Cheating / Short Fuelling Tricks at Petrol Pumps

Today morning on the way to office I experienced another cheating at a HP petrol pump. I asked for full tank refill and the guy filled 37 liters and was still going on till I asked him to stop. At that time I suspected foul play but I was not sure about the full tank capacity of my vehicle, but after reaching office I just checked that the fuel tank capacity of my i10 is 35 litres only [frustration]. I am going to catch that guy in the evening[gun]

travelfreak before you catch hold of the guy check whether you can fill more fuel in the tank than the company says.i have filled lot more in the tank of my vento than what the company insists is the tanks capacity. you might be wrong here.

travelfreak before you catch hold of the guy check whether you can fill more fuel in the tank than the company says.i have filled lot more in the tank of my vento than what the company insists is the tanks capacity. you might be wrong here.
Me too. Once I filled around 21 ltrs of petrol in my spark till auto cut. But after that I went to KLN motors for general check up and tell them about my worst FE. When I said about FE problem, they had sent a driver with me and first think he wanted to fill petrol upto neck. so i said okie and we started filling petrol and it went upto 22 ltrs or something. so total is 43 ltrs are something. actual capacity in my sparky is 38 as per the manual i believe.

I have read same kind of discussion in some other forums also and the conclusion was most of the cars can accept more than what is prescribed by the company.

When we fill upto brim, we can actually fill more than the tank capacity given in the manual.

But we won't wait for the tank to empty completely before a filling. There is alsways a reserve. In my car fuel tank capacity is 44 litres and reserve is 8 litres within this. So when we fill diesel after seeing the low fuel warning light, 38 liters can be filled to cut off level. Another 3 to 4 litres can be filled if it is upto the brim.

I have doubt about one particular pump attender in our nearby fuel station. Whenever he fills, I notice low FE.

In My fiesta when we go to chennai 150 kms from pondicherry we fill diesel in our car for RS1000 but one time i got it filled at a bunk for 1000 but this time i didnt go to chennai but a 30 kms away from it namely kovalam beach which is 120 kms in ECR Chennai-pondicherry up and down i have done done only 250kms and not more than that. I was shocked[surprise] that there is no diesel in my tank and after returning has to fill diesel. But when filling diesel i noticed in my fuel gauge didnt cross half tank [cry]mark also as its only 45 liters and for 1000 rs have to get atleast 22 litres already my tank will be having some 7-8 liters.
But i dont know what trick he used[anger]

Last edited:
While travelling on NH4 (Bangalore - Pune), Fuel stations on the highway at two places cheated on quantity. They gave printed bills which faded by the time we reached home. No trace of Pump name, location or diesel quantity.

Quantity filled was obviously less than what is shown on meter and bill since we found a sharp reduction in FE on a smooth 4 lane highway.

In mumbai, on whatever fuel station I have filled the fuel, the guy there have almost all the times insisted me to check the zero . Even when I am not paying attention, the guy would not start filling and shout at me or tap my car to check the Zero and until I give heads up he won't fill. But need to be careful next time.

In all those pumps I have filled fuel, they were showing the zero setting before filling.

Cheating if any, happens during filling as pointed out in some of the earlier posts.

The best way to get saved from all these is to prefer the same pump for filling again and again. I always get my car and activa fuel from the same filling station. I always keep sufficient fuel in the fuel tank when going for long distances so that I don't have to stop at any unknown fueling stations. For my activa I always have a bottle with 1 litre mark [;)] which I use at unknown fueling stations.

But many a times while using the bottle I have seen difference in the rate of petrol by few paise (25 to 45) this is known as surcharge scam. They earn 25 to 50 paise per liter here as the customer asks to fill for Rs 100,200 or 500 not 1,2 or 5 liters. While asking for Rs 200 petol we only see the Rupees meter not the Liters meter.

I used to measure FE by full to full tank method .
I got variable results . May be due to the causes you mentioned above .
Thanks , it is an eye opener.

well most of the bunks ive visited filled even without setting the meter , i usually fill 5 lt like that and they say that time is wasted to set the meter all that after going through this thread ive took 2.5 lt bottle and asked them for fuel (ive asked them to fill 2lt) , they filled the bottle the way without setting anything and he also stopped petrol like 3-4 times so that it wont fall out of bottle . Later i checked the quantity with measuring jar i had and it was close to 2 lt. so was that quantity less because he has delivered the fuel in installments

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I actually decided to wait till I check the FE during next fill. The reason being, this particular pump is known for honesty and I have been refilling at this station for the last one year and my FE never went down. For the next fill (hopefully just before the next impending fuel price hike[frustration] to save some bucks), I'll speak to the pump manager about this. Will update this thread with the climax(whether it is a cheating case or misunderstanding from my side[confused])

On long distance driving, best to tank full on pump which you know well before start of journey. If you drive petrol car, try filling at Shell, very good pump & rates are same as Govt pumps, diesel is expensive though.

What I do is if possible, when on bike, I fill on some pump. If I feel it good, use it to fill even in car. Nothing gives precise quantity & quality like a 2 wheeler [;)].
For diesel, I speak with my friends who are in travel & transport business for intercity driving.

Top Bottom