Car Service Help To Person With Zero Car Knowledge

Thread Starter #1
I bought a used Maruthi suzuki 800 - 2007 PETROL model to learn driving. The car is good and engine sound is good. Car km reached 70000. Now I have learnt driving.
I am in a plan to fix the minor issues and keep the car with myself. Don't have any idea how much it will cost to do a service repair. I read blogs about what will be done in standard service. Since I have 0 knowledge the service center may add in unnecessary things. If I know the cost of each things and which one is necessary, I will have a satisfaction that service worth the cost.. I will describe my requirements. Can anyone please suggest me the price or any better alternates?

1. When I reach home after driving for few kms,stop the car and try to restart it won't. It will crank. I din't find much heat in bonnet. Mechanic checked and said battery is OK. We will change the spark plug if you face this issue at each drive. Now this issue became rare but anyway I don't want to happen it again. What is the cost to replace spark plug? or Should I change anything else?
2. Steering became loose while driving. It was tight when I bought it from 1st owner. When car is in stop neutral with hand brake position, I can move the steering upto an inch. Is there something like steering oil?
How much will it cost to fix steering issue?
3. I don't feel the horn making good sound. Want to replace horn for sure. Suggest me a good horn with some budget price?
4. I din't close the windows till now when driving. AC is of no use. Previous owner said you can fill gas and AC will work fine. What is the cost to fill gas? How much grams should I fill and what is the cost?
If it is any other issue in AC, What will it be and how much will it cost to fix?
5. Had to put some force to shift gear now. Should I top up gear oil?
6. Left side headlight hit another kutti yanai and the headlight came out. Light works well but the assembly went. How much will it cost for left side headlight?

These are the necessary one to fix it for me as high priority. Apart from this Please suggest me about other standard services?

1. Engine oil - Which brand to use? How much ml will occupy the oil container? Will they provide the remaining oil to me?
2. Barke oil - Which brand to use?
3. Cost to replace fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, AC filter?
4. Front and rear brake pads service cost and replacement cost if needed?

Thanks in advance :-)

deville_56

Honoured Member
It's always better to get the car fully checked and serviced before start using extensively when buying used a used car since we don't know the service history.

1. When I reach home after driving for few kms,stop the car and try to restart it won't. It will crank. I din't find much heat in bonnet. Mechanic checked and said battery is OK. We will change the spark plug if you face this issue at each drive. Now this issue became rare but anyway I don't want to happen it again. What is the cost to replace spark plug? or Should I change anything else?
Each plug would cost ₹90-130 depending on brand available. Sometimes Maruti OEM would be NGK, sometimes some other, so price varies. Needs three of them.

2. Steering became loose while driving. It was tight when I bought it from 1st owner. When car is in stop neutral with hand brake position, I can move the steering upto an inch. Is there something like steering oil?
How much will it cost to fix steering issue?
Wear and tear in steering box or suspension. Need to check with mechanic. No steering oil in 800, since no power steering.

3. I don't feel the horn making good sound. Want to replace horn for sure. Suggest me a good horn with some budget price?
Lot of aftermarket horns available. Normal tone, but high sound, you can go for OEM Hella horns. Roots Windtone, Bosch Symphony, Hella Trumpet are there if you want something sounding premium. Need to add relay for them since they draw more power than stock horns.

4. I din't close the windows till now when driving. AC is of no use. Previous owner said you can fill gas and AC will work fine. What is the cost to fill gas? How much grams should I fill and what is the cost?
You gotta have a thorough check with the AC mechanic. Sometimes it can be more than just gas. Do a pressure check before filling. Gas filling would cost some 600-800 depending on the local pricing. Quantity required also varies.

5. Had to put some force to shift gear now. Should I top up gear oil?
Also have to get it checked for wear and tear and clutch settings. Better to change gear oil since the age is unknown than just topping up.

6. Left side headlight hit another kutti yanai and the headlight came out. Light works well but the assembly went. How much will it cost for left side headlight?
Type 2 lights are like ₹700. Lumax brand will cost ₹400. New clear lens model is ₹ 2500 with motor and bulb and ₹1000 without motor and bulb in Lumax packing.

1. Engine oil - Which brand to use? How much ml will occupy the oil container? Will they provide the remaining oil to me?
2. Barke oil - Which brand to use?
3. Cost to replace fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, AC filter?
4. Front and rear brake pads service cost and replacement cost if needed?
1. 800 needs 2.7L. Oil comes in 3 L cans. If you go with the garage, they buy in barrels and bills for 2.7 L used. Lot of brands available.
2. Any brand would do.
3. All these together costs around ₹ 500-600. No AC filter.
4. Front brake pads are around ₹300-400 and rear brake shoes ₹450-750.

Also get the coolant flushed and replaced.

Thread Starter #3
It's always better to get the car fully checked and serviced before start using extensively when buying used a used car since we don't know the service history.

Each plug would cost ₹90-130 depending on brand available. Sometimes Maruti OEM would be NGK, sometimes some other, so price varies. Needs three of them.

Wear and tear in steering box or suspension. Need to check with mechanic. No steering oil in 800, since no power steering.

Lot of aftermarket horns available. Normal tone, but high sound, you can go for OEM Hella horns. Roots Windtone, Bosch Symphony, Hella Trumpet are there if you want something sounding premium. Need to add relay for them since they draw more power than stock horns.

You gotta have a thorough check with the AC mechanic. Sometimes it can be more than just gas. Do a pressure check before filling. Gas filling would cost some 600-800 depending on the local pricing. Quantity required also varies.

Also have to get it checked for wear and tear and clutch settings. Better to change gear oil since the age is unknown than just topping up.

Type 2 lights are like ₹700. Lumax brand will cost ₹400. New clear lens model is ₹ 2500 with motor and bulb and ₹1000 without motor and bulb in Lumax packing.

1. 800 needs 2.7L. Oil comes in 3 L cans. If you go with the garage, they buy in barrels and bills for 2.7 L used. Lot of brands available.
2. Any brand would do.
3. All these together costs around ₹ 500-600. No AC filter.
4. Front brake pads are around ₹300-400 and rear brake shoes ₹450-750.

Also get the coolant flushed and replaced.
Thank you so much bro. Your comments will help me. :-)

Top Bottom