It's head and shoulders above the Punto 1.2.
Only ride and handling doesn't make a car and hence swift LXi is overall a far far better car than the Punto 1.2..
Though in terms of diesel,Punto can be considered but not for petrol.
Thanks Vipul, even I have decided to choose swift for petrol option. But, if I have to wait and buy a diesel then I will surely go for punto.

The simple logic is Brio is more VFM and easy on pocket than Punto. [;)]
Brio,of a size of soapbox is segment lower to swift and punto . It is not sensible to be compared as vfm. Brio suits against Astar or hyundai i10 or eon.

Thanks Vipul, even I have decided to choose swift for petrol option. But, if I have to wait and buy a diesel then I will surely go for punto.
@Rahul,if you have very much inclination to own a Punto than much common swift I will come up with pros. There should be no room for confusion you should be fixed on it.

Else eyes closed buy swift I cant see anything wrong in swift you will love it.

Thread Starter #20
@Rahul,if you have very much inclination to own a Punto than much common swift I will come up with pros. There should be no room for confusion you should be fixed on it.

Else eyes closed buy swift I cant see anything wrong in swift you will love it.
Yes, I can see that swift will give me peace of mind if I choose it in petrol variant. But, in diesel I would love to go for punto because its completely different on road and I actually feel safe while sitting in it. Moreover, its not costly than swift in diesel variant, where in petrol its 45k higher than swift.

I made my mind to go for swift in petrol and for punto in diesel. Now, I will decide after looking at my pocket next month [:D]

Yes, I can see that swift will give me peace of mind if I choose it in petrol variant. But, in diesel I would love to go for punto because its completely different on road and I actually feel safe while sitting in it. Moreover, its not costly than swift in diesel variant, where in petrol its 45k higher than swift.

I made my mind to go for swift in petrol and for punto in diesel. Now, I will decide after looking at my pocket next month [:D]
Welldone and well said.
As I can see your research and our inputs have been fruitfull.
If you have any doubt TAI team will love to help you .
Cheers.

A lot of people seem to be having a looot of misconceptions regarding the Honda Brio. First things first : Its NOT Cramped. The interior space is more than the swift any day. Their boot space are almost similar. They are in the SAME segment !!

Even Narain Karthikeyan said that as a drivers car, Brio is much much better than the swift in performance and handling. Take a test drive and spin the motor before jumping to conclusions.

If Sachin tendulkar says " boost is the secret of his energy" ,is it?

Road presence of Brio is much smallish than swift or Jazz. It is too feminine and scooty type.
Concerning perfomance and handelling, lighter small car does have an advantage but that alone does not qualify it a best buy.

You have got good sense of humor Jayadev. [:)]
Really appreciate you for your suggestions regarding Punto Vs Swift decision making.
Recently I have also been hearing a lot of positive reviews from Brio Owners, have you actually experienced Brio comfort and handling? or just seen them on roads?

@har007 Narain was testing Audi R8 and BMW M back to back on chennai tracks, looks very funny a statement when he comments on Swift and Brio

when you look out for road presence its definitely the swift and not brio by anyways and when you look out for road presence between SX4 and Honda city vtech its vtech who would take all the charm away, there are some cool interiors in the car which makes you drool in BRIO over the swift

But when a person buys a car in this price range would need a peace of mind which swift would definitely offer him, not that brio won't but its too early to comment

Recently I have also been hearing a lot of positive reviews from Brio Owners, have you actually experienced Brio comfort and handling? or just seen them on roads?
I have test driven the swift and the brio back to back twice !!
I am also on the verge of buying a car so there is really no need for me to be biased.

And well Sachin endorses boost. Narain does not endorse honda. He just said his opinion. Sheesh cant someone just accept that maybe he was telling what he felt about the cars. People cant just accept anything bad someone tells about the swift [roll]

@har007 Narain was testing Audi R8 and BMW M back to back on chennai tracks, looks very funny a statement when he comments on Swift and Brio.

But when a person buys a car in this price range would need a peace of mind which swift would definitely offer him, not that brio won't but its too early to comment
I really dont think a brio would be unreliable. The engine is tried and tested anyway. And a honda is generally as reliable as a suzuki.

And whats so funny about him commenting on small cars. Then he commenting on a 3 series is also funny due to the fact that he tested a R8. [glasses]

The VFM factor about the brio is that we get a proper 1.2 89bhp iVTec with ABS and Airbags at 5.3 lakhs onroad which is a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

I am planning to book a car next month and searched a lot. Took test drive of Swift petrol and liked it. But, I was searching online about fiat punto and found that owners of punto are much more delighted than swift.

Now, if we compare price then punto base model is costing more than swift and they are just giving extra accessories such as audio system and power windows. In this festive season they are offering "Absolute" versions with GPS, bluetooth, seat covers etc. Apart from accessories puto is lacking on power in front of swift and it has low resale value with a bad reputation of after sales service.

Please help me choose the best one among these two because swift has some advantages over punto but I have seen some people booking punto over swift and they are delighted. I am still trying to find that why they have chosen punto over swift?

Is the mileage of punto petrol 1.2 is higher than swift Lxi?
No, Swift would give more mileage.
Is it better in handling than swift?
Both are good handlers but breaks in Punto is better than Swift (Lxi/Vxi) model specifically.
Is it better in space than swift?
hmmm..I think Swift would be better. Jayadev commnented on that in following thread. Please refer to it.
Better interiors than swift?
No, Swift interiors are better from touch and feel angle. Even otherwise Swift's dash is better layed out than Punto.

Any proud owner of punto 2012 (petrol) or swift petrol who can get me out of this confusion? [roll] [confused]
Rahul,

My suggestions are there in bold.

My replies were in conjuction to the confusion between both ,and swift will prove vfm any day in long run .
Excellent explanation Jayadev. Kudos to you [clap]

Yes I did a micro TD around the mall because they requested so much.I went looking for Jazz, but Jazz was unavailable .
There is a hump at the entrance of the mall which I thought never existed while riding in my punto but while in brio it gave a mini bounce.
Suspension doesn’t feel matured enough as you feel while settling inside swift ,jazz or punto.
The rear Glass looks too exposed and scary I am afraid what if an Suv or truck rear ended it.
My wife liked the seating position and ergonomics (she is a jazz fan not punto) and said its a nice car but added she would never like to go for a long drive in it or not even for a visit to relatives.
Interior, quality wise I could not find it much different than Jazz ( reviews around says quality is leagues ahead of any car on the road ,I dont know why and what is their scale) but jazz does looks dull coloured comparitively and swift's looks much more at home.
to conclude its makes a good daily office commute car in the segment of i10,a-star and similars.
Brio does justify as VFM , but for the ride quality and for that long term ownership with a gut feel of a CAR ,brio did not satisfy .

I really dont think a brio would be unreliable. The engine is tried and tested anyway. And a honda is generally as reliable as a suzuki.

And whats so funny about him commenting on small cars. Then he commenting on a 3 series is also funny due to the fact that he tested a R8. [glasses]

The VFM factor about the brio is that we get a proper 1.2 89bhp iVTec with ABS and Airbags at 5.3 lakhs onroad which is a pretty sweet deal.
High profile people have given positive opinion on Tata Nano too. Does it means anything for everybody to own it?
To me Suzuki cars are reliable just due to wide network of service centre around the country,other wise where else in the world suzuki sells?
which means Honda's reliability is questionable considering fewer service centres.

Honda is definitly very dear to maintain compared to Suzuki which my Honda city owner friend has confirmed.
within 25000 km he had to attend two recall, had to get the brake disks skimmed and suspensions repaired for some technical issues costing him Rs.20000+ excluding the regular service charges which is also on north side.
he agrees the engine under the hood is hoot to drive thats all else nothing much in the H badge, its not even inspiring above 140kmph for the price and size of a sedan.

High profile people have given positive opinion on Tata Nano too. Does it means anything for everybody to own it?
To me Suzuki cars are reliable just due to wide network of service centre around the country,other wise where else in the world suzuki sells?
which means Honda's reliability is questionable considering fewer service centres.

Honda is definitly very dear to maintain compared to Suzuki which my Honda city owner friend has confirmed.
within 25000 km he had to attend two recall, had to get the brake disks skimmed and suspensions repaired for some technical issues costing him Rs.20000+ excluding the regular service charges which is also on north side.
he agrees the engine under the hood is hoot to drive thats all else nothing much in the H badge, its not even inspiring above 140kmph for the price and size of a sedan.
So +ve opinions by high profile people means nothing ? [lol]

HONDA'S UNRELIABLE [lol]
They have consistently been rated among the most reliable cars along with toyota. You cant argue with that !! Or maybe the rating's are all hocus pocus done secretly by honda to increase their ratings !! [lol]
And a Honda is definitely cheap to maintain. My grandpa's honda civic has needed nthing more than regualar maintenance ever !! The brio's service charge is only around 2k which is frankly very cheap. Its suzuki which charges 6k plus for their new cars(synthetic oil is the cause)

Top Bottom