Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Thread Starter #16
We did some initial rounds of testing.
Full range of testing was not done due to the turmoil in Hyderabad.
Top speeds,acceleration tests were done as of now.
Mileage, Pollution needs to be done.
As expected the 3 new boxes were better in all the parameters.
The name of the new box will be announced in a day or 2.
Stay tuned.

cool thread.

how do you rate , the race chips ..

planning to get one from german , cost less than 10k .

pete's and other box is definitely high priced ,
also another option is to re map the current ecm .

the tune o tronics guys help in this!
FOR ACCENT CRDI
whats your suggestion?

Thread Starter #18
@ilango

Race chip is rated at 3 in the first comparison.
Now it'll be going down to 5th with the inclusion of 2 new boxes.
A couple of other boxes with lower price tags from same manufacturers are also getting launched in the next couple of months.
Please wait for them also before making a decision.

Tuning boxes & re-maps are totally different classes.
Both have their own advantages & disadvantages.
Its you who need to decide basing on the pros & cons which way to go.

Thread Starter #19
New Kid in the Block

OK!!

The New box is Engine Cal.
It is priced around 28k.
It features customized Map as per your requirement.
It has a Wireless remote control with on & off Functions.
It is very good in the initial tests.
It is competing closely with the others in the test.
It will be ending up in the top 3 of the list.

Stay tuned for more!!!

I own a Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi. Any tuning boxes available other than the petes? and any recommendations ? I have been waiting for a thread like this for a long time.. ;-)

Thread Starter #21
I own a Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi. Any tuning boxes available other than the petes? and any recommendations ? I have been waiting for a thread like this for a long time.. ;-)
There are lot of options available for you.
All these companies have boxes for most of the cars.

Please provide your order of preference of the following.

1. Drivability
2. Mileage
3. Performance overall
4. In-gear Acceleration
5. Turbo Lag
6. Acceleration figures 0-60
7. Acceleration figures 0-100
8. Acceleration figures 0-150
9. Top Speed
10. Refinement
11. Pollution
12. Price
13. Ease of use
14. Quality

We'll be able to give you the closest match for you.

In simple words. Over all performance and price. As i know any box would obviously increase the acceleration and top speed of the car, I would like to have a more relaxed driving at higher speed. At present though the car seems to be relaxed at 160 kmph , To go to 180 kmph it takes odd 20-30 seconds(with 5 passengers, but still). Or technically , a box which will give more power and atleast medium torque at higher rpms (3500-5000). And it should be removable. A ON and OFF switch for the box would be a great welcome. Cos i can switch it off when my dad drives :D

Last but not least, what will be the major disadvantage of using this box?

FE drop? "i dont care cos i get boosted performance, we cant expect everything" CAR IS TO DRIVE first !

more WEAR and TEAR.. this is where i will put my heads down. Does the clutch plate gets damaged easily?("skoda clutch plate=hole in the pocket") .Any other parts which may suffer the increased power ?? If yes, which parts? I would try changing those parts, if they are not priced insanely high !

Regardds
Jeno

Last edited:
Hi ,

I've been planning on picking up a tuning box.

The order of my preference is as follows.

1.)Drivability
2.)Acceleration figures 0-60
3.)Turbo Lag
4.)In-gear Acceleration
5.)Acceleration figures 0-150
6.)Performance overall
7.)Refinement
8.)Pollution
9.)Acceleration figures 0-100
10.)Top Speed

I drive the Punto MJD (76PS)
Here is a brief report of my driving style and conditions.
I live in Bangalore and drive about 300km a week (Mainly work) and the roads are not clogged per se but traffic is medium .
I'm dont rev the engines too much (rarely passing 1600-1700RPM) before switching gears in the "City".

I do a lot of highway driving.. Once in 2 months at least I travel about 600km on the highway.
Highway driving style
Here again I let the engine take its time to reach max RPM and dont hurry it up unless there is an overtake...(But acceleration and shifts are definitely more swifter than in the City until i reach about 80-90Kmph)
From here on i take the vehicle all the way to 150 and generally keep it between 110-130(Of course if the roads should permit me). Average is about 100-120.. (I feel the car needs more punch here.)

I've read about Pete's box a lot but never had any first hand experience.
I've also come across the 'Spider'.. The car shop i generally visit in Bangalore deals with both spider and Pete's.. He says Spider is better as service backup is better.

(I"m not looking to compromise on quality and durability for a few penny).

My concerns,
1.)Would fitting this kit have long term damages to my "clutch plates" and "Gear box"?
2.) Would the Turbo pressure valves blow out as the pressure builds up much faster now.?
3.) Can the Turbo cope with this extra power?(This is over a long period of time.. 4-5yrs)

All 3 are very important questions for me. Please answer them if possible. My complete decision is resting on the answers.

I'm very much interested in buying the 'spider' as the technology looks to be better(impressions from reading docs only).
So please provide Inputs on which one I should go for.

PS:: I'm buying this kit to make my car perform better, I want my car to have brains and guts.. Not just guts..
So please suggest the best kit.

Awaiting your reply
Shampavman

Hi Pro Biker. Very impressive research work on Tuning Boxes. Great inputs on this subject. Love to have your suggestions. I am due to get delivery of my Hyundai Verna Fluidic Crdi Automatic. This car has had very good reviews. The only apparent shortcomings seem to be the 4 speed auto box whereas most other current automatic cars have a 5 Speed or 6 Speed Automatic Gear Boxes. Highway overtaking would need to be a planned exercise despite a 126bhp powerfull engine. Is there a suitable Tuning Box for this car and what price range . What kind of benefits can one look forward to in an Automatic Verna Fluidic. Any long term negatives to the engine or the car by carrying out this upgrade. Look forward to your advise.

Probiker. My Hyundai verna Crdi will be driven in and around Mumbai city. 80 percent driving would be in Mumbai city slow traffic and 20 percent driving may be longish drives on weekends out of Mumbai. Please advise.

Thread Starter #27
For people who are waiting for recommendations -

Please wait some more time before we give the final verdict.

Tried some boxes which do not have support in India to provide their boxes.
They are reluctant to provide them as they seem to have very less sales in India.
The Support also after speaking to people who own these boxes is pathetic.

BUYERS BEWARE - Please do not purchase the boxes from Foreign WEBSITES directly.
Prefer buying from their INDIAN dealers.
Service can be a big problem later.
You may save some money now but if a problem arises you end up with a big Mess.

Thread Starter #29
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a tuning box, Performance Chip Box Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRDI Common Rail | eBay to be exact. Do you think it is worth getting or is it some resistor to fool the ecu into over-fueling the engine for extra boost?

Cheers,
Sean
It is the same ECU fooling device as others.
It is also over fueling only.
It may be similar to others as in the test in performance.

Their claims of reduced emissions is also a false statement.
They are claiming much more than what is reality.

You can increase power by 40% but your engine will die in few days.
Your mileage will also fall down by atleast 50% in that setting.

You can increase mileage by 25% but your power goes down by 40-50%.

Both of them together is a mis-normer.

The safe limits are under 15% of increase in power which drops mileage close to 10-20% depending on driving styles & vehicle.

In the end Tuning box or remap is your choice based on the pros & cons from your point of view.

Hi All,

So i got a chance to test 'spider' (Definitely not has thoroughly as you have done,pardon me for that).
Here is my small review on it.

I own a punto(75ps) and just a few days ago i tested it and honestly speaking for the car I have i did not feel much punch in any gear.
The in gear acceleration from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th was definitely visible (only to a keen driver) and the top end torque and speed was pretty much the same.

The advantage with punto however is that it always had a huge torque load so i was accustomed to it and the mild boost was not very prominent.
Turbo however is more prolonged and is fun but eventually it runs out of juice ..

According to me its a thumbs down.

PS:: I've tested it only on my car so these comments might not be valid over all cars..

Top Bottom