Chevrolet Beat - The Definite Ownership Report

I am a Beat(P) LS owner for the last 3 months and I am very happy with the car. People I know keep asking me why Beat when there many other cars with 1.2L petrol engines. There are a few points which I would like to mention here as to why I selected the beat.
Firstly looks... its different and refreshing. Also its is the cheapest 1.2L car in the market, although it was not the reason for buying the car. Secondly I love how it drives. I used to drive a M800 before, the way the engine responded to your commands in the M800 is missing all the new generation cars may be because they are controlled via too much of electronics. But the Beat responds to you in a way which I can't explain. For some this may be considered a negative point or may indicate poor engine quality. Just go for a long drive to feel it. Next is as described before me, the build quality, it feels very sturdy and you feel confident to thrash it a bit (something which I do at times, although unwillingly). Maruti and Hundai cars feel to fragile and don't inspire such confidence. Regarding maintenance I am yet to experience any problem. But I feel almost all cars in todays market are cheap to maintain. Regarding resale value, I plan to keep the car for at least 6-7 yrs. Judging by the Matizes (same platform as Beat) running so well in the roads even after all these years of no authorized service centers, I am confident I will be able to drive my Betie for at least 6-7 years.
I love my beat and don't know why people complain of low FE. I get 13-15 km/L in the chaotic city traffic (50% time AC on) and got 17-19 in the highway (100% AC).

I have ICEd my Beatie with a Sony head unit with bluetooth and JBL speakers (200W in the front and 260W in the rear). Give very good performance with any type of music. Will update pics soon.

Thread Starter #62
It really make sense to have the 3 years maintenance package from chevorlet.
Btw do you tell the service guys to show You the old part changed and replaced always make a point to do that at times a.s.s guys tell lie that the changed the part and in real they don't do so . Will love to know how smooth the gear box as become .
I am happy that we have taken the 3 year maintenance package.We don't ask for the old part but we do get the old parts from one of Maruti service center in case of our swift.The person working in that Maruti service center always make sure that the old part is there.This same Maruti dealer got the best dealer ship in India award.
From now onwards I will ask the service guys to give us the old part.

I am a Beat(P) LS owner for the last 3 months and I am very happy with the car. People I know keep asking me why Beat when there many other cars with 1.2L petrol engines. There are a few points which I would like to mention here as to why I selected the beat.
Firstly looks... its different and refreshing. Also its is the cheapest 1.2L car in the market, although it was not the reason for buying the car. Secondly I love how it drives. I used to drive a M800 before, the way the engine responded to your commands in the M800 is missing all the new generation cars may be because they are controlled via too much of electronics. But the Beat responds to you in a way which I can't explain. For some this may be considered a negative point or may indicate poor engine quality. Just go for a long drive to feel it. Next is as described before me, the build quality, it feels very sturdy and you feel confident to thrash it a bit (something which I do at times, although unwillingly). Maruti and Hundai cars feel to fragile and don't inspire such confidence. Regarding maintenance I am yet to experience any problem. But I feel almost all cars in todays market are cheap to maintain. Regarding resale value, I plan to keep the car for at least 6-7 yrs. Judging by the Matizes (same platform as Beat) running so well in the roads even after all these years of no authorized service centers, I am confident I will be able to drive my Betie for at least 6-7 years.
I love my beat and don't know why people complain of low FE. I get 13-15 km/L in the chaotic city traffic (50% time AC on) and got 17-19 in the highway (100% AC).

I have ICEd my Beatie with a Sony head unit with bluetooth and JBL speakers (200W in the front and 260W in the rear). Give very good performance with any type of music. Will update pics soon.
Nice to see a happy Chevrolet Beat customer.

I purchased my Chevrolet Beat on 29th Dec 2010 (KA01 MG 2893) from Sundaram Motors Bangalore, and paid for 3 years CPCO package as well. I believe all maintenance is covered by GM during these 3 years as I was promised by Sundaram Motors clearly. And indeed they changed break shoe and window rubber lining during various services. All services have been done on time.

Now past two services of car (20K & 25K) have been done by Kropex Chevrolet Bangalore since Sundaram Motors had closed down. Now clutch plates are diagnosed to be replaced and to my astonishment the service advisor at Kropex is asking me to pay up for that. While I was clearly communicated about all maintenance for 3 years to be taken care by CPCO package

I need an official clarification from GM India over this!

Hi Amandeep,
I have a Spark and took the CPCO offer. Also had a problem with clutch plate and was replaced under the offer for free.
Talk tough with the SA and ask him to give it in writing (i.e before doing the repair) and complain to GM (email and FB). They generally reply back quickly.

Seems like now the moroccan blue color is discontinued. No wonder why.

BTW the car is going well without any problem.

EDIT: More than a year old news.[frustration]

Last edited:
Well, the car is having a serious problem now. Being not an auto enthusiasist (don't ask why I belong here then), I don't have an exact idea of what the problem is.
Coming to the problem, the car's ride quality seems to have downgraded from a 4 lakh car to an auto rickshaw. I've read many reviews and ownerships on the internet and all of them states that it has wonderful ride quality. But it is just the opposite in my car.
Maybe suspension problem? Where should I get it checked? The official service center (I didn't get a very good response from them)?

Hope to get an answer!

Well, the car is having a serious problem now. Being not an auto enthusiasist (don't ask why I belong here then), I don't have an exact idea of what the problem is.
Coming to the problem, the car's ride quality seems to have downgraded from a 4 lakh car to an auto rickshaw. I've read many reviews and ownerships on the internet and all of them states that it has wonderful ride quality. But it is just the opposite in my car.
Maybe suspension problem? Where should I get it checked? The official service center (I didn't get a very good response from them)?

Hope to get an answer!
First, very sorry to know. But should be fixable.

Please Check things in this order (IMHO)

- Tyre Pressure, trust me, this has a lot to do
- Struts (bushes above the shocks)
- The condition of the Shocks
- Broken Spring ?

Any noise from the suspension ? front or rear ? Do you feel that the rear is causing the uncomfortable feeling or the front ?

Jeno

First, very sorry to know. But should be fixable.

Please Check things in this order (IMHO)

- Tyre Pressure, trust me, this has a lot to do
- Struts (bushes above the shocks)
- The condition of the Shocks
- Broken Spring ?

Any noise from the suspension ? front or rear ? Do you feel that the rear is causing the uncomfortable feeling or the front ?

Jeno
Thanks for the reply!

How can I check these? Is it enough to check from a local service station?

The rear is a bit more comfortable (bit) and the left side has the problem more.
No noise.

Also, the noise from a belt when turning on the AC is really annoying. Replaced it from a local service station but it still exists. What is the workaround for this?

Edit: Tyre pressure is not the problem I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

How can I check these? Is it enough to check from a local service station?

The rear is a bit more comfortable (bit) and the left side has the problem more.
No noise.

Also, the noise from a belt when turning on the AC is really annoying. Replaced it from a local service station but it still exists. What is the workaround for this?

Edit: Tyre pressure is not the problem I guess.

Then try removing the from Front Left Shock setup. Check if spring, Shock and Struts are in good shape. Also check if all the nuts of the wheel are Tight. Do you experience any wobbling at high speeds ? Also check if the tyres are also in good shape (check for inner side wall Damage).

AC noise can come due to improper tensioner (of the belt) or the compressor itself. In the second case nothing can be done except replacing the whole compressor .But in first case, you can check if the tensioners are in good shape. worn out belt might also give some sound.

All the above points are just to my knowledge, there might be more possibilities, please check up with a trusted Mechanic. I will call my friend(who is an expert) tomo and try asking him for the cause. [:)]

Jeno

Then try removing the from Front Left Shock setup. Check if spring, Shock and Struts are in good shape. Also check if all the nuts of the wheel are Tight. Do you experience any wobbling at high speeds ? Also check if the tyres are also in good shape (check for inner side wall Damage).

AC noise can come due to improper tensioner (of the belt) or the compressor itself. In the second case nothing can be done except replacing the whole compressor .But in first case, you can check if the tensioners are in good shape. worn out belt might also give some sound.

All the above points are just to my knowledge, there might be more possibilities, please check up with a trusted Mechanic. I will call my friend(who is an expert) tomo and try asking him for the cause. [:)]

Jeno
Thank you very much!

Will check as soon as possible. The noise, umm, it goes after sometime, say after it warms up.
Will do all the possible suggestions you mentioned here. Since I'm a 13 yearly old kid (I hope that doesn't matter here, just FYI) I can't do it alone, will ask my parents to go to a service center as soon as possible. Actually, it is me who is really really annoyed with these. So if I don't tell to take the car to repair, the car will remain with the same condition.
The ride quality is really annoying!

Thank you!

Thank you very much!

Will check as soon as possible. The noise, umm, it goes after sometime, say after it warms up.
Will do all the possible suggestions you mentioned here. Since I'm a 13 yearly old kid (I hope that doesn't matter here, just FYI) I can't do it alone, will ask my parents to go to a service center as soon as possible. Actually, it is me who is really really annoyed with these. So if I don't tell to take the car to repair, the car will remain with the same condition.
The ride quality is really annoying!

Thank you!
First, the age doesn't matter. IMHO its a good thing you started to do this at a very early age, you will be damn knowledgeable when you are at the Age to buy your first car. And please to check the Problem ASAP , generally in Cars, one mechanical problem leads to the other, the sooner you fix, better it is.

Jeno

Thread Starter #72
A lot has changed since my last visit to this forum.

Upgraded tyres to 175/65/14 continental cc5 and got the clutch changed.The clutch is now superlight and it's lighter than when it was brand new.

I must say a nice little car for city with decent highway manners and that look that never ages.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom