Car Representing India

Premier Padmini (Fiat):
Like: looks, exhaust note, simplicity & sturdiness
Dislike: Space & comfort

HM Ambassador:
Like: Rear seat comfort & ride quality
Dislike: everything else

Maruti 800:

Like: it was the vehicle which put the common man on wheels. affordability & reliability were its virtues.
Dislike: space, comfort & safety

Tata Indica:
Like: space
Dislike: everything else!

Tata Nano:
Like: it changed the indian automotive scene... looks, space & affordability
Dislike: not too practical

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Call me biased, but it has to be the Maruti 800. And Yes, not to forget the Hindustan Ambassador too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

It sure is the good old Amby. I personally love the rear seat but nothing more than that. I really wish to see the Ambassador get modern, something which was done with the MINI or the FIAT 500, 'but' and its a big 'but' if the Grand Dad of Indian cars is going to go through this metamorphosis.

Cheers!!!

It will always be the Ambassador.[thumbsup]
What I like about it is all that space and comfort at the rear. What I hate was its reliability factor,but still it was pretty good for its time. And back in the days an Ambassador meant Prestige and status and a Fiat was a performance car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
It has to be the Ambassador. It still has rear space that can put many cars to shame!!
It's the ambassador for me too. It's the car that has been on Indian roads for a long time and I get nostalgic when I think of the ambassador. A lot of tourists who come to India, travel in the ambassador because they consider it to be India's pride.

Call me biased, but it has to be the Maruti 800. And Yes, not to forget the Hindustan Ambassador too.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The same! For me its M800 followed by HM Ambassador and Premier Padmini.

Last edited:
IMO, the 3 cars that actually represent India the most are the Tata Nano, Sumo and Mahindra Scorpio. They are the indegenous cars that've made their mark on the world. (That doesn't could the sumo :P)

All time favorite Amby:Used to accomodate more people for long drives, followed by Maruti-800 which was our 1st car around 97.

Top Bottom