Central Locking System & Anti Theft System - Queries.

Thread Starter #1
I recently got the delivery of my HONDA BRIO (SMT). All the latest cars come with a central locking system (CLS), I believe.

The CLS stands for convenience where you can unlock all the doors by the click of a button on the car key.
Is that the only feature of the CLS or does it enhance the car security as well in case of a break-in or an attempt of theft??

Is a CLS equivalent to an anti-theft system?? Now that my BRIO has a CLS installed, does it make sense going for a car security system like AUTOCOP, Xenos, etc??

Dude,

As per my understanding, there are two different things involved here.

1) Central Locking : This allows you to open and lock all the doors by opening and locking the drivers side door lock from inside as well as outside. This does not have any thing to do with the remote.

2) Key Less entry : This is the portion where you open & lock your car by using a remote. Our Brio (SMT) key comes with it already, so you don't need an autocop or Xenos.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Honda brio all variants comes with factory fitted immobilizer, so no need to install another one
i think all cars now comes with immobilizer. correct me if i'm wrong.

but it won't help in a break-in. i mean yes the thief cannot take the car anywhere without the original key.

i'm confused. is there any system which helps us in case of a break-in ? and yes i'm aware of that irritating siren[lol]

Thread Starter #5
Are Central Locking and Keyless Entry the same??

@ Sudeep & Vinayan, thanks for the response.

Suppose, if a thief tries to break in by smashing the glass or cutting it .. will there be a buzzer or a siren with the provided security system / immobilizer??

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
for that check the side window of the car. i have seen the symbol on the windows of civic. you can see that symbol in the picture.

WD-HC064.jpg

if you have that symbol on the car that means your car will produce a sound if somebody breakes the window.

and for the keyless entry and central locking sudeep explained very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Central Locking and Keyless Entry the same??
Hey Santoclauz,

I understand your confusion, few years back with my first vehicle I used to think the same way, but I am not sure if you read my post.. so here we go again.

1) Central Locking : This allows you to open and lock all the doors by opening and locking the drivers side door lock from inside as well as outside. This does not have any thing to do with the remote.

2) Key Less entry : This is the portion where you open & lock your car by using a remote. Our Brio (SMT) key comes with it already, so you don't need an autocop or Xenos.

Below is a pic of my car window, which is an SMT too.

So the bottom line is you are all good & as I said before, you don't need an additional autocop or xenos keyless entry systems.

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
Thanks a ton to all for responding to the query.

With a new car, it becomes sort of a predicament when it comes to security. There were quite a few dudes from my building asking me to install an anti-theft device (most of them own a Maruti or a Chevy). But now thanks to you all, I know the answer [:)]

Sudeep, sorry for bugging you with the same question .. thrice [;)]

Thanks a ton to all for responding to the query.

With a new car, it becomes sort of a predicament when it comes to security. There were quite a few dudes from my building asking me to install an anti-theft device (most of them own a Maruti or a Chevy). But now thanks to you all, I know the answer [:)]

Sudeep, sorry for bugging you with the same question .. thrice [;)]
No worries bro!!

Glad to be of some assistance... Be a proud Honda owner.[:D]

350Z

Core Team
Is a CLS equivalent to an anti-theft system?? Now that my BRIO has a CLS installed, does it make sense going for a car security system like AUTOCOP, Xenos, etc??
Santosh, There are a few different things that I think need to be clarified:

> Central Locking: This is more of a convenience function. With the help of central locking, all the doors automatically lock / unlock once the master (normally driver’s side) door is operated whether manually or through remote.

> Remote Locking: Also known as remote keyless entry. As the name suggests it is a remote which is usually equipped along with the key. It has separate buttons for door unlock, door lock, boot unlock etc.

> Anti-Theft Alarm:
I assume you were confusing this with the central locking. The anti-theft alarm is a useful security function that turns on the buzzer if someone attempts to break-in the car.

> Built-in Immobilizer: Yet another useful security device which is offered as standard on almost every car on sale today. In short, it enables the car engine to turn on with its own specified key only. Different manufacturers call it with different names, such as Maruti Suzuki calls it iCATS (Intelligent Computerized Anti-Theft System) and Ford calls it iPATS (Intelligent Passive Anti-Theft System).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11
Thanks for shedding more light on this topic and making the jargons simple. Thanks to Sudeep as well, once again :)

As I said, a new car comes with a certain level of apprehensions. More from the security point of view, knowing the kind of people who breathe the same air as we do.

So, Central Locking and Remote locking dont make the car theft-safe. With the presence of an immobilizer, still would you require an Autocop or a Gear-Lock??

350Z

Core Team
So, Central Locking and Remote locking dont make the car theft-safe. With the presence of an immobilizer, still would you require an Autocop or a Gear-Lock??
Yes. Why not? While an immobilizer helps to prevent the entire car from being stolen, an alarm and similar features could prevent the thief from entering inside at all. It is important to remember that no car can be made ‘theft-proof’. All we can do is to make the job of thief difficult to get into the car because the burglars attempt to target those vehicles first which are much easier to break-in. Apart from that, we should use our common sense and not leave precious items inside the car, avoid leaving the car parked in an isolated place etc.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i m just buy Honda Brio but m confused about its locking system it dosent sound and there is no buzzer even if i left it unlock it dosent locked automatically ?????????? if there is not any buzzer then when sumone try to unlock it how it works ?????????

best central locking system for Maruti 800 5 speed

Hi guys,

Which is best central locking system for Maruti 800 5 speed , appx. cost & which is good place to buy & install it.

cheers,
naveen

Hi Guys

After reading all the posts in this thread, I shall like to clarify few things about central locking systems as under

1. Term central locking system is a misnomer. They should be called security systems
2. Central locking is one of the features of security system. meaning central locking is where you can lock all four doors with one key or one click on the remote
3. Cars which have central locking systems with engine immobilizers in built need keyless entry systems, i.e you can lock the car with the remote and open the car doors with remote
4. Security systems have host of other features such as
a) Stereo protection i.e if anyone tries to steal your stereo from the car, the alarm shall sound
b) Shock sensors or ultra motion sensors: Meaning if your car is being bumped into the alarm shall sound and if anyone tries to break open your car windows, the alarm shall sound
c) Boot/dicky entry protection: that is if someone tries to gain entry through the dicky /boot , the alarm shall sound
d) Anti Hijacking mode: If somebody tries to pull you of the car and hijacks it, then after some minutes the security system shall ask for security code and in absence of which the car shall stall and the engine shall cut off
there are other host of features

So you see security systems are just not simply central locking systems, they protect your car from different threats too

Top Bottom