Changing Tata Nano's Front Wheel Size, Suggestions Required.

Thread Starter #1
Can I change Nano'a front tyres size 135/70R12 to 145/65R12 or 155/65R12?
Please advice. I don't have any Mileage related issue. I am getting 22KMPL. If it downs to 20KMPL nothing mattaers to me.

Regards ,
Udaykannt Lohar

This is not possible due to 3 reasons.

1. if tire width increased, it will touch body, while turning
2. Steering tight will increase
3. it will effect the over all performance and under steer problems may come.

Yeah,
Steering will be hard in that case.
I dont think it will touch with body ( still will check tomorrow for that)

And yes your driving pleasure of nano will be no longer.

Can i know the reason of upgrading front tyres?
As nano is rear wheel drive, any one will think about rear wheel upgradation.

I think the front and rear tire size difference will be the main reason behind the tire changing decisions. Already the rear tire is bigger than front. changing rear tire will effect the already poor braking and also speedo errors, as this is rear wheel drive

Thread Starter #5
I feel that while driving at 80-85 KmHR , Grip for front tyres are less than rear one. I feel getting tyre size as same of rear one may help to get better grip on road on 80-90KMHr speed.

I am driving at that speed regularly on two express highways, its pretty stable with that speed.

Remember that your windows should be rolled up else you will face very much drag

That car is designed to give you mileage , increasing the size of the wheel will affect your fuel economy , you can't just say 2 kmpl or 5 kmpl .

give it a shot and see how you go

In theory, going from 135 to 145 width should not be an issue. Before doing, check how much clearance you have inside the wheel well. Turn the steering all the way to the right, and take a look. Then turn it to the left and take a look again. Remember, 10mm wider tyre will add only 5mm width on the inside and 5mm on the outside. But that should be enough for you to feel difference in grip when breaking and turning.

^^ the thread is one year old and have no clue about the thread starter now.

@ code name47

One of my friend has done this on his 2011 nano( fixed the same rear size tires in front) and except the really hard steering, there no other problems.It feels more stable on the road. But it needs 'power'ful hands to steer while on low speeds/parking.
he done this because fed up with the TASS service and front wheel misalignment issue. one year before a long trip car hit a pothole on the road within the next 80 km front tire has fully damaged due to alignment loss. he contacted TASS and they replaced the Lower arm, done some other works, but he had flet different issues related that and at last he done something in a wheel alignment shop while changing to rear size tires in front.

Last edited:
The reason for small width wheel is to avoid over steer and topple the car. to make the front wheel loose grip as early to avoid toppling the car. It is one of the major safety elements, since it is a tall boy car. Definitely noticeable difference will not be there even if you change the wheel size, you can make your car little difficult to drive in slow motion. Totally i suggest don't waste the money rather spend it in better enhancement if needed. Bumpy ride and wheel size do not coincide here(For Nano) as the bumpy ride quality because of overall weight of nano is less than a tonne and those coil spring McPherson are managed to take heavy weights. If you don't want a bumpy ride, Change the car[shock], or Drive as slow as possible in bad road[drive].

Just my thoughts.[cheers]

Last edited:

Top Bottom