Chennai - Shirdi Best Route?

I can give a few bits on this,

Chennai - Hyderabad - zaheerabad - naldurg - tuljapur - shirdi route better avoid, as from hyderabad to shirdi the road is bad, especially the hyderabad mumbai highway which one has to take upto naldurg near solapur is under construction.

Chennai - Bengaluru - vijayapura - pandharpur - daund - ahmednagar - shirdi route, shortest of them all aprox 1200 kms one way, the road after vijayapur is single lane mostly upto shirdi, better avoid.

Chennai - bengaluru - belgavi - pune - shirdi route, this is the longest of the routes approx 1400kms yet worth it as you will be travelling on 4 lane highway, which are better and well maintained as compared to other two. Also as you are doing a very long drive it is necessary to have good facilities along the highway which this option provides you.

E pass is not required here in Maharashtra and Karnataka so not to bother, just be sure all your vehicle documents are up to date especially PUC and Insurance. Beware of overspeeding in Maharashtra especially City limits, the traffic department have become very vigilant off late.

Do not do the trip one way at a go!, i suggest break the trip in two parts, leave Chennai at 2am(as you intend to) take a 2-3hour halt between hubbali - kolhapur at many of good accommodations available along Bengaluru Pune Highway, and then proceed to Shirdi. Continuous long drive shall be detrimental to your ride as well as the passengers.

Personal opinion, avoid late night drives, especially between 12 to 4am. Plan your trip in such a way that you reach shirdi by late evening, have a good nap at night and proceed to Darshan with a fresh mind and body.

Your journey including the 2-3 hour halt, should take anywhere between 24 to 25 hours.

Drive safe, Keep safe.

Last edited:
I can give a few bits on this,

Chennai - Hyderabad - zaheerabad - naldurg - tuljapur - shirdi route better avoid, as from hyderabad to shirdi the road is bad, especially the hyderabad mumbai highway which one has to take upto naldurg near solapur is under construction.

Chennai - Bengaluru - vijayapura - pandharpur - daund - ahmednagar - shirdi route, shortest of them all aprox 1200 kms one way, the road after vijayapur is single lane mostly upto shirdi, better avoid.

Chennai - bengaluru - belgavi - pune - shirdi route, this is the longest of the routes approx 1400kms yet worth it as you will be travelling on 4 lane highway, which are better and well maintained as compared to other two. Also as you are doing a very long drive it is necessary to have good facilities along the highway which this option provides you.

E pass is not required here in Maharashtra and Karnataka so not to bother, just be sure all your vehicle documents are up to date especially PUC and Insurance. Beware of overspeeding in Maharashtra especially City limits, the traffic department have become very vigilant off late.

Do not do the trip one way at a go!, i suggest break the trip in two parts, leave Chennai at 2am(as you intend to) take a 2-3hour halt between hubbali - kolhapur at many of good accommodations available along Bengaluru Pune Highway, and then proceed to Shirdi. Continuous long drive shall be detrimental to your ride as well as the passengers.

Personal opinion, avoid late night drives, especially between 12 to 4am. Plan your trip in such a way that you reach shirdi by late evening, have a good nap at night and proceed to Darshan with a fresh mind and body.

Your journey including the 2-3 hour halt, should take anywhere between 24 to 25 hours.

Drive safe, Keep safe.
Hi,
Do we have to travel till Pune on the expressway or can we cut around Satara and take a short route to Shirdi?

Which route has good roads or 4 lanes?
1) Satara - Pune - Ranjangaon - Shirur - Nagar - Shirdi?
or
2) Satara - Pirwadi - Wadhe - Wagholi - Sakarwadi - Supe - Patas - Kashti - Arangaon - Nagar - Vambhori - Rahuri - Shirdi?
or
3) Satara - Chakan - Manchar - Malwadi - Sangamner - Shirdi?

I am planning a Shirdi visit somewhere in January 2020, but I want to know the best route to take. Most threads I've read on this topic suggest Chennai - Bangalore - Hubli - Kolhapur - Pune - Shirdi, but google maps suggests the route from Chennai - Nellore - Ongole - Nalgonda - Hyderabad - Osmanabad - Ahmednagar - Shirdi.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in distance, but I want to know which is the safest and most comfortable way especially maximum 4 lane NH. I can drive around 500-600 kms in a day on good highway conditions and plan to split the journey halfway.

If Hyderabad route, then stay at Hyderabad seems the best option but on the other route, which is the best location for a night halt?
Did you take up the road trip bro? I need some clarifications, please.

Hi, I'm planning for a road trip from Chennai to Shirdi next month. I have gone through the posts but it would be great if anyone did the trip recently pleas share me the best route, places to visit, stay ....

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom