Climbing Up Hill with A/C On

So we can conclude that diesels perform better on ghat sections? How about a more powerful petrol car like Verna , SX4 , City etc? Any experiences?

ilango[speed thirst];52953 said:
:offtopic:
You own a mhawk
Do you need a road:lol!:
Ha ha that's true ilango.
But this stretch is treacherous as all gas tankers go to Mangalore via this road.
And a few months ago when i had gone through this stretch on a volvo bus.
They were pretty bad, The whole Volvo B9-R was shaking.
This is the only road despite being repaired again & again remeins in same condition as mining lorry as well as gas tankers ply before they restructure.
This ghat in the early 90's was so steep.

So we can conclude that diesels perform better on ghat sections? How about a more powerful petrol car like Verna , SX4 , City etc? Any experiences?
Not actually.

Diesels have more "Pulling Power" where as Petrol's can be "Revd high".
So its almost equal depending a lot on what your comparing them with,load status,etc.

Eg - Cruze/Laura(diesel) v/s Cedia/Civic on the ghat - The diesels will win hands down.

But

Cruze/laura(diesel) v/s laura1.8/octavia1.8 (turbocharged Petrol's) - The diesels will be Smoked [evil]

Last edited:
Aah thanks for the clarification Neil! But in ghat sections pulling power is needed more right? So i feel a diesel is better driveable in hills compared to a petrol which will need frequent downshifts.

I dont think Cedia will lose their Neil.

Cedia has a naturally aspirated 2000cc engine!

It should win against Cruze or any other diesel car

Aah thanks for the clarification Neil! But in ghat sections pulling power is needed more right? So i feel a diesel is better driveable in hills compared to a petrol which will need frequent downshifts.
Its actually the diesels which need early down-shifts & up-shifts to stay in the right power band.

I dont think Cedia will lose their Neil.

Cedia has a naturally aspirated 2000cc engine!

It should win against Cruze or any other diesel car
Cedia's engine pumps out 115 hp

Where as the Cruze pumps out 150 hp.Its the fastest diesel in the segment.[;)]

Last edited:
Its actually the diesels which need early down-shifts & up-shifts to stay in the right power band.
+1. Diesels require more shifts to have optimum power in such conditions. Also you need to maintain proper rpm to get over the lag too.

I have driven neither Cedia nor Cruze but i have heard that Cruze has a good amount of lag. But chances of lag while driving in such conditions are fewer since one would be downshifting leading to instant power delivery.

Agreed. I understand the figures.

Even I know the figures & have driven both the cars for several hours.

But you know some how I am inclined towards Cedia when it comes to unleashed performance [;)]

i dont think diesels require frequent gearshifts. my scorpio can run in 3rd gear right from 20 kmph to 90 kmph. i bet any petrol can pull from 20 kmph in 3rd gear without hiccups & knocking.

You can do that with slight tuning Raj.

Atleast I do it in my i10 [;)]

As you said its tougher in most of the cars, But with proper tuning its possible :)

Thread Starter #28
Also remember that yours is a rear wheel drive diesel car.

BUt you cant move from 20 in 3rd gear with load in hills. it need atleast 2nd , but i hope 2nd will do from stand still.

Even the omni , rear wheel drive petrol car behaves the same. But not same engined 800 or alto do

Hawk doesn't minds.
But it hurts me driving on such roads.:biggrin:
this car are made for it [:D]

Ilango, a scorpio easily pulls from 20 kmph in 3rd gear with load.
are you sure . you mean you can climb on 3rd gear [surprise] . I had only single trip where around 9 people were setting and i had to use 2nd gear at speed 20kmph with AC ON .

Top Bottom