Choosing The Right Engine Oil

seems like the viscosity is reducing with newer engines .Is it to do with the so called specially coated pistons and internal which have good friction resistance due to special metallurgy ?

I own a Baleno 1.3 ddis Baleno and the user manual suggests 5w-30 A5B5 Oil. Recently i went through my service records and came across quite a few instances wherein I noticed the service centre filling in 5w-40 A3/B4 Oil of Mobil. I understand that switching over to 5w-40 isn't going to do much of a harm to my engine. But i would like to receive some good suggestions regarding oils for ddis engines. I have personally felt that there arent much threads in this forum discussing about oils and their specs. Would be in the good interest of all automobile enthusiasts to discuss about this since the ddis/multijet engines are used in lakhs of cars and has aptly earned the title of "National Engine". Also how about purchasing oils from e-commerce sites?

I have a swift dzire petrol (vxi ) 2012 March make- k12mn engine.
Recently serviced my car at MASS with 64000 kms at oddo. and with 96months service schedule.
The manual says 5w30 oil but they changed with 0w20 Total ecstar semi-synthetic (1000 INR for 3.1 ltrs)... allready driven 1000kms with this oil and now worried about how it's going to handle jaipur summers with temp' varies with 45 to 50 average ?
Though the running is smooth in city limits, pickup is good but at highways its loud around 80 km/h and smooths out again around 100 .
Need your expert advice ...

Thanks Etchings

Guys,

suggest engine oil for both the cars

1) 2012 dzire LDI (98,000 kms)
2) tata zest petrol 1.2 xms 2014 model (25,000 kms)

Sadly, have lost user manual for both the cars. Dont want to get wrong oil in the cars

I have a swift dzire petrol (vxi ) 2012 March make- k12mn engine.
Recently serviced my car at MASS with 64000 kms at oddo. and with 96months service schedule.
The manual says 5w30 oil but they changed with 0w20 Total ecstar semi-synthetic (1000 INR for 3.1 ltrs)... allready driven 1000kms with this oil and now worried about how it's going to handle jaipur summers with temp' varies with 45 to 50 average ?
Though the running is smooth in city limits, pickup is good but at highways its loud around 80 km/h and smooths out again around 100 .
Need your expert advice ...

Thanks Etchings
You must stick to the oil which manual says at any cost.

seems like the viscosity is reducing with newer engines .Is it to do with the so called specially coated pistons and internal which have good friction resistance due to special metallurgy ?
Absolutely, resin coated pistons and low tension piston rings. As you said metallurgy greatly improved. At the same time life of the engine reduced.

Top Bottom