Claiming Insurance for Windshield Replacement

Thread Starter #1
hi friends,
My windshield got dull and needs replacement. The estimated cost was quoted as arround Rs:7000.00 by the TATA authorised service station.
My car is Indigo of 2008. My policy is with United India Insurance Co. Ltd and IDV is 3,00,000.00.
Premium paid is Rs:9,358.00 including service taxes.
Im the second owner. Neighter the first owner nor i claimed the insurance yet.
My car insurance reneval is due in April.
Shall i claim the insurance for the windshield replacement or do it by my own because a person told me that while claiming for first time they refund us 100%, and for second time 75% or 50% etc..
If this is true, Is it applicable for one year or throughout the life of the car.

I went to the UIIC office but they are unable to give a clear explanation. They said "you just bring your car and related documents, we will get it done".

Please help me.....

Re: claim insurance

First of all i am wondering how the windshield got dull in 4 years.

And if you go to insurance dept for claim, they will reject it.

As the insurance is meant for accidental claim and not for maintenance.

So either it needs an accidental proof or method to claim the insurance.

Thread Starter #3
thanks mukesh for a quick reply.
im having the problem of headlight glare while driving in the night and mechanics advised me to change the windshield after taking a test drive at night time.
i too asked the mechanic as it comes under maintenance but actually there is a small crack(not more than half inch) which happened a year ago when a kid hit at the windshield with a small stone. And intrestingly the crack did'nt expanded. Mechanic said it is enough to claim the insurance.

Or do you advise me to upgrade my head lamp from 55 to 100?

thanks mukesh for a quick reply.
im having the problem of headlight glare while driving in the night and mechanics advised me to change the windshield after taking a test drive at night time.
i too asked the mechanic as it comes under maintenance but actually there is a small crack(not more than half inch) which happened a year ago when a kid hit at the windshield with a small stone. And intrestingly the crack did'nt expanded. Mechanic said it is enough to claim the insurance.

Or do you advise me to upgrade my head lamp from 55 to 100?
Safety is of atmost important, do change the windshield at the earliest.

Leave the car to the garage, they will think out a solution by partially cracking the glass.

And company must pay you for Windshield change.

And you may not get 100% payout , as its a glass material.

Then go for headlight upgrade with relays, if you are not satisfied with current throw of light.

I would suggest take a construction gravel stone and make a hit and a small crack through it so some dust also der!
next contact the insurance company and tell a stone flew from ahead truck which caused it!
thats what many people do and many at times it has happened also.

Lights do get them changed as it would improve visibility and safety of u and people on road!
LIVE AND LET LIVE
DRIVE AND LET LIVE

And you may not get 100% payout , as its a glass material.
I had done windshield replacement under insurance , I got 100 % payout.
Just have to 500 Rs for claim and some 100 rs for some consumable part.(don't know name)

I would suggest take a construction gravel stone and make a hit and a small crack through it so some dust also der!
next contact the insurance company and tell a stone flew from ahead truck which caused it!
thats what many people do and many at times it has happened also.
Please do not give these kind of suggestions in a TAI forum.

While changing the bulbs to higher rating, please change the entire headlight assembly as it becomes yellow and less visible after few years. Once you change it will help your visibility at night time.

Insurance claim i would prefer to keep quiet I know you will take a wise decision.

Please do not give these kind of suggestions in a TAI forum.
Ok ,
But its not wrong either.
We only sit and type about how they cheat us!!! and take away our hard earned money.
This is how may b we can claim it!
I know its a stupendous method!
but we also stand stupid when they give us lemons right [surprise]?

Anyways i take it back without going against rules![frustration]

I had claimed insurance for my rear windscreen after i found a stone had hit it when parked(only claim last year before which i had no claim),probably by some kids or flew off the tire of a passing vehicle,come to think of it the no claim bonus offered is actually peanuts,so dont hesitate from claiming insurance when necessary.

thats what many people do and many at times it has happened also
Thats cunning[;)] ,but similar happened to my rear windscreen,so yes its true it does happen.

Broken windshield need help on Insurance

Hi Team,
I was shocked tonight to see the back windshield of my Tata Indigo LX TDI 2006 model shattered.[frustration]
Since it was night I was not able to see other damage.
Want to know about Insurance claim.
I have a comprehensive Insurance motor insurance policy from United India Insurance.
Was confused reading the clause if windshield is covered under Insurance.
Can someone experienced help me understand it here.

Re: Broken windshield need help on Insurance

Wind shield is covered under comprehensive insurance policies. I think you may have to give 50% as depreciation .Anyway,how did it happen?

No clue as to how it happened.
Inquired with neighbors but they also didn't see anyone doing it.
I saw in some thread about Windshield experts and called their toll-free number.
There are 2 centers in Pune and they said they have cashless claim processing with UII (United India Insurance) It will take 5 hours for the replacement and I will have to pay approx 1200 - 1600.
Called up my Insurance company and they suggested to get it repaired from Tata Authorized Service Centers. However when I inquired with them they dont have cashless process. I will have to surrender the car to them, they will give me a quotation. With that I have to fill in the claim form and submit it to the Insurance company, on which a surveyor will visit and after he gives a go ahead the replacement will happen. So I will have to pay them upfront and after the repair have to submit the bills to the insurance company and they will verify and pay me through cheque. This process would approximately take 3 - 4 weeks for claim reimbursement.
One of the Authorized centers quoted me approx 5K for the replacement. (2500 for the glass with defoggers Asahi made +1250 for sealant + 1000 labor)
Hence I am confused after geting the breakup from the Authorised Service center. If the glass is only 2500 then should I go with Windshield Experts where I have to pay 1600 with cashless or get it done from the Authorised Service center under normal claim process?

Also I came to know after speaking to the insurance people that the back glass is not called the windshield.
I had discussed this with my local garage person also.
He states that if i claim insurance the reimbursement which I may get will be very minimal.
Hence confused. Policy states fiber glass is 30% and all parts made of glass NIL
So is this what will be deducted and rest paid to me or is this the payment which will be done?

Attachments

Also I came to know after speaking to the insurance people that the back glass is not called the windshield.
I had discussed this with my local garage person also.
He states that if i claim insurance the reimbursement which I may get will be very minimal.
Hence confused. Policy states fiber glass is 30% and all parts made of glass NIL
So is this what will be deducted and rest paid to me or is this the payment which will be done?
As per the statement you will get full 100% claim on the glass.Other beadings and all yo may have to pay 50%. If you have 50% NCB,check which is good for you.Keeping the NCB or claiming.

Top Bottom