CBSE Vs Stateboard

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

Do not know whether this is the right place or not. If not MODS can remove it or move it to right place.

Hope friends know that I am in Chennai. My son is in 10th standard. He is studding under CBSE syllabus.

Next year in 12th I have option of letting him continue in CBSE or change to a matriculation school under state board.

He is an average student.

Myself and My wife are confused so much. If we need to change his school in couple of months we have to apply for TC.

I need some suggestions and Ideas in this regard.

I am yet to understand what it means to be an "average student". And I am afraid to say but just Imagine what a person undergoes when somebody tags him "just average"
Considering the social standards I was a below average cbse passout,
And my younger brother have Distiction in stateboard.
My parents might have realized thier folly to follow british imperial system of education called cbse and doesnt want thier second son to suffer so they prefered the stateboard.

@Sethu,

I think it is better to change him to state board according to my experience. Now all the state boards are following something called a integreted syllabus and which will be very helpful for the students than CBSE. Since Tamilnadu got best of the State run institutions for engineering or other studies and a state syllubus will suit more for him. Even I am following the same for my son.
@Jayadev, I think it is not taging or something, but it is a fact that a father knows about a sons performance and he can guide him where he fits, but obviously the father will never say to son he is average or below average some thing like this. It is a truth to be admitted and guide our children which is more suitable for them. In my studying days my parents never bothered whether CBSE or State, becuase there was not that kind of too much competitive atomosphere those days as this atmosphere is more created by the parents of these days where children are suffering[cry]

Gurala, I somehow believe parents are most of the time mistaken concerning studies of their children. I myself am father of a child.I can see if there is slight hint of descrimination from us parent's side children can catch it immaterial of we say it directly to them or not.

Their are always two ways of saying one thing , glass is half full and glass is half empty.
The negative approach discourages a child's growth psycologically and physically. And that is why many of the reputed institutions have removed grade system .coming to the topic
Even my wife did study cbse until 6th and continued with stateboard after that,
I dont think there is anything special in cbse syllabus other than being strict and stressed , where as state board have been more liberal and homely acadamically.

Just from my own experience.

@Jayadev,

I completely agree with your opinion here, but

believe me I am not that kind of father who like to discriminate the child and I am really against to it and the increasing the stress for children. My sons study in 7th standard believe me we never interfere in his studies and make him stressful at all and we have a attitude always "take as it comes", but my son studies well and I never bother for his grades are % but tell him always to study to learn something and not to write exams and get the best grade.

This CBSE fever started by the corporate schools and colleges by cashing the over enthusiasm of the parents of today(you find them 95% in the country) which put a child in very stress studying pattern where all these children who study on CBSE schools leave home around at 7am in the morning and return back 8pm Oh !! it looks very funny to me for this kind of study without any physical activity. So I always suggest who ever I come across not to put stress to the children mind leave them freely and make them learn something from the subject !! which will of a great use for them in future[:)]

One thing is sure that CBSE are more strict and requires more effort from students, where as state boards are simpler. And when you see difference between the students from CBSE and students from state board after 10 years, they might be working together at same level in same company doing same work. So why to keep unnecessary burden on children.

The place where I stay people are mad behind putting their children in ICSE level, where I am dying explaining them that why to put so much burden on small kid. let him study in SSC board and he can be better engineer through that board as well. I am also from SSC board and many of my class mates in diploma and degree were from ICSE and CBSE. But when going for job it never mattered that which secondary school board you are from. What matters was degree marks.

I have also heard people arguing about the type of mind / IQ child develop in ICSE level schools, what the hell. As a parent spend some time with child teaching the child basic maths of life, general knowledge and here you go, your child would be better than those 100s of child. Instead of presenting child a IPAD, present him a football, cricket or hockey kit. let him be physically fit as well. Parent can't just leave every area development of child on school.

Note: This reply is no offense to any one as parent. This I think is what happening around me. I thought should be shared.

CBSE, ICSE, State Board

According to me, It depends on convenience.

If you are one of those lucky people who don't have to change locations/Cities to make a living, get admission for your Children in a good State Board School.

If you are expecting, transfers/change of jobs and hence location, then CBSE will be a better option.

Cities like Bangalore has majority of Schools following ICSE syllabus and therefor its easy to get a admission in a suitable school.

There is nothing like CBSE students suffer for 12 hours and State Board students enjoy life. That again depends on the School.

My son in a CBSE School reach home by 2:00 PM (8:00 AM to 1:30 PM)
Less home work, Very less Project work and he is really enjoying his school days.

His friends in our neighbourhood in a famous Stateboard school are having a tough time.

As far as load on students are concerned, in my experience (after seeing the pattern in various states) my observation is as follows.

State Board - Syllabus is lighter than other two but number of text books and work load is more. (depending on the School it can either relaxing or tough for the students)

CBSE - Syllabus is tougher than State board. Less number of books, less home work, less Projects and in general work load is less.

ICSE - Toughest of the three. More work load and more Projects/Home work.

Again its all depend on the School.

In the case of Sethu, I would suggest a good State Board School in Chennai which will also help to score a better percentage in 12th exam.

Last edited:
hai sethu sir
to everyones notice i just finished my 12th exam in march.SAME AVERAGE STUDENT.
my Friend who studied CBSE shared his opinion.
Everyone say that they may ask questions from any where in the book and students have to understand everything and answer.
This was the opinion from CBSE students as i studied in a school with CBSE 10th AND 12TH stateboard.
My opinion about Stateboard
we understand or not we have to MUG IT UP
i always get scolding from my teachers for not reproducing which is on the book.
as i always write everthing in my own language.

ANY TEACHERS IN OUR FORUMS

The CBSE syllabus has a broader coverage, but naturally is somewhat superficial. State boards vary a lot but tend to more focussed.

If you are after competitive exams then the only real options are CBSE or ICSC. Else you have to take a call.

Thread Starter #10
My god. I have never expected this thread would have so many traffic and lot of replies from our friends.

Thank you very much friends. as of now based on other factors and suggestions from our friends I will have the option like 80:20 [State:CBSE]

Jeyadev sir, I have never exposed to my son that he is a average student. I always encourage him and always tell him that he has capability and he can do it. But I know how he is studying and the interest towards studies na and the marks he score. Based on that I said he is an average. Even I was an average in my school days.

Nothing else.

Gurrala,
I think It is bit offensive and disrespect to go overboard and discuss more than what topic is intended or what thread starter has asked for.
I have done these offense several times in Tai, I dont know if its my very nature or something wrong in me.
But I feel and suggest we should hold back our impetus and enthusiasm for others sake. It may look awkeward sometimes, What say?

Jayadev, Are they such serious[surprise], OK if so, I take back my comments and tender an apology if some body hurt with them[cry] and request Mods to remove the post !!

I am single, so can't comment as parent, but this is what I feel based on Maha state board i.e. SSC -

Compared to CBSE/ICSE, the state board levels are tad lower and by the time they pass out 10th, the SSC kids are atleast 2 years behind CBSE students. If the students wants to opt for IIT, CBSE is better than SSC -self experience. Same is the case with GMAT, GRE, CAT and XAT - again self experience.
In Maharashtra, the local students get reservations so that they are not outsmarted by students from other states having advantage of CBSE/ICSE.[lol]

Also, if you plan to shift out of TN, then best to have central board. It is for this reason that kids of defence personal & UPSC chaps are in CBSE board as curriculum is same.

As for me, was very good at studies till 8th std.....then graph went below till 12th standard, had ATKT in FY, changed my subject & scored first class. Culprit was choice of subjects, so better decide about this in advance.

And as far as results are concerned, they are dependent on following things -

Your studies,
Ability to scan, copy, print [lol],
Type of supervisor and
Finally, the mood of examiner. I am sure that chap must have fight with his wife, after which he checked my paper, coz I failed in that one subject, while my friends whom I helped passed.

And most importantly, I have concluded that there is no relation between academical studies & money. Infact, most of the rich people whom I have seen are not highly academically educated. [glasses]

yes i agree that CBSE is advanced than stateboard . the only reason i think it is because the syllabus of CBSE updates very often and state boards is same . im schooled from both CBSE as well as state board worst thing i feel even now is that in state board if you can reproduce that same content as it is from text book its done, you score very good which i was not good at .
im not printing machine and moreover the syllabus is the same my parents have studied
next comes the private schools who boast about good marks in 10 th and IIT FOUNDATION at early classes these schools are making cash from parents desire to give their children quality education .
i sometimes laugh at names of certain schools like xxx techo school and his competetor opens his school with name like xxx e-techno school [lol]. and with fees ranging from 30k to 1.5lac per annum they are looting innocent parents who always think about bright future of their children

i dont think marks are important as s-class said it depends on mood of evaluator heres my experience in AUTOMOBILE engg subject paper i got 26/75 marks ( just pass) but i know i didnt write that bad and gave paper for re-evaluation and got 51/75 marks now thats how is paper evaluation
S-class i agree with your point that evaluator must have fought with his wifey[lol]

Top Bottom