Cars Of My Life – The Ignis (2021)

Thread Starter #76

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES:
MY IGNIS : BUMPER CORNER PROTECTORS

IGNIS 2021.3.jpg

I just tried to add a popular Bumper Corner Protector available in Amazon India.
Tried various positions, finally I felt okay with this position due to the unique design of the IGNIS Bumper.
Prepared the surface with surgical spirit ,Warmed the double side tapes using a hair dryer before affixing (used the default double side tapes, except in the tips where I added original 3M tape).

Pros:
Good Quality, Affordable , Acceptable adhesive sticker quality, enhancing the look ( @ depends one's own perception ! [;)] )
Cons:
Chrome strips are usual Chinese stuff, rubbery, may not be durable if uncared.

IGNIS 2021.1.jpg

IGNIS 2021.2.jpg

Thread Starter #78

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
THE UNCOMFORTABLE TRUTH OF CAR CUSTOMISATION:
Please note, this is only an Ownership Experience Sharing Thread with a good intention; would make the author happy if the readers feel something interesting, practicable and useful.

The major difference between old generation cars (E.g. Premier Padmini & Ambassador) and new generation cars, the present generation cars are equipped with computer controls like ECM, BCM and ABS modules.

They control and ensure safety on three most important things –
  • Electrical
  • Mechanical
  • Stability / CG * Center of Gravity.
Hi-tech Cars have more complex computer controls where one cannot add any aftermarket thing easily, even a bulb. Their maintenance service cost would be exorbitant. In some countries, adding accessories in cars are prohibited.

As on date, most of the Indian Cars have some flexibility and make them to add with some aftermarket accessories like Horns, Ambient / illuminated scuff plates / poodle lights, better Head Units, Head Light upgradation, adding Fog lights, DRLs etc., but please note that the manufacturers encourage only such OE accessories at their dealer’s spot. Manufacturers even leave provisions for extra accessories with permitted loading as ACC slot at fuse box.
The Cars are sold in different versions to suit one's budget, but designed to provide facilities to add some more accessories.

By default, at manufacturers side the electrical tracks are properly insulated by fire proof materials. Though many times people say that no wire cutting and coupler to coupler connection, but in reality, they are actually opened and tapped to add a new electrical accessory; invisible tapping into electrical wire by slicing or crimping happens, even at Dealers spot.

Therefore:
  • If one is keen about keeping originality, kindly don't add anything more. Buy the top end model where you may get almost everything you want.
  • If you are concerned about ECM, BCM and ABS modules, even adding aftermarket performance filters in engine section, incompatible chrome muffler tips, adding different bulbs & 12V gadgets like Car Cam, taking multiple connections from one source like from dome light point at electrical side may all be wrong; equally, upsizing wheels / tyres & suspension upgrade at mechanical side.
  • Also wrong, adding heavy bumper guard, metal roof rails and oversized speakers as the body weight of the car should never be exceeded more than 10% on permitted load of the kerb weight for proper Center of gravity.
One can notice from my threads that I have never done any performance or extreme customization but, did some simple cosmetic things that makes me happy and my car unique - that is in my point of view. I do it, because I never treat my car as a material but a part of my family.

In my opinion, if cars are bought and kept as it is without customization, there would not be more Car Enthusiasts or Automotive Threads…..

The above is the reflection of my experience and understanding.

It's your choice to accept or ignore.

My only request, do ensure all precautions if you prefer to customize your lovable vehicle.

Regards,
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #80

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
CAR HEAD UNIT SOME VIDEOs & AUDIOs PLAY ISSUES SOLVED!
This article will also help who owns even a different car with a touch screen Head Unit while they come across such issues.

IGNIS 1A.jpg

We see a simple, beautiful Head Unit as OE in all most all top end model cars produced by Indian Maruthi or Suzuki abroad.
We know it has Android Auto and Apple Car play inbuilt, but not a pure Android system.
Honestly, this OE six speaker system had enough power to entertain the car owner, but has some issues.
It has no Full HD display (1920 x 1080 pixels), not even a proper HD display screen (1280 x 720 pixels) and can't PLAY ALL VIDEOS AND AUDIOS as pure Android system does.

This will make us feel unhappy when we are unable to enjoy our favorite ones.[sad]

BUT, We have a collection of favorite Audio songs and Videos, Right?

So what next?

MARUTHI INFOTAINMENT 1.jpg

We will be able to enjoy only when an Audio or a Video codec are compatible with its inbuilt decoders.
Our hands are tied with limited codecs, limited compression rate and, apart from no video playback while driving - for safety.
I did some research and found out to get the best out of it to enjoy my favorite videos, and other Audio songs.

If we follow certain procedures, we can get the best clarity in audios while driving and make our favorite videos to play while resting.

AUDIOS

1. Always try to get your favorite audios in AAC 320 format, or MP3 320 while ripping audios from CDs by using Windows Media Player.

Open & Change the setting in your Windows- WM Player, insert your CD, Rip and save for your personal use.
While downloading (legally) from internet always prefer to download in these formats if available for better clarity. (Higher the compression lowers the clarity)
Note, The Best Lossless Audio formats like WAV, FLAC can’t be played by this unit.
You can also utilise this free open source BEST SOUND EDITOR - fre:ac for CD ripping and converting to the format of choice. LINK
MARUTHI INFOTAINMENT 2.jpg

VIDEOS

I felt, the audio of a video has better sounding than from the regular pure audio format, as the Audio part plays even though video play is restricted while driving.
The only issue, we should know how to make our favorite videos play in the best compatible format.
After some research, I found these simple steps to make it happen.[:D]

For this, you need three softwares for doing in MS Windows, which are legally free fortunately.

1. MEDIAINFO , helps to find whether your media will definitely play . LINK
2. WINX-YOUTUBE-DOWNLOADER, helps to select and download the compatible video that can be played. LINK
3. AVIDEMUX, helps to trim the compatible video if you want to cut the unwanted part. LINK

The following screen shots will guide you:

MARUTHI INFOTAINMENT 3.jpg

MARUTHI INFOTAINMENT 4.jpg

MARUTHI INFOTAINMENT 5.jpg

NOTE:

Audios are best @ 320 Kbps in AAC or MP3 formats.

Videos are best @ Resolution of 1280X720 (16:9), Frame rate up to or below 30 FPS, and coded by AVC. All others will never play or leave only Audio or have jerky video lag issues.
The inbuilt audio in video must be as - AUDIO STREAM property @ 128 to 180 Kbps/44kHz/2 Channels AAC LC. - should be indicated by Mediainfo.(Refer Picture)

Set in the EQ - Bass/Mid/Treble to your preference

Enjoy your favorite Audio and Videos to its best.[cheers]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #82

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
AFTERMARKET CAR SWITCHES:

I have added a DRLs control switch in my IGNIS.

Since the source is connected to ACC line, I felt for a need of ON/OFF switch so that I can switch off the DRLs when not required.
The difficulty I came across that I could not find a matching switch to suit the slot in the dash. I made an analysis and found out the type of aftermarket switches available to suit our various cars like in this picture.
Ultimately I found out the switch meant & sold for TOYOTA CAMRY cars is compatible with IGNIS.
It is available in Amazon India, but little expensive @ Rs. 650/- and takes little extra shipping period.

Though, the connection guide lines say –
Red wires should be connected to battery +,
Black wire should be connected to battery -,
Green wire should be connected to load + (load- connected to the battery -),
Yellow wire can be connected to battery + or not connected

BUT
I have connected the RED to ACC positive, BLACK to body earth, Green to input line to on the Blue light in the DRL (word) , and Yellow to output to light on the on Blue Mark (Bar) in the switch. This ensures that the switch to light DRL word while car is on ACC input mode, and to light on both BAR and DRL word blue lights during output mode while the Car DRLs are ON, helping the indications as correctly visible during Day & Night.

Hope, this article / posting helps anyone who wants to add an extra switch in the car.

IGNIS 2021.jpg

IGNIS 2021, 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #83

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
CAR DUSTBINS: TO KEEP OUR CAR ORGANIZED AND HYGIENIC!
(AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES: FOR MY IGNIS)

Car Dustbins ensure that our vehicle remains clean throughout the ride. It helps in finding a place while throwing something like a chocolate wrapper or a disposable coffee mug during driving, by temporarily storing those trashes.
Market is flooded with cylindrical cup holder types and in vibrant colors.
BUT,
I preferred:
  • A stylish, subtle colored, good grade plastic material, compact design and,easy to clean.
  • Trash bin can be placed in between the seats, in the trunk, in a cup holder, in the center console or in the door side but, my choice is - in the door side @ flexible to keep inner or outer side of the door pocket..

IGNIS 2020,4.jpg

IGNIS2020,5.jpg

I recently bought the one that suits my liking - Maruthi OE one, and just sharing the details here.
It is available in two colors at authorized dealers for Rs.250/- Please note the size dimensions - it is small and cute, can be used in any car [:D]

IGNIS 2020,1.jpg

SOME MARKET DESIGNS:
IGNIS 2020,2.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #84

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
FLOWING SEQUENTIAL TURN SIGNAL INDICATORS for IGNIS

....... ...................................................................................................
IGNIS 2020.gif

Whether you like it or not, but I love those active flowing sequential turn signal indicators and, now I adopted to my IGNIS!

I have written a very exhaustive thread posting about this in my previous car thread My New Honda City in White - The Albus, please don’t miss to read it.

PREPARE:

IGNIS 2021, Dr MUDHAN.jpg

There is no need to remove the Bumper top grill, but removing the nuts and plastic fasteners on the top, makes easy to insert and keep it over the head lights, more towards front.

As emphasized, to ensure 100% water proof don’t miss to cover both the ends (dust cap sides) of the silicone strip with Teflon tape and Fevicol MR glue. Check whether you have received the LEFT and RIGHT ones by seeing the copper Letter (R&L) markings on the LEDs strip inside.

I didn’t want to use the entire length of 60 cms. as that will spoil the look of IGNIS, as in this video:

IGNIS 2021.3.gif

So I cut to the exact length as inspired by this YouTube Video:

PASTE:

Paste the strips in correct directions (Thick lining of the strip facing front, indicator flow moving outward ...) on both side of the headlights, with the paste on the given side by removing the blue liner. Don’t use any extra strong adhesives like FEVI KWIK as suggested in some YouTube videos [evil] as it can’t be removed later if there is any fault. You can use a thin strip of Double Side 3M tape if necessary without masking the LED Beads on the down side.

CONNECT:

Absolutely no wire cutting involved, simply insert the Yellow and Black into the OE bulb socket and protect against water damage or loose contacts by proper insulation. Ensure all necessary precautions to prevent short circuits by any wrong doing.

I did not use the Red wire meant for DRLs, as I felt it’s not required for my Alfa Type Head lights. Those who want it, can connect to ACC fuse point for automatic on / OR / Parking bulb + line socket.

Insert the Yellow & Black wires into the upper holes in the female socket and bring over to the pin holes and firmly insert into it (you may use a safety pin carefully) pass the wires by side so that they are not blocking the bulb side male socket while pressing/fitting back. See that part of YouTube Video here only, but Ignore his method of pasting the strips, as it is wrong – the thick border should come in the front for neat, diffused illumination.

PURCHASE LINK:

Now, it’s available in Amazon @ Rs. 375.00 with inbuilt controller. LINK

IGNIS 2020.1.gif

IGNIS 2021.1.gif

If you like it, you can make a try [:D].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #85

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
THIS THREAD IS INDEXED

IGNIS.jpg

Dear Forum Friends /Visiting Guests & My Well-Wishers

Good Day.[:)]

I understand, this thread is slowly getting popular amongst Car Enthusiast and I could notice around 100 Visitors / Views a day.

I have indexed my postings in this thread for the benefit of readers, for them to find their interest of information. INDEX

Kindly note, this is a non-commercial forum where members are allowed to share their interest & experience for the benefit of other like minded persons. The only expectation from you, please become a member of TAI ( https://www.theautomotiveindia.com) and do share and interact with us, that will inspire a person like me and strengthen the forum as well.

This thread may not become popular like my previous thread Honda City in white - The ALBUS. that has crossed more than 7.89 lacs Views, but I assure you that I take lot of interest to share my experience about this cute, little car.

IGNIS road presence may not be in a significant number, but still there is a sect of people who loves this car. Many have started their own YouTube channel, but honestly I am yet to find online a real ownership review that motivates other IGNIS lovers.

I have not done anything flashy like oversized alloy wheels, Rolls-Royce type sparkling roof to give the impression of a starry night sky etc., but simple modifications that enhance the car outlook and some are really functional. One thing, I reiterate, these DIYs are universal, also suits to other cars.

Some more beautiful, functional modifications are on the way, with a hope that you would like them.[cheers]

Thank you
Regards,
Dr MUDHAN.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #86

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
IGNIS : MODIFIED AC FAN CONTROL KNOBS
It's the first of its kind and ... it is beautiful !

IGNIS CAR.jpg

IGNIS 2021A.jpg

IGNIS 2021B.jpg

Right from the first day the IGNIS Zeta came to our home, I started exploring the possibilities of changing the HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) Knobs which looked to me as cheap & dated.
I did the same thing to my ALBUS, the third generation facelift Honda City that was appreciated and followed by many Honda city lovers. READ MORE

One thing that I noticed is these AC CONTROL KNOBs are used in all versions of IGNIS worldwide and many other models of Maruthi & Suzuki till date.[sad]

Pulling out the knobs made me to study the gear design and, I started searching compatible Modern Knobs that reflects better look & attractive night illumination.

Finally found out something compatible in AliExpress and no other source. Unfortunately, it was not possible to import as this site is presently banned in INDIA for individual buyers.[cry]

LINK: Car Air Conditioning AC Knob Heat Control Switch Button Knob For Suzuki Swift Ciaz Splash Mazda VX-1 ERTIGA 2017 Proton

Though many such things are available in Amazon.in for an expensive amount through Shop & Ship methods, imported via other countries like Malaysia /USA. BUT, this one meant for Suzuki Model Cars was not available anywhere in Indian online sites.

My daughter helped me by sending from Australia, though it became little expensive @ 31.5 AUS Dollars (11.5 Cost + 20 Shipping).
It took almost 2 months to reach me despite it was an Australia Express Post due to pandemic.

IGNIS 2021D.jpg

IGNIS 2021 E.jpg

At last, I got it.
The quality of these knobs are excellent. Honestly, the OE knobs are of poor quality that disappointed me very much.
The gear design matched but not neither very tight nor loose. May be I should have tried the 34 mm type, nevertheless, I fixed it by adding a thin paper strip inside the inner clips.
Only thing that still to be solved is, I could not pull out the original center FAN knob as it is very tight and I am afraid of using extra ordinary force, so left out as it is already a rounded, decent design. IF ANYONE KNOWS, PLEASE GUIDE ME THE WAY TO REMOVE IT.

My IGNIS has now an added beauty in the interior that makes it UNIQUE again.[cheers]

IGNIS 2021 D.jpg

IIGNIS 2021C.jpg

Sir, I have found out your wonderful thread. I am a working woman and need to get guidance from you. We are planning for a small automatic car, mostly used in city and nearby native village. I am very much interested in IGNIS Alfa, but my Hubby prefers the PUNCH. I have become a member of this forum to know this from you as you are the right person. Please Oblige.

INDU.

Thread Starter #89

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
IGNIS vs PUNCH
IGNIS.jpg

I am very much interested in IGNIS Alfa, but my Hubby prefers the PUNCH. I have become a member of this forum to know this from you
Welcome Indu to our TAI forum. Thank you for your reposed confidence.
Your choice is right … and, your husband’s preference is also right.

Confused? [confused]

To me, the IGNIS is more towards Feminine; PUNCH is more towards Masculine. .. Ha ha…[lol]

It’s purely depends upon WHO and HOW one is going to drive.

I preferred the IGNIS for my wife based on her expectations. She wanted a small automatic car but not smaller like Maruthi Alto. She wanted a clear road view, better GC, smooth engine and she liked the design. I am also comfortable at this age of 65, amidst ever growing traffic and parking issues.

We always drive around 60 km speed & may go up to 80 if the road in front is ours.

Punch was not introduced at the time and, now after driving/testing both the Automatic Transmission, we have no regrets.

THE REALITY:
There are two adverse comments about IGNIS online - Retro design and Safety (Tin quality).

Regarding Design:
Design depends upon individual perception.
Everyone will not like every side of a car.
A car to please everyone is yet to be produced.
Even we look bad in some photographic angle.

If you like the design, you will love everything. I have driven Honda City for 10 years and bought this. It's a cute, little car best for city & village roads. I am only afraid of the OE soft tires, you may have to keep handy a puncture kit and an inflator.
The suspension is definitely little stiff that become necessary for a higher GC car. But, we learnt how to manage and you need to be slow on speed breakers and potholes except you don't have control over unexpected ones. This is applicable to every car, right?

Trust me, you will love the driving on normal roads.

Regarding Safety:
I belong to a generation where we drove Amby and Padmini when Maruthi came with 800 claiming better safety with their new ‘crumple absorbing zones’ body shell
(Absorb energy from the impact of a collision that controls deformation).
They claimed, it saves the passengers at the cost of the car.
I still remember, those days’ people after buying an Amby, spent towards extra welding of chassis, as they said, everything in that new car would give sound except the horns.[:D]
Now, we talk about 5-Star safety. Of course, safety is very important but no car is safe if the driver is bad. It's not uncommon to come across fatal accidents even in so called very safe cars.

TO CONCLUDE,
I don't want to talk about the negatives, both the cars have few of them, but both are definitely good cars.

At Present :
PUNCH
is Bold, Beautiful and Bigger one. I have due respects to TATA built, they have been improving now in service aspects. PUNCH is a new, most selling ICONIC CAR from Tata's stable.

IGNIS is a Cute, small and Practical car, with a reliable proven engine, it is almost an international design, it has decent safety ratings (3-star for Indian version and 5-star ratings for European version), better after sales experience whether in spares or service.
IGNIS is four years old (Except the cosmetic Facelift), though it is not a market model I didn't come across one single dissatisfied customer. She has her own good tract records like ....

Suzuki IGNIS was one of the finalist of 2017 World Car of the Year
Cars.co.za’ s 2018/2019 Budget Car of the year
NDTV Car and Bike award, 2018 the hatchback of the year
whatcar.com’s best small SUV for value,2021

Choice depends upon one’s need, budget, usage, what to compromise & importantly, how well we are to manage the compromise.

Go with what your mind is saying after analyzing your personal demo experience and service conditions at your place.

Not only you should like the car, the car should also like you.

It may look weird when I say this, but it’s a part of partnership in life.

All the very best.

Regards,
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Excellent. Your guidance is valuable and means so much to us. We have made test drive of both the cars. We felt, IGNIS AGS is punchy in performance and very good in overall package for the value.
I won, my hubby got convinced. I am very happy.
Thank you for giving us your time.

Top Bottom