Comparison: Manual v/s Automatic Transmission

Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
Are there any diesel cars today (not talking about SUVs and MUVs) with an A/T?
Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDi Comfortline is available with a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission and there are few other cars as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey thanks Neil and 350Z for your explanations! I have never driven an AT or even seen one while in work.
And yeah regarding the second question 350Z , i will also never try it. In fact i don know to do those also!![lol]

Are there any diesel cars today (not talking about SUVs and MUVs) with an A/T?
An even cheaper option than the Jetta would be Verna A/T!!

Last edited:
Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDi Comfortline is available with a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission and there are few other cars as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks!!
That was prompt!!
But at 17 lacs, it is a bit scary!!

Even the octavia.

The reason for not having hatchbacks & sedans (exception are there) with Auto Trannys are the high torque figures that the diesel engines produce.
To sustain these high torque figures the Transmissions need to be big & robust which unfortunately cant be fitted onto small cars due to the lack of space.

Thanks!!
I had a suspicion that the torque of the oil burners may be a reason for the prejudice, nice to get some confirmation!!

I will disagree here!

I have driven many kinds of AT & MT.

Manual Transmission is pure fun but when it comes to bumper to bumper traffic, you need another free leg & hand!

But the latest Tiptronic & DSG boxes are just awesome!

Take any car with paddle shifts, you will just feel heaven within the wheels anytime anywhere!
aha, exactly my point!

Hey guys all the cars dont come with the same AT system right?? Are the ones shown in the pictures present in cars like SX4 , i10 , Verna etc?? If yes then can somebody explain the AT present in cars like Jetta's , Skoda's and Civic's??

Last edited by a moderator:
skodas have triptronic gearboxes coupled with DSG transmission.

Triptronic gearboxes CAN act like manual if the driver wishes to. put it in the manual mode & the driver can change gears as in any manual car, the only difference being, there is no clutch. in skodas, he has to tap the gear lever (upwards to upshift & downwards to downshift) & in civic & BMWs, there is paddle shift.

Thanks Raj!! How does the Paddle shift work then?? Am sorry guys i have absolutely no knowledge about AT cars thats the reason am asking too many questions!!

Paddle shift is a thing below the steering wheel.

Like the car just revs in that particular gear. it you just pull up the leaver , it goes to next gear. It's like manual minus the clutch.
help full to race/drag
for down , its automatic . just to shift up.

OK i'll put simple.

slot in 1st gear of your car. its like putting in D mode.
press down the pedal. to shift up , pull up the pass switch in ur car. Its like paddel shift.
same pattern.

ilango[speed thirst];23048 said:
Paddle shift is a thing below the steering wheel.

Like the car just revs in that particular gear. it you just pull up the leaver , it goes to next gear. It's like manual minus the clutch.
help full to race/drag
for down , its automatic . just to shift up.
The automatic tranny in civic is slower than the the Manual Civic.Even if the paddle shifters are used the Automatic civic loses to the Manual civic.

To know why - I am typing a post which will clear all the doubts but it will need 15 mins.So hold on.[lol]

ilango[speed thirst];23052 said:
OK i'll put simple.

slot in 1st gear of your car. its like putting in D mode.
press down the pedal. to shift up , pull up the pass switch in ur car. Its like paddel shift.
same pattern.
He wants to know how does it work internally. I mean what happens when you upshift using paddle shift ? How do the gears change ? That is what he wants to know.

Last edited:

Top Bottom