Comprehensive Review of Ertiga ZDI. Its ICE and Travelogue

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

First up, wish you all happy Dasara & Durga Pooja greetings !

It will be my endevour to cover all aspects of Ertiga through seriese of reviews posts that shall help fellow team members.

----------------------------------------------

The search:

I have my lovely Zen 2002 model and have been contemplating of changing the vehicle for some time now since January this year. The requirement was to go for Sedan or medium sized SUV. In between heard Mini Innova is coming but later realized its another refurbished avatar of Innova. I also did go through the second hand market to and took TD of Chevy Royale which had done 50K and the dealer was quoting 7L while the other one tested was Innova which had done 70K and was quoting 10L. So, decided not to ever step into second hand car showrooms.

While all the above things were happening, I happened to see Ertiga being discussed in TAI and other forums and I collected more information and it was almost an instance decision to go for it.

The Ertiga TD:

After its launch, contacted so many dealers for TD but couldn’t do it as vehicles were not available and eventually after 4 weeks of follow-up took the TD of the Ertiga ZDI. It was stark disappointment when I drove the Ertiga for the first time after driving Petrol Zen for many years. The lag was so much that feared someone would hit me while changing the lanes or joining the intersections of the road. The initial lag really disappointed me the most. One on NICE road highway, I was cruising at 130-140Kmps effortlessly and we were only 3 people on the TD vehicle. I decided NOT to go ahead with Ertiga though the entire package was appealing.

Ertiga Decison Making.jpg

The Decision Making:
The main criterion was as below with weighted Average:

Now, that I had decided that I should go for Ertiga, next decision making was regarding whether I should go for ZDI or ZXI. Again I took refuge to calculations and the ZDI made sense based on the parameters below:

Attaching the Calculator XLS and this can be used to compare any two models of vehicle. You will just need to input the values in green colored grids and you will have computation and you can identify the break even period.

So, based on this my decision making became easier to go ahead with ZDI as I will not change my car within next 6-7 years.

Ertiga Petrol vs Diesel - Decision making.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Re: Ertiga ZDI Ownership Review - A to Z Info regarding Ertiga

Ertiga TD - 2nd Round:

This time I decided to try different dealer (Pratham on ORR) to test drive the vehicle and dedicated one of my Saturday to it.

Went there early in the morning at 10.30 and took the ZDI TD Again and I could see much better response compared to my earlier TD and the lag was manageable. My interactions with sales team helped me to firm up on ZDI as he suggested that the post 1st service the engine response would be much better. He also cited the examples of Dezire & SX4 diesel vehicle which passed by swiftly and he could convince that initial lag will not be an issue in City traffic. He also suggested that I take ZXI TD and I was more than happy to oblige :)

I took ZXI for TD for the next half an hour and it was breeze. I liked ZXI more than the ZDI as I'm used to my Zen Car which is swift moved in crazy Bangalore traffic.

But then I contemplated on the ZDI vs ZXI computations and finally the decision was made to go for ZDI.

Thread Starter #3

The booking & waiting Saaga:

Since I took TD at two different dealers, I decided to check my luck and hence booked Ertiga ZDI with both dealers. While the Kalyani Motors took 50K booking advance, the Pratham Motors took 10K advance and I booked them within a weeks difference during June 2012. Both sides stories were no different with them singing the tune of Maruti Suzuki lockout at Manesar Plant altought the Ertiga was produced at Gurgaon.

Btw, since the ZDI with alloy wheels would have taken more time, I had to switch to steel wheels.

After close to 4 months waiting and relentless follow up, I got a call from dealer about my vehicle having left factory and would arrive on 27th Sept. First time I saw my vehicle was on 28th Sept and have the following observations:

1. It was extremely dirty !
2. The odo's reading was 45Kms
3. Equpped with MRF ZVTS Tyres

Few pictures here of its initial avataar !!

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

Now that the booking is done with, I was un decided about the mode of finance and I had three options to choose from:

1. Company Lease
2. Bank Finance
3. Full cash

I did a thorough P/L calculation of company lease vs Bank Finance (3rd option being no brainer), it made lot of sense to go with Bank Finance as you can do foreclosure of the loan.

The computation is as below:

Please let me know if any point is missing here and you want to add on.

Attachments

Last edited:

The above calculation shows that it does not make sense for businessmen to take a car through lease as we get the benefit of depreciation as well as interest is an expense, so reduces tax outgo too.

Thread Starter #6

Now that the booking, Finance sorted out it was time for PDI, Insurance and Delivery of the vehicle. Although vehicle had arrived in Bangalore at dealer stock yard on 27th Sept I could not get the delivery due to Adhika Maasa period of 15 days.

Before I could take the delivery, I enquired with the dealer on the costs and following were the computations for the final billing:

Would like to draw your attention towards the insurance where you can save 12-13K if choose outside insurance online. I missed doing check box on Zero Depr...hope I'm will not end up paying for it later :)

The road tax for non existant road is killing us for Bangaloreans... to top this all, we are required to pay huge toll fees no matter which road you take. So why pay income tax & road tax if I were to pay for toll fees.. even for going to airport !!

I read somewhere that BBMP mulling congestion charges (London Style) to top it all - this country is clearly going to beggars [frustration]

Attachments

Last edited:
Now that the booking is done with, I was un decided about the mode of finance and I had three options to choose from:

1. Company Lease
2. Bank Finance
3. Full cash

I did a thorough P/L calculation of company lease vs Bank Finance (3rd option being no brainer), it made lot of sense to go with Bank Finance as you can do foreclosure of the loan.

The computation is as below:

Please let me know if any point is missing here and you want to add on.

ThankYou for the detailed analysis, even I have decided against CLC for the following reason:
1:You are now allowed to make downpayment say 4 lakhs.
2: No part payment.
3: In case of sudden long term onsite , loan has to be foreclosed.

Now that the booking, Finance sorted out it was time for PDI, Insurance and Delivery of the vehicle. Although vehicle had arrived in Bangalore at dealer stock yard on 27th Sept I could not get the delivery due to Adhika Maasa period of 15 days.

Before I could take the delivery, I enquired with the dealer on the costs and following were the computations for the final billing:

Would like to draw your attention towards the insurance where you can save 12-13K if choose outside insurance online. I missed doing check box on Zero Depr...hope I'm will not end up paying for it later :)

The road tax for non existant road is killing us for Bangaloreans... to top this all, we are required to pay huge toll fees no matter which road you take. So why pay income tax & road tax if I were to pay for toll fees.. even for going to airport !!

I read somewhere that BBMP mulling congestion charges (London Style) to top it all - this country is clearly going to beggars [frustration]
Hi Maahi,

Are we expecting another price hike of Rs15,000 on Ertiga ZDI?

The ex-showroom price of Ertiga ZDI in Bangalore is currently showing 900988.04, I guess they have hiked the price. Oh My God, before delivery there is 45000 of hike in 2 steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Royal Sundaram 0dep insurance will cost you about 26-27000, with paid driver and passenger cover. So the difference will be about 5000 or so and not 12-13000.

Thread Starter #9
Re: Ertiga ZDI Ownership Review - A to Z Info Regarding Ertiga

ThankYou for the detailed analysis, even I have decided against CLC for the following reason:
1:You are now allowed to make downpayment say 4 lakhs.
2: No part payment.
3: In case of sudden long term onsite , loan has to be foreclosed.

Hi Maahi,

Are we expecting another price hike of Rs15,000 on Ertiga ZDI?

The ex-showroom price of Ertiga ZDI in Bangalore is currently showing 900988.04, I guess they have hiked the price. Oh My God, before delivery there is 45000 of hike in 2 steps.
Hi ZMR,

Yes, they have already hiked the price of Ertiga by 15,000 starting this month (Oct '12). Thats the reason why I got my Ertiga invoiced in the last month itself.

Regarding the company lease, your observations are valid. Also, if you are planning to quit the company then its a far more disaster unless you find a buyer in your company. Otherwise you'll end up huge amount of money to lease companies. Net/Net, its a loss proposition to employees in any case.

Mahi

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

The Royal Sundaram 0dep insurance will cost you about 26-27000, with paid driver and passenger cover. So the difference will be about 5000 or so and not 12-13000.
Hi Sandeep,

What I said was about the "standard" insurance offered by Maruti will cost you 32K instead of outside insurance which is in the range of 18-20K.

rgds/Mahi

No. Without the 0 dep, it costs about 24000 or so. I have just taken deliver of an Ertiga VDI on 24th. The quote was for 9.26 with standard insurance. Paid about 9.02 and took the insurance from outside. 0 dep from New India, with my 50% NCB transfer, cost me 15334, with driver, passenger and owner cover, 200000 each. Their quote for 0 dep was also about 25500. They are one of the 6 companies with Maruti tie up.

Maruti dealer had quoted about 30800 with 0 dep and driver, passengers at 200000 each.

Also all Insurance companies do not offer a cashless settlement with Maruti dealers (The 6 that have tied up, do). New India, Royal Sundaram, United India, Bajaj Allianz, Iffco Tokio and one other.

Last edited:

Also I would suggest that always take a 0 dep policy till it is available (1st 3-4 years). Takes care of all replacement parts at full payment of cost without you having to pay the depreciation difference.

The replacement parts especially the plastics (50% depreciation, always), can be killing. I faced that with my i10, as the Total cost I paid for 2 replacements of the same part in 1 year was about the same as the insurance.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

Thanks Sandeep for detailed info on Insurance saaga. Is it possible to get the zero dep included after buying the insurance? (I've RS Insurance)

rgds/Mahi

Dear Mahi,

We are waiting for your second part of review with photos.

Thread Starter #15

Sure Minu,

I'm not getting time to do quality review as yet though I have done close to 800Kms since took delivery on 16th Oct and have very few photos clicked. The photo-op session is pending :)

I'll put up a quality review as I've too many things to share regarding all aspects in much greater detail.

Cheers..Mahi

Top Bottom