Comparison: Tata vs Ashok Leyland H/LMVs

Thread Starter #1
I think Raj is the only person in this forum with good knowledge about buses. Infact he has three buses i think all operating in KL!

Anyways good comparison between the two CV giants!

Re: Tata v/s Ashok Leyland H/L/M CV's

I have heard from few of my friends who are all involved in lorry business telling that Leyland has better reliability and durability compared to TATA's. But TATA's chases cost way considerable lesser than that of Leyland but is more trouble prone. Buses plying in Kerala are more TATA's but buses who choose the hilly areas in Kerala choose Leyland than that of TATA's.

ya one of my friend a bus driver was commenting that tata buses are preferred by local short trip bus operators as tata buses can be accelerated from sudden stoppage and then again back in action as u can see in bus stops where two local buses competing for getting more people on board especially in kerala reason given tata buses have high speed engine
any one technically qualified please comment

TATAs have a better acceleration whereas Leyland delivers a better FE.
In case of Bus chassis, normally people prefer Leyland for max speed and also the longer Front Over Hang (FOH) & short Rear Over Hang (ROH) compared with TATA. This helps better maneuverability in sharp turns, especially for hill driving.

Ours is a wholesale business of spareparts of L/HMV; starting from Tata Ace/Magic to 407/709/1109/1312/1613/2515/2516/TC/1210/SE/4018etc... and also of Leyland and Eicher trucks.

We are the dealers of joint parts like Universal Joint Cross/ Teeths/ Yokes/ Half Yoke/ Sleeve Yoke/ Rear teeth/ Front Teeth/ Geabox Couplings/ Pinion Couplings/ Cross Holder; etc.. Accessories, oilseals, wipers, bulbs,etc..

Well its been around 6-7months for me fully joined in our business and as of now regarding the comparision; as a wholeseller I can say that we sell around 60% of products of TATA vehicles; 35% of Leyland vehicles and around 5% of Eicher vehicles; here in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. Most of the Dumpers are Leylands.

As a result; I feel that people here are more inclined towards TATAs than Leylands and Eicher. [roll]
Also I think that people down in south are more into leylands because I have seen most of the Leylands with KA/TN/AP registration; etc..

Last edited:

jackson1

Suspended
TATAs have high speed engine whereas Leyland has better reliability.I think,normally people prefer Leyland for maximum speed compared with TATA.This helps better especially for hill driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got about performance.
But guys what about maintenance after few years..?
which one is best which cause lower maintenance...?
It depends on many aspects such as the use of the vehicle, overload, road condition, the products loaded on the truck the truck, the servicing intervals, etc...

That Days are gone when Ash-Ley was not preferred in local operation while tata gave instant pickup.

Now Ash-ley has high end features that tata doesn't provide....

I Travel about 30 kms Daily in B.M.T.C buses(am a college going one[:)]).They use both AL and Tata.
I have no idea about what they contain technically.but have observed the differences, between them
Tata:
1)Lower NVH levels.
2)Low pickup/acceleration(Infact drivers struggle to rip them up)
3)The gear lever is well positioned like in cars,so switching them is real good.

Ashok Leyland:
1)Higher NVH levels.
2)Great Pickup/Acceleration(Drivers Play with them)
3)The gear lever is positioned behind and the shifting gears are vertical type

The bus chassis they use For AL is viking BS3,And Tata with 1612 and Marcopolo(Both A/C And Non A/c)

Tata uses Cummins Engine and AL,H-series

since this thread is about tata/ leyland vehicles i would like to tell you all about a weird idea that popped in to my mind a few weeks ago. i was talking to a friend of mine who owns a workshop that repairs trucks. i happened to see a tata 407 sitting idle there. i asked him the price of that 407, it was about 7 years old, he quoted inr 100000/. mates is it feasible to buy an old 407 and turn it into an suv.my wife called me mad when i told her the idea, so i was not keen on telling you guys about it.of late i have been watching the discovery turbo channel where in its shown that big trucks are converted into beautiful vehicles.moderators sorry if iam going off topic.mates can you give your valuable opinion regarding this.

since this thread is about tata/ leyland vehicles i would like to tell you all about a weird idea that popped in to my mind a few weeks ago. i was talking to a friend of mine who owns a workshop that repairs trucks. i happened to see a tata 407 sitting idle there. i asked him the price of that 407, it was about 7 years old, he quoted inr 100000/. mates is it feasible to buy an old 407 and turn it into an suv.my wife called me mad when i told her the idea, so i was not keen on telling you guys about it.of late i have been watching the discovery turbo channel where in its shown that big trucks are converted into beautiful vehicles.moderators sorry if iam going off topic.mates can you give your valuable opinion regarding this.
If you have will power then there is no way of giving up your idea[:)].
Dont heed to any of your beloved or known ones to get into your strategy,Because their mindset are different from yours.

Its really a good idea to bring up.
Similarly this idea will be more effective on Force Travellers,infact many of them have done mind blowing modifications

I know there is a long gap in the discussion here. Here are some points from my side.

• Actually AL vehicles are very good in normal surface but when it comes to hilly area it has some difficulties. You can see tata vehicles are used mostly on hilly areas. It is been in the process that soon AL vehicles also do the same magic.
  • As some one said, AL is famouse across all four soutern states. Espcially TN and AP. But the time has changed. AL is concentrating more now on north part of the country also.
  • To achive the above, there are more plants are comming in north. the recent and successful plant is Pant nagar in Utharkand.
  • Apart from that Hinduja group has a floated a new NBFC firm called Hinduja Leyland Finance which will concentrate more on funding north India.
I will add more points when ever possible.

Girls don't like UVs, let alone trucks & 407. Its good you told your wifey about it but you should have actually shown a good vanity van before telling her something.

I have a friend who has converted a tempo traveller to motor home, it has everything in it, including beds for short stint [;)].

And in US, there are motor home bays, where there is scenic spot & you simply drive your bus in & enjoy the surroundings as if you own a home there.

Country Coach Veranda Motorhome - YouTube

Millennium Luxury Coaches Unit #1619 - YouTube

Ashok Leyland, the flagship of the Hinduja Group, has registered a 19.7 percent increase in turnover at Rs. 3,007 crores for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 as against Rs. 2,513 crores of the corresponding quarter of the previous fiscal. Sale of vehicles for the quarter stood at 27,487 numbers (19,277 nos.) with domestic volume at 17,335 nos. (16,738 nos.) reflecting a rise of 3.6 percent over the previous corresponding quarter. International operations continued its good showing with 2,904 nos. (2,539 nos.), up 14.4 percent. The overall improvement in the sales numbers were largely a result of the excellent performance of ‘Dost’, the Company’s Light Commercial Vehicle and the gradual improvement in the southern markets.
The Company’s Profit from Operations before Other Income, Finance Costs and Depreciation stood at Rs. 241 crores, marginally lower by 1.6 percent compared to the previous year (Rs. 245 crores) owing to higher overheads. Employee Costs were higher by 7.3 percent at Rs. 268 crores (Rs. 250 crores). Depreciation was higher by 5.4 percent at Rs. 89 crores (Rs. 85 crores). Other Expenses rose to Rs. 310 crores (Rs. 207 crores) due to higher sales overheads.

The Company’s Profit from Ordinary Activities before Financial Costs and Exceptional Item was at Rs.164 crores (Rs. 167 crores). The Company’s Profit from Ordinary Activities after Financial Costs and Exceptional Item was at Rs. 81 crores (Rs. 111 crores). Net profit was at Rs. 67 crores as against Rs. 86 crores for the corresponding quarter in the previous year. “We ended 2011-12 strongly and we have been able to carry forward that momentum into the first quarter of this fiscal in sheer volume terms,” said Vinod K. Dasari, Managing Director, Ashok Leyland. “Even while the Total Industry Volume in India dipped by 12 percent, we were able to increase our market share by 3.8 percent. Our LCV, ‘Dost’, did very well, achieving 21 percent market share in the first 9 months of sales. However, our profits have taken a hit largely because of the robust brand building and marketing initiatives that we kicked off during the quarter including the signing on of Mahendra Singh Dhoni as our Brand Ambassador. In addition, we were also hit by spiraling power costs.”

Speaking about the quarter ahead, he said, “Although the market outlook is tepid, we are cautiously optimistic of the coming months. We will focus on introducing a slew of new products that the market is waiting for, keep building our network and continue our brand building efforts to maintain and improve our market share.”

Ashok Leyland Q1 turnover up by 20 percent at Rs. 3,007 crores | WheelsUnplugged

Top Bottom