CBSE Vs Stateboard

The most important thing is the quality of presentation of the content by the respective Boards and the quality of instruction in the school.

In either case, the one that promotes towards independent learning, to some extend at least and help students to think beyond what is given in books and the one discourages rot learning should be the one for your child.

This titles are based on the people who are speaking on these topic.they generally have their own parameters.if you get 60% then you are average for some.to others if you get 70% and to next bunch of people 80 is average and in this competitive scenario even 90 is not useful.

Re: CBSE vs ICSE vs English medium stateboard

My bad, I came so late on this thread.
Sethu sir, thanks for starting the thread. Though it is an automotive forum, many member would find this thread more helpful than the automotive shopper threads Rated five star.

By now, your son must have been in 11th. Updates please.

AFAIK, from eleventh standard onwards medium of instruction for all the boards is English. So good communication skill in English is must so as to progress in today's ira , no matter which board the student studied till standard 10, unless the parents and the student himself is looking to make his/ her carrier in the field of retail market or local politics in small towns or villages which are yet deprived of good lifestyle.

Now, where does this 'good communication skill in English' is going to develop? Obviously, any school irrespective of board can develop it if supported by parents, routinely at home

My children study in ICSC school, The reason is that there is no good CBSC or state board school around. There was one private run English medium school of state board, 500 m away from my home , but the teachers were badly underpaid. (Rs 2000 as compared to Rs 8000 for govt. owned school in those days ) hence I deleted it from my list.

There was one govt run stateboard school nearby where myself studied, it was a very good school then, hundreds of alumni as class one officers, docs, engineers, CA, businessmen etc. However medium of instructions is semi - English. The teachers are well paid, but now a days there is growing political interference and teachers have to tolerate it obviously at the cost of quality of education. And I remember, how badly I or other friends had to struggle to pass out the TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language)Hence I deleted it from my school.

There is a CBSC school @5km from my home. But I found lack of proper building and playground and other facilities. Also teachers in the school communicated with me in local language when I was trying to communicate in English with them hence I deleted that school also.

I took admission for my children in a ICSC school located 25 km from my home.Reasons -
1)Teachers encourage communication in English & 2) discourage use of any other language during breaks and extracurricular activities too, ofcourse this needs supplementation from parents at home.
2)Infrastructure was good (school buildings, playground, audio visual aids,computers, infirmary security personels etc. )
3) School management 's reputation, (school is 150 years old and rated number one in Pune. In India, nothing is immune from political interference now a days, but this school doesn't suffer much as they are also supported by few good top politicians.
4)School has got a website, it is possible to communicate effectively bothway.
Only disadvantage which I feel is ' too much homework'.

There is one more CBSC school @25 km from my home near the present school, where parents applause it for minimum homework. Most of the home work is completed at the school itself but the fees is 3 times higher than the present school. I am sure similar effort is possible from present school if the parents offer them additional fees.

IMO, It is necessary to take admission in CBSC or ICSC when the kids are in nursery or KG and if we find the kid is feeling too much burden of the syllabus then later on at high school level we can shift them to state board. The reverse is often not possible due to inability to communicate in English fluently and questionable capability to cope with the socalled vast syllabus.
In fact syllabus in ICSC \CBSC is vast but it is not too vast. It is basically parents expectation that the ward should excel in all the subjects equally irrespective of the likings of the student. A student who loves sports or environmental science might not be fond of mathematics equally. But parents knowingly and unknowingly keep pressurising the kid to perform excellent in mathematics where the ward is showing excellent performance in environmental science and average performance in Mathematics. So it is an attempt on the part of parents and the student which gives feeling that the syllabus is vast.
It is the physical & mental health of the kids which is more important than the board So admit the kid where he feels good and the health does not suffer due to burden of travelling and syllabus and performance.

Also, a student can be shifted from CBSC /ICSE to state board at the time of admission of 11th std, if we or the kid feels burden of the vast and detailed syllabus. Whoever says that CBSC school is better for those who want to appear for competitive exams such as IAS\ UPSC etc. I agree it is better but not essential. If these exams are CBSC syllabus based, then even st ateboard student can also succeed, probably he might take a year more than the CBSC. And no rule says that these exams should be passed in first attempt.
State board student is not used to take on vast syllabus in short time span.
However, those who want to appear for exams where age limits are stringent eg. NDA, it is better to keep CBSC board throughout.

One drawback or advantage of the ICSC board is that it gives lot of importance to English language as compared to CBSC /state board. Standard 3 student needs to go through written and oral exams in 1)Literature 2)grammar 3)spelling 4)comprehension every term, which I feel too much for the students age. However once my children's English communication skill reaches to internationally required level (IMO, Std 10 of ICSC) I might shift them to state board if they tell me that they are feeling burden of syllabus.

@mods, please edit the title, CBSC vs ICSE vs Stateboard English medium schools.

Obviously, distance from home is one of the decisive factor provided all other things mentioned above in bold while choosing school for my children are equal irrespective of board.

Fully agree with honorable member MU here. Fellow TAIger 'The Xover' is missed sorely here.

As a professional educator, I am mainly associated with University of Cambridge Curriculums - the class X equivalent IGCSE/O-Level and XII equivalent A-levels.
All these years I have had multiple opportunities to participate in and conduct numerous workshops/ training sessions, addressing diversified but key aspects in ongoing and evolving teaching-learning processes.

Earlier, I have also had my share of experience with Indian Boards as well, be it ICSE, Maharashtra State Board or CBSE. Though all these boards are great in their own way, basically provide a frame work for content, it’s delivery and mode of assessment. What matters is how well an Individual institution/School delivers a particular board/Curriculum. While satisfying the guidelines of a particular board, if a system is created within a school which should see the purpose of education much beyond preparing kids for seasonal examinations.

The emphasis shouldn’t be just on the content, but formulating an effective way to present and deliver the content. The key is to design the existing curriculum in a diversified way which bring out the best in the kids boosting their confidence to help them grow into independent thinkers and human beings.

I know education is business too, these days. Do a bit of research to know about the schools around you. Do visit those schools and spend some quality time speaking with their teachers, head masters and students to know about the existing systems in order to evaluate on them . I am sure the decision making shouldn’t be any difficult.

Am "L" board guy when it comes to my kid education or handling him, every day am learning something or other from him,
sometimes by lately felt i would have choose the option picked by my 5 years old kid,

to this thread context, my current stand is CBSE or ICSE as am in a metro called Bangalore
Always include your son in the discussion and consider his options, without his willingness or interest, it’s not wise to forcefully make him mug up everything doesnt makes sence,

what we believe is state board syllabus is easier, yes it is easier but one should check does it contain valuable information on par with CBSE or ICSE syllabus ? even if the state board syllabus is good does the school is good and teachers are really teaching the lessons seriously (i have witnessed some state board teachers doesn’t teach in class but the same teacher train the students well in his tuition @ home)

Idon’t think there is no point in parents compelling or adding more stress to 10 or 12 students, because am a state board student not average or below average, but i have passed my 12th exam on 2nd attempt, but now working in a MNC as team lead and few of the team members reporting to me are M-Tech and two of them finished MBA @ UK university

fate of your kid doesn’t ends or decided by 10th or 12th result but thats a turning point in their life; so, instead of focusing only at the results always look out for other options which best suits your kid and make sure they likes it.

Last edited:
I had done research about IGCSE & IB. I was impressed by IGCSE format of education. The principal, teachers were available for discussion. The teacher ratio was 1:8. School was centrally AC.
What I was impressed by their exam pattern,practical teaching method and teacher :student ratio which should be one of the decisive factor

Practical based teaching method eg. They arranged a visit to icecream factory so as to teach states of water and manufacturing of ice cream.
Question paper consisted a question as follows : It is 8 o'clock in the morning and you are standing facing sun, write down the name of the direction where your shadow is falling?
This is one of the best way to develop a student in to an independent thinker rather than making him mug up the names of directions.
However, fees was 58000 Rs for nursery six years back(now Rs 1 lakh)

For IB, the school was owned and named after Mercedes Benz and fees wasRs Rs 3L for nursery six years back. Research on net didn't yielded much info on the teaching methods and exam pattern.

IGSCE and IB were out of my budget, as I had to arrange a separate car and driver for my kid. My wife was not ready to send my kid to school alone along with the driver and school bus facility was not available. Hence I had to resign a govt. job and do the things on my own.

Thread Starter #24
Thanks Tornado, manojodungat and MAdhu.

Tornado, yes as you have mentioned my son is in 11th the details are

• He has joined State board
  • Took Commerce, Economics, Business mathematics and Accounts
  • Some how he has decided to go for CA
  • He is good at communication. But still have some kind of shyness. That is the main reason am taking him along with me for some TAI meets where he can meet so many people (most of them are non tamilians in case of inter-city meets) an easy way of improving his communication skills as well get rid of his shyness.
  • He has joined Chinmaya Vidyala, Virugambakkam which is very close to my house (hardly a KM)
  • Studies are going good, but still he is kind of childish behavior. I think next year he might get serious about his studies. (as I did in my school days)

As Madhu said, lot of things are there to decide everyone's fate, working style, living style, life etc. I was from Corporation school in madurai and when I landed in chennai in 1990, even-though I know English, i was not well versant in it. But slowly i have improved my communication skills and writing skills. Even now, my bozz says that I do good job in communication department.

So I have to wait and see how he is going to proceed. I have not forced him into anything. Everything is as he wished.

Now the next worry started for me. Next year my daughter will be in 10th and son will be 12th. I pray to god that they both do well in their studies and take good next step.

Thanks Tornado, manojodungat and MAdhu.

Tornado, yes as you have mentioned my son is in 11th the details are

• He has joined State board (Good choice as per the group/ school i heard about the school earlier as i was their 10 years back and my relatives are still there)
  • Took Commerce, Economics, Business mathematics and Accounts (insted of doing BE or MBBS this is a good choice again, its not like doctor or engineer for every tax payer an auditor is required CA doesnt have peak or fall in the market but it has its own great level of influience in market)
  • Some how he has decided to go for CA
  • He is good at communication. But still have some kind of shyness. That is the main reason am taking him along with me for some TAI meets where he can meet so many people (most of them are non tamilians in case of inter-city meets) an easy way of improving his communication skills as well get rid of his shyness. (even i was a tamil medium guy during my school days and failed in tamil subject [embarass], he will be fine in communication sooner )
  • He has joined Chinmaya Vidyala, Virugambakkam which is very close to my house (hardly a KM) (during 2001 i was lived in virugambakkam near AVM (avichi) School)
  • Studies are going good, but still he is kind of childish behavior. I think next year he might get serious about his studies. (as I did in my school days) {in other way thats good taking things seriously cause stress and worries and unhealthy too }
As Madhu said, lot of things are there to decide everyone's fate, working style, living style, life etc. I was from Corporation school in madurai and when I landed in chennai in 1990, even-though I know English, i was not well versant in it. But slowly i have improved my communication skills and writing skills. Even now, my bozz says that I do good job in communication department.

So I have to wait and see how he is going to proceed. I have not forced him into anything. Everything is as he wished.

Now the next worry started for me. Next year my daughter will be in 10th and son will be 12th. I pray to god that they both do well in their studies and take good next step.
My inputs are in bold,
regarding your daughter, in general comparing to guys, girls are bit more serious when it comes to studies, she might have inherited many of your great habbits so hope both of your kids comes with good colours at their exams

may god bless everyone

Very nice topic

I studied in state board all my life. I studied in PSEB ( Punjab School Education Board) one of the corrupt departments in northern India.
I along with my mates were bright students. Me and my friend managed to get position in State's Merit List and got scholarship for 11 and 12th in DAV college . It was 12th where PSEB showed their colors. Me and my mates were waiting for results and then unexpected happens. News arrives that exam papers stolen/misplaced. 3 of my mates failed and out of them 3 of them passed including me with absolutely horrible marks. That was the turning point of my life. I ditched Indian System straight after and landed in Melbourne.

Out of the group of 6 friends. 3 are now in Canada , 2 in Australia and 1 in India.

CBSE and ICSE must be better then state boards as it seems like they are well organised.
My feedback is based on my experience so please don't take offense of this.

Good luck to all with their studies.

Last edited:
In Maharashta state boards, exams are forbidden till std 8, students are passed till 8th without examinations. And teachers in govt funded schools are used for election related works such as update of voters list.

Very nice topic, I am father of 2 years son and i too had this confusion.

I lived in Surat where only 3 schools were CBSE those are KV during my school time. I am totally KV-ian.

My KV school was in Govt. Fertilizer township. I am a average student between 45-50 % type. Now the compare is here. In our township we had two schools one is KV (CBSE) another was (GSEB State board).

Yes its true scoring in CBSE is tough where is GSEB average students used to score above 65% easily. In my SSC from CBSE i got 46% My dad changed my studies to State Board where in 12th I scored 66% same my other mates with CBSE were failed or below 50%.

But now Surat got lots of school with CBSE/GSEB/ISCE

Now i am thinking where to have my son admission after 3 years when he will be 5 Year of Age.

For KV getting admission is tough as they prefer Govt Officer Dependant first than ST/SC and others. So i thought i will try to get my son education from CBSE but from different school not KV (Kendriya Vidhyalya).

One thing i Learn from KV. You will get every type of Students from every state

We have to take consideration what his next ambition after Std 12th. I do not have experience of TN State Board so cannot comment on that. CBSE Board seems to be best suited if goal is to enroll in some engineering courses. CBSE board will definitely help him to get a seat in good engineering college if he works hard for next 3 years ( Std 10, 11 and 12th). Please ask him to solve as many as numerical and enjoy the study rather too much worried to get 95%. CBSE board helps him to be in line with all the other students from different state and also engineering exams like AIEEE.
Even if you opt for State board but make sure it should be english medium.

Note: Encourage your son and bring competitive nature. Also talk to him more and more and be watchful on his company. One of my nephew was too good in study till 11th Std and we were sure that he will be in IIT but right now he is in a mediocre college AMITY.This all happened because of friends, facebook, bike, expensive mobile etc.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
We have to take consideration what his next ambition after Std 12th. I do not have experience of TN State Board so cannot comment on that. CBSE Board seems to be best suited if goal is to enroll in some engineering courses. CBSE board will definitely help him to get a seat in good engineering college if he works hard for next 3 years ( Std 10, 11 and 12th). Please ask him to solve as many as numerical and enjoy the study rather too much worried to get 95%. CBSE board helps him to be in line with all the other students from different state and also engineering exams like AIEEE.
Even if you opt for State board but make sure it should be english medium.

Note: Encourage your son and bring competitive nature. Also talk to him more and more and be watchful on his company. One of my nephew was too good in study till 11th Std and we were sure that he will be in IIT but right now he is in a mediocre college AMITY.This all happened because of friends, facebook, bike, expensive mobile etc.
100% true.

Am still watch them (FB as well along with friends) to have some kind of control. Anyway, thanks for the sincere advice.

Top Bottom