Chennai: Traffic Mismanagement.

Thread Starter #1
Last weekend, I visited Chennai after a long gap of nearly 6 long years.
From the Airport, it was an agonizing journey to Nugambakkam. Traffic was inching, and incredibly slow moving. And I used to think Bangalore traffic was the slowest. By Sunday afternoon, I realized -
1. Many roads do not have road dividers, enabling cars to turn into one direction of the road, cutting through the other, and also encroach onto the lane of the oncoming traffic. I would deem this as haphazard at the least.
2. There are very few zebra-crossings, which are useless themselves (pt. 3) There seem to be few rights for pedestrians, and crossing roads is I guess, a nightmare.
3. At traffic signals with zebra-crossings, there are shockingly, no pedestrian lights! What's the use of a few zebra-crossings when 15-20 seconds time minimum is not alloted for pedestrians to cross safely without having to negotiate through traffic? This is a glaring exclusion, as many tier-2 cities like Mysore have these!
4. There is absolutely no hard and fast helmet rule like there used to be several years ago, while even a tier-2 city like Mysore has it!
5. Though traffic is more haphazard than Bangalore, people don't seem to be in such a hurry, and one can't see motorists honking impatiently or abusing others at signals/when there is some obstruction.

There is some more I might have to say later.
What do you guys say? Is it the same elsewhere?
Feel free to tell me if I've been mistaken.

Last edited:
well, i am surprised to read this about a big city like Chennai. BTW, you visited Chennai or Bangalore last weekend? hehe

350Z

Core Team
If I’m correct, Mumbai traffic is even worse (It was for me at least). Frankly speaking, I find road etiquettes in Delhi to be much better in comparison with most of the other Indian cities. Some may feel I’m being little inclined but that’s how my experience has been yet. Be it Katra or Kanyakumari.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Well Arkin about traffic its very heavy because of the Metro Rail construction! They have taken half of the road for that purpose which leaves very little space left for road users.

And next is maybe that day the traffic was high. Today from Airport to my home Anna Nagar it took just 30 mins! In some days days it will take even 2 hours , purely luck!

Rest all i agree with you. Here many Chennai people have decent traffic sense even though the rules are not strictly imposed!

But even after all those negatives i can proudly say TN has some of the best road networks in India![:D]

Worried about chennai , i feel at least its moving.

Pondicherry is so conjusted now a days. You need to crawl in 2 wheeler and no space even to walk.
this is not only in city, almost throughout , yeas through out pondicherry road. In every signal you need to wait twice , some times hand signals used - makes even worse. You need to wait for 10 min in every signal.

Also people here are insane , chennai people are ok compared to here , When one stops , the rear one just take his right and next one follow the same making a nil movement as opposite person have no space. Even the educated idiots do not wait behind a car or bus.

Worse is on sat and sunday , where loads of ka and kl people thrive in for party. Ecr parties are ok as there is space to drive atleast in 40 , but in city you need to crawl. An eg My bike consumed half a litre or petrol once where i didnt switched off the engine and another day almost nil petrol as i switched off and pushed it inch by inch. Read again it is in bike. Think about car!!

Top Bottom