Clutch Problem in Indigo

Thread Starter #1
Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a second hand Tata Indigo (2006 Model) LX - TDI (Diesel). It has done aprox 42000 Kilometers.

Recently while driving the vehicle changing of gears was very hard, while changing gears i had to apply lot of force to change gears and was not smooth. The clutch pedal was not in line with the Break and Accelator pedals and was lower than the other pedals.

One of my friends advised me it might be a clutch problem and might require change. We took the vehicle to a local garage where the mechanic did some settings and temporarily made the clutch working and adviced me it is time to change the complete clutch assembly.

After the settings done to the clutch the vehicle ran smoothly for aprox 2000 KM and again the same problem arised, but now i also find that the gear shift leaver has some play, which was not there before.
I am planning to have the work done shortly as i am not using the vehicle.

I would like to have your expert opinion and guidance on these issues.
1) Clutch Assembly - What all things needs to be checked and addressed ? Approx what will be the cost of the clutch assembly with labor ?
2) Gear shift play - Can this be rectified with the clutch assembly change or it needs to be taken up seperately ? Does it require some parts changed or can be rectified without any changes done. Approx cost if any parts needs change.

No need to change the whole assembly. Parts that u need to check are clutch release bearing and return fork. If u are running on hydraulic clutch, check master and slave cylinder for leaks. Change the clutch plate and pressure plate too. For the gears, change transmission oil and change the gear lever bush set. This should take care of it.

I guess Indigo runs on hydraulic clutch, so even i feel the transmission oil is the culprit here. As for the clutch plates, even i had to get them replaced at near 40k mark on my indigo.

If it runs on hydraulic, the first thing to be checked is clutch fluid level. Top it up if needed, and check leaks in master and slave. Overhaul them changing oil seals and then ur clutch should work great. @Akash- transmission fluid is different from clutch fluid. Tranmission fluid is the oil filled inside the gearbox.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys for your reply,
@Akash - how much did it cost for the clutch plate replacement.
I guess to change clutch plate, the gearbox needs to be opened, so will replace the gearbox oil too. Will it solve the problem of the clutch pedal getting pressed.
When i checked yesterday the mechanic had put a bearing between the clutch wire to increase the length so that the clutch pedal comes in line with the other pedals. But i guess now that also has given up.

I guess to change clutch plate, the gearbox needs to be opened, so will replace the gearbox oil too. Will it solve the problem of the clutch pedal getting pressed.
When i checked yesterday the mechanic had put a bearing between the clutch wire to increase the length so that the clutch pedal comes in line with the other pedals. But i guess now that also has given up.
Gearbox need not be opened. The complete gearbox has to be separated from the engine. Gears are housed separately from the clutch bell housing.

Regarding the bearing in clutch wire : some of the possibilities for this issue are
1) May be a different clutch cable used here (with shorter outer shell & longer inner cable)
2) Damaged outer shell
3) Mechanic could not correct the play with 'adjusting' nut.

Check with some trusted & skilled mechanic.

Doest the clutch travel too much for the car to move ?
slot the hand brake and try moving in gears . does it start to move in early stage of release or in last stage.

last stage means , you need to replace. clutch , cover assembly , release bearing.

to change this , they will remove the gear box (remember no need top open the gear box.)
gear box as a whole is a unit and it can be further opened . - hope you were confused in this.

Check the flywheel too , 98% it do not need replacement.
Check the forks too when the gear box is opened.

clean and refix them!

Thread Starter #10
Now the clutch pedal is again lowered as before.
When the ignition is turned on and clutch pedal is pressed i cant change the transmission to the 1st gear. I have to apply a lot of force to do so. I guess due to this force applied the gear leaver also has developed with play.
I have to turn ignition off and then put 1st gear and turn ignition on to make my vehicle moving.
Changing other gears also is not easy. I have to apply lot of force on the gear leaver.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the above mentioned i feel, the clutch is not being engaged, to change the gear. you are having a soft clutch

We took the vehicle to a local garage where the mechanic did some settings and temporarily made the clutch working and adviced me it is time to change the complete clutch assembly.
indigo clutch is wire operated. since the clutch wire is altered/ adjusted to perform, i see it is the major culprit here. change the clutch wire, im sure thats the culprit

Top Bottom