Chennai - Vandavasi - Thiruvannamalai

Thread Starter #1
Recently had a trip to Thiruvannamalai through Vandavasi.

I had four options of routs.

Option # 1 – Chennai – Thindivanam – TV Malai (NH 45, NH 66)
Option # 2 – Chennai – Polur - Arcot – TV Malai (NH 4, SH 129)
Option # 3 – Chennai – Kanchipuram – Vandavasi – Chetpet – TV Malai (NH 4 and several SHs)
Option # 4 – Chennai – Kanchipuram – Cheyyar – Arani – TV Malai (NH 4 and several SHs)

I am kind of person who loves to travel through urban and villages roads to enjoy the sceneries and people with lively environment. (Whenever possible). This attitude made me to select the Option # 4 onward journey and Option # 2 for return.

Got up by 4.30am and left the home by 5.30am. Headed towards Kanchipuram by enjoying early morning positive elements. Had a cup of coffee in a hotel at Kanchipuram. Then continued our journey in Kanchipuram – Vandhavasi road. Road condition of initial length of 10 ~ 15 KM was ok. After this road conditions are intolerant. A 30km drive over the potholes was horrible. We were totally out of driving pleasure in some areas. Average speed was 30kmph ~ 40kmph. Selecting this rout without checking about road condtion was a huge mistake. [frustration]
Apart from road condition this road is awesome. Tamarind trees, people, cattle, village temples (remember mathurai veeran and muneeswaran), country fields etc etc. As far as vehicles are concern the road was almost in zero traffic. Around 8.30am We had our morning brake fast at Chetpet. Chetpet to TV malai road is somewhat manageable. Here we maintained speed of 60kmph ~ 80kmph. Around 11am we reached TV malai temple and spent time untill 2pm.

Made our Return through Arcot. Thiruvannamalai to Arcot road was less trafic and full of sceneries. If you want to avoid state highway roads (Kannamangalam - Arcot) you have to go through Vellore which will add 10km ~ 20km in your trip. But here the state highway is trouble less. My rear Left tyre got burst when we started our return journey. I coudnt find the reason for this incident[confused]. However i suspect driving through poor road. I maintained 32 PSI before starting the trip. Finally we reached Chennai by 6pm.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
some snaps took in the Kanchipuram - Vandavasi road. I didn’t take any pictures when riding through tough road area. (Mood wasn’t happy enough to take pictures)

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey buddy nice set of pics.

The tyre already doesn't have any tread left over, kindly change all the tyres if all have this much of tread left.
And this was inevitable, as the tyres have gone bald.

Even i did my trip to tiruvannamalai, last year.

Nice trip dude,

I'm seeing this worst road for last 10yrs. still the road is in same condition,no one taking remedy for this road.

I too used this road three weeks back while return from pondy. the road was Really horrible & i was in urge to reach Vellore to receive my Brother-in-law from katpadi. i tried to reach atleast 50kmph, but i can't. later he reached home by bus.

Thread Starter #8
Nice trip dude,

I'm seeing this worst road for last 10yrs. still the road is in same condition,no one taking remedy for this road.

I too used this road three weeks back while return from pondy. the road was Really horrible & i was in urge to reach Vellore to receive my Brother-in-law from katpadi. i tried to reach atleast 50kmph, but i can't. later he reached home by bus.
Oh, How about Kanchipuram - Arani - Thiruvannamalai road my friend?

Sorry friend, i not traveled on Kanchipuram - Arani route. but Arani to Thiruvannamalai is a wonderful broad SH. we can easily maintain 80-100kmph on this route. Polur by-pass also recently opened for traffic. so we no need to enter Polur also.

The same broad SH from Thiruvannamalai is continue upto Arcot via Arani. from Arcot you can take NH 4. this route is just 10km extra then compare to Kanchipuram - Arani route. you wont feel any tired on this route & no problem will occur for our car also[;)]

Top Bottom