Climbing Up Hill with A/C On

with 9 people??!! i am not too sure! by the way, the scorpio is a 8 seater! i think with 9 people, you are already overloading the vehicle & with that, even 2nd gear at 20 kmph on uphills seems fine.

i have tried this umpteen times with 4 people & luggage on ghats & it pulls cleanly. i have even pulled my stationary scorpio in 3rd gear many times, though not on uphills. it does not even require any throttle input, just leave the clutch & the car accelerates till a steady 35 kmph.

anyways, this is to say that diesels have more torque & hence have a upper hand than petrols on uphills. also, downshifting is not frequently needed in diesels.

Sorry for OT.
How is the road condition of Shiradi Ghat???
As i have never done trip from that stretch on my hawk.
If Charmudi is bad then Shiradi is worse, Better travel through Madikeri - puttur if you are travelling to Mangalore

Road from Sakleshpur - Unppinangadi (40-50 kms) very bad, I guess people should avoid even Hassan. [Road widening work in progress]

anyways, this is to say that diesels have more torque & hence have a upper hand than petrols on uphills. also, downshifting is not frequently needed in diesels.
I thought cars with a noticeable turbo lag will require more downshifts to stay in the power band.

What do you think about turbocharged Petrol's vs Diesels ?

Agreed. I understand the figures.

Even I know the figures & have driven both the cars for several hours.

But you know some how I am inclined towards Cedia when it comes to unleashed performance [;)]
:offtopic:Drove the Cruze a few days back. went to TD the beat, and drove the Cruze too. Awesome accelaration. Not just segment, it'll trump many higher segment cars too.

Back to Topic,
The AC off syndrome is persistent with drivers all over india. And wen these guys say about straining the engine, i always reply them with a solid answer. These guys will keep pulling the car at 4th gear wen it should be at 3rd or sometimes at 2nd, and they will curse the ac for lack of power. What they dont realise is that the car is endowed with 5 ratios. they will throw it in 4th and drive like an automatic, pulling from 20-30kmph, and switch of the AC as it "Strains " the engine. Wat these morons dont realise is dat their " Mileage Kya Hai" driving style tortures the poor engine more than the AC.

BTW, i have never felt ANY car underpowered on hills with AC (Including my M800) if u drive correctly and downshift accordingly.

Last edited:
@ Neil: i have never driven a turbo petrol. but which car except the octy RS has a turbo petrol in the budget range? but there are a many turbo diesels available.

i agree that tuning also matters. for example, in a car like Scorpio which has negligible turbo lag, the vehicle will pull cleanly but the innova will not, even if its a diesel.

@ Neil: i have never driven a turbo petrol. but which car except the octy RS has a turbo petrol in the budget range? but there are a many turbo diesels available.
I dont think we had any uptill now but we have one which launched a few days back Fiat Linea TJET!

350Z

Core Team
A pretty good discussion is going on already, but to add a couple of cents about the Maruti 800 – I’ll go with what Jalex has stated. An 800 already requires some power under normal condition, but switching off the A/C comes as a boon while climbing uphill.

Drive Safe,
350Z

let me put it briefly:-the compressor in car ac works in same principle as that in refrigerator or room ac .ie a liquid is compressed and released to lower pressure which in turn absorbs the ambient temperature and giving a cooling effect.
it takes a lot of power to compress the liquid to required levels. and when an ac is in process of cooling the heat absorbed is what we feel cooled cabin.
generally all the ac has a thermostat which is a rotary knob to control the cooling ,at full position it runs for maximum cooling at intermediate levels it cuts the power to compressor when certain level of cooling is achieved.
so once the cabin is cooled the ac would not operate as long as heat is build up again.instead of that if if we turn of ac frequently the cooling of the cabin and compression part is much disturbed.so it would need to work a lot to maintain that .
in short frequent startup of compressor eats lot of power compared to running one.

so it is always a good idea to maintain an optimum level with ac running automatically

that said.above is not an auto climate controlled thingie Acc is digitally computer controlled with lot of sensors and comparitive measurements of temperature you wont need to fiddle with it as it does what it says.

Re: Climbing Up Hill with A/C On.

In my opinion if your car can go uphill with A/c on ,then you should reason being our indian trucks get bad stomach on uphills and leave black smoke which is not good to inhale, it causes nausea ,headache i don't mind putting little strain on the engine for my family's comfort to tell you the truth never felt loss in engine power either(thanks to DDIS and Crdi).[:D]

Top Bottom