Coming Soon – ‘Budget’ Variants of BMW 5 Series

Thread Starter #1
This news should set the guys at Audi worrying. As we recently reported, Audi is very close at overtaking BMW to become the largest luxury car seller in India. However, this news doesn’t looks like it will help Audi in any way. After taking the market by storm by launching the corporate editions for 3 series, BMW India is almost ready with a 5 series sedan that should powered by a new four-pot two-liter petrol engine and this might be the Corporate Edition of 5er.

The motor that will power the budget end 5 comes from the latest gen 3 series that comes to our shore within a couple of months. The 5230i, in all probability, will replace the 523i and power figures stand at 184hp-270Nm.

It is being said that some of the dealerships in the country have already started taking the bookings of this model and the car should be priced around INR 40 lakh when it is launched.

Attachments

Re: BMW to introduce a budget end variant of 5 series

This is the precise reason why Merc is bleeding badly in India. They refuse to budge from their staunch obsession about 'product quality' as they call it. Downsizing engines is the name of the game. Hell, even the new Bentley continental GT sheds 4cylinders from W12 to V8! As long as the build quality, handling & dynamics are not sacrificed what is the problem with launching cheaper variants, if I may at all call 40 lakhs 'cheap'?
One has to adapt to changing times & market requirements, else perish. From what I heard even Jaguar is making rapid progress in sales volumes. Is Debashis Mitra listening?

Thread Starter #3
Re: Coming Soon – ‘Budget’ Variants of BMW 5 Series

BMW India has rolled out its 25,000th car from its assembly line at its Chennai plant. Juergen Eder, managing director, BMW Plant Chennai (pictured) said, “It has taken us less than six years to achieve this milestone.” BMW India has recorded retail sales of 4457 cars (delivered to customers) in the calendar year 2012 (the break-up is as follows - January – 550, February – 736, March – 1083, April – 712, May – 626, June – 750). The company delivered 9,371 cars in 2011.

Attachments

Re: Coming Soon – ‘Budget’ Variants of BMW 5 Series

This is the precise reason why Merc is bleeding badly in India. They refuse to budge from their staunch obsession about 'product quality' as they call it. Downsizing engines is the name of the game. Hell, even the new Bentley continental GT sheds 4cylinders from W12 to V8! As long as the build quality, handling & dynamics are not sacrificed what is the problem with launching cheaper variants, if I may at all call 40 lakhs 'cheap'?
One has to adapt to changing times & market requirements, else perish.
Issue is not just with engine but specs also.
Eg. in 3 series CE, BMW removed i-drive, sun-roof, leather upholstery, & HID, electronic seats (yes seat adjustment is like Wagon-R, with small rod beneath). This way they reduced price.

Merc on other hand has set some benchmarks for itself. If Merc does some cheap things like manual seat adjustment, cheap headlights etc. I will be the first one to shoot off a letter/email to Merc complaining about this.

It will be like converting Rajnikant to Abhishek Bacchan [lol].

Bottom-line is, BMW buyers want only BMW name (no wonder why X1 sells despite having nothing in it), while Merc buyers look far more than just a car.
Thats the difference.

* I feel Merc will launch lower series like B class rather than downgrading say C Class.

BMW India has rolled out its 25,000th car from its assembly line at its Chennai plant. Juergen Eder, managing director, BMW Plant Chennai (pictured) said, “It has taken us less than six years to achieve this milestone.” BMW India has recorded retail sales of 4457 cars (delivered to customers) in the calendar year 2012 (the break-up is as follows - January – 550, February – 736, March – 1083, April – 712, May – 626, June – 750). The company delivered 9,371 cars in 2011.
See the pic, all are X1s !!
Wonder why people spend so much amount on X1 ? Better buy BMW logo & stick it on Duster, at the end, result is same !! [lol]

BTW, any chances of diesel 5 series in stripped down version ;) ?

Top Bottom