Car Owners May Not Get Subsidised Diesel + “Special Tax” on Diesel Cars

Re: Car owners may not get subsidised diesel

Still you are not entitled to any subsidy. Yes if you travel by bus and demand subsidised fuel to keep the fares low it is acceptable.
A lot of people buy a diesel car just because diesel is "cheaper". However if you calculate you running costs plus the difference in purchase price, you may be better off with petrol. If petrol & diesel prices are equalized more people will opt for petrol. Only real heavy users will go for Diesel.
in kerala..
my home to nearby town is 9 km. from where we buy things shopping etc.
going by bus it takes 5+5 =10 rupees to and fro for single person and 20 for two person and additional short distance 3.5rupee which is 7 for single person and rs14 for two person. total 17 rupee for single person and rs34 for two persons
let us exclude autorikshaw and taxi charges or such things which are usually unavoidable which would come above rs20-rs50.
we use honda activa scooter which costs 45km per litre .it consume 0.4litre of fuel with that distance for two person that is rs26-30 maximum.

sometime we all family 3-5 member have to travel to town or nearby distance.
if it was bus 25+25=rs.50 additona expenses excluded.
travelling 9+9km=18km costs us 1 litre diesal rs.44

we dont have local trains like in metro cities.

so we decided to go for a diesal car which pollutes less ,low on fuel consumption small size and comfortable. and it did really serve us many times on expenses.

we did not buy it for ready cash because we are not that rich to spend 7.5 lakh at once.but going for a cheaper car 2lakh-5 lakh , did not turn out to be investment worth in long run .

now government think that we are all enjoying luxury life and consuming their precious fuel for unreasonable activities then i dont have any faith in my government anymore.

end of the day it does not count how much the govt earns by taxing and other investment but the income and earnings of a common man which helps for better nation.
if a common man end up with zero saving then he is bound to resort on antisocial activities like black money ,thievery,cheating et al

how long can we survive like a communist country where only government should have money rest of the people are like cattles.
we can save as much as 50 percent of fuel if we had good roads.
i myself while travelling experience mileage of 22kmpl while travelling at night .whereas at day time in dense traffic the same figure drops to 10-12kmpl on same road and distance.
how can our government understand such crucial factors?

broadening roads ,making good roads are great source of income to many people rather than inflate the fuel and lpg prices and hold our throats when is our govt going to undertand about common man.
when is this goverment going to give any proper dignity to its own citizens.

Last edited:

A lot of people buy a diesel car just because diesel is "cheaper". However if you calculate you running costs plus the difference in purchase price, you may be better off with petrol. If petrol & diesel prices are equalized more people will opt for petrol. Only real heavy users will go for Diesel.
agree 100% with you . i keep telling people to go for diesel only if they can drive more even a guy in my neighbour hood brought diesel just because diesel was cheaper and he hasn't even driven it 2K till now in 6 month
that is just a quick and frugal answer one can give . "diesal is cheaper so".
indirectly diesal is much cheaper for environment too.

There's direct polution of gases emitted from the exhaust which happen with both, CO2 is the most bi-product although this can be absorbed by nature via photosynthesis although perhaps not at the levels of CO2 output. Diesels also kick out a lot of soot. However, a diesel vehicle can generally do more mileage therefore it's using less fuel than a petrol vehicle for the same journey.

If you want speed then petrol is generally better but if you want economy then diesel vehicles are better. I would say that diesel car is always better because you can also get performance diesels say with a turbocharger as well plus the combustion process is more efficient than petrol.

Diesel is cheaper to produce, engines are arguably more reliable in many different ways, burning process very efficient and with better fuel economy it may reduce the rate of fossil fuel consumption.

Still you are not entitled to any subsidy. Yes if you travel by bus and demand subsidised fuel to keep the fares low it is acceptable.

You should buy a diesel car because diesel cars are more fuel efficient. The Swift Petrol gives you around 10-12 Kmpl whereas the Diesel gives you around 18. This the the logic you are supposed to use, not "diesel is cheaper" because it is not. Both petrol & diesel are produced from crude oil along with many other products. The total cost of refining most products is the same.
I totally agree. I for one would be very happy if diesel and petrol are brought to same prices. I own a petrol cal and would like own another one as well.
But I was talking about those people who have bought these cars thinking that diesel is cheaper (although it will remain in forseeable future), but this increase will hurt them more.

An average Joe in India only thinks in one way - mileage and price of fuel. The psyche behind this thinking is deep rooted and has its history. That is a separate topic anyway.

Thread Starter #35

Mr Prnab mukharji said that government is thinking to rice price of diesel for cars by Rs 6.50 even after that diesel will be much cheaper than petrol.
If the new generation diesel swift gives 24 kmpl then what is the point in not purchasing it ? Indians do keep the cars for long time so long term ownership cost should be less than a petrol car. Than what's wrong is buying diesel car?
If the petrol cars gives less mileage then obviously its higher consumption and that money is going out side India or not ?
People who are using diesel car had already paid higher price at the time of car purchase to government and also they consume less fuel which indeed save a lot money. IMO

If the petrol cars gives less mileage then obviously its higher consumption and that money is going out side India or not ?..
Partially money will go out, and rest govt will earn more due to high consumption. There is a heavy surcharge of taxes on both Petrol and Diesel. More than 50% goes in taxes IIRC.

We have a petrol car, A maruti 800, which costs less then your elitist punto.

We run it 90K km in one year.
And we never even bothered to check its FE.

But you, my friend, who is rich enough to buy and own a punto, still wants the govt to subsidize fuel for him.

Stop looting the govt. It is people like you who go to the streets and then claim, the govt does nothing for the poor.

The govt would, if it had money left after subsidizing fuel for your Fiats
HAHAHA! Govt doing anything for the poor. May be in a country like China, but not in India. I am not jumping in the debate of petrol vs diesel, but have a look at the following article.

Currently states earn more than 1/3rd of their taxes from petroleum products and they still want to loot money from public to fill coffers for themselves. Forget about providing good infrastructure, if it can provide just *basic* infrastructure, it will be more than enough.

Article - State govts thrive on petroleum goods tax - Business Today - Business News

that is just a quick and frugal answer one can give . "diesal is cheaper so".
indirectly diesal is much cheaper for environment too.

There's direct polution of gases emitted from the exhaust which happen with both, CO2 is the most bi-product although this can be absorbed by nature via photosynthesis although perhaps not at the levels of CO2 output. Diesels also kick out a lot of soot. However, a diesel vehicle can generally do more mileage therefore it's using less fuel than a petrol vehicle for the same journey.

If you want speed then petrol is generally better but if you want economy then diesel vehicles are better. I would say that diesel car is always better because you can also get performance diesels say with a turbocharger as well plus the combustion process is more efficient than petrol.

Diesel is cheaper to produce, engines are arguably more reliable in many different ways, burning process very efficient and with better fuel economy it may reduce the rate of fossil fuel consumption.
a guy who would run only 100-200KM per month buy diesel paying extra in which he could driven his car for next 3-4years you say its saving :/

a guy who would run only 100-200KM per month buy diesel paying extra in which he could driven his car for next 3-4years you say its saving :/
if one has to go just 100-200km i dont see any justification why you he invest on few lakh rupee car better go for taxi . 200km travel per month would cost not more than rs.3000. every year rs.36000. 4 years 1.5 lakh.
let us not go off topic. and stick to the thread.

say for example your neighbor uses the way in front of your house as he do not have any shorter exit, you demand him rent for using the way.
and every next month you increase the amount saying some reasons.
one fine day you say "if you need to walk fast in front of the home you need to pay three times and for normal speed double ,else you will barricade the way.. he remains helpless in order to save time and energy."

we are using bit of shorter exit by using diesal car and not saving millions through it.
as pranab mukhergy happily put forth an increment of rs.6.50 is definitly going to affect our life in many ways.
what is not acceptable is "gundagardi" from government. it looks like grabbing there share in easiest way taxing taxing taxing on weakest part of nation-common man .

what government should have been doing was to control the prices of textiles,land,household commodities,foreign investments etc.
but govt is least bothered about those to add such things are out of govt hands.

HAHAHA! Govt doing anything for the poor. May be in a country like China, but not in India. I am not jumping in the debate of petrol vs diesel, but have a look at the following article.

Currently states earn more than 1/3rd of their taxes from petroleum products and they still want to loot money from public to fill coffers for themselves. Forget about providing good infrastructure, if it can provide just *basic* infrastructure, it will be more than enough.

Article - State govts thrive on petroleum goods tax - Business Today - Business News
God's own country earns more revenue by selling foreign liquor to her subjects.
jaydev try telling your logic to our polititians. simply by getting back the money deposited in swiss banks by our corrupt polititians can provide fuel to all free.[lol]

There are 2 points to the argument. I am not talking about people who own Beemers or Mercs or for that matter Scorpios, Safaris. Yes if they are able to spend so much for their cars, they should be able to afford the fuel as well.

But what about those frugal engines and cars which belong to low end of the group, like Beat, Ritz, Indica etc. People buying these cars are not upper middle class. They have bought these cars only on the basis that *diesel is cheaper*. This is the class which will be hit the most.
And please dont call these cars as thoroughbred, they are mostly ponies running on low carb.

In the international market the price has been same forever. Agreed. But this dual fuel pricing policy is affecting common man (not rich men) more than govt.

IMO increase the excise duty further on expensive cars or take that out, and leave it an open field for petrol and diesel. Let personal owners pay for the fuel at the international market rate.
The Ritz is not a poor man's budget car. And why should a person be held accountable for someone else's luxury? As in a biker paying more for petrol to balance the profit loss on Diesel for a person with an Indica. Its not whether you use less or not, But what you makes you so special to get a benefit which a financially weaker citizen than yourself does not get?

Whoa so much discussions in just one day. I saw in some post saying 15% of diesel used in our country is by cars , so lets not for get the taxis too then! If this rule is implemented then what about the cabs then? Will they also not get subsidised diesel?

I see most of them having diesel cars don't support this move and people having petrol cars and who travel less welcome this move. See our running is 15k KMS in just 7 months , we really cannot manage a petrol car for our running. Yeah you may say if we can afford an Aria then why not afford fuel for it. We are not rich business men having Merc's and Bmw's , we also work hard for earning our money and we travel a LOT for earning the money. Most of the anti-diesel vehicle comments here are corporates who take a car to their offices park it , sit in front of the computer for one full day then take the car back home , that's it. There are lots of people out there who have to travel a LOT to earn their money(this includes us). Though Rs.7 yes we can manage but if they start retailing both at the same price then there would be absolutely no takers for diesel cars anymore!

The problem is most of you people are angry about Merc's and Bmw owners filling the tank and enjoying their money. Let's not forget that is also their hard-earned money and they have every right to enjoy , remember they are also paying hefty taxes which costs as much as a premium hatch! Slap them with Rs.100 per litre for diesel and they still will happily pay for it , because for them it does not matter. Middle class families are the most which is going to get affected with this move.

And also just because a biker cannot afford a car it doesn't mean the others who earn more should not enjoy diesel cars for the sake of that biker. Earn more , pay more , enjoy more!

At the end of day everything is hard earned money which everybody would like to save in every possible way. Am sorry if i am rude , some of the comments here are really a bit inappropriate!

AMG

Suspended

We own a 15 lakh car but we cant afford to fill it up, [lol]

Dude, We own a Maruti 800, run 90K in one year, and yet you wont see a single crib post from me in the "fuel prices touching sky high" thread.

Lets accept the fact that the prices are going to rise, and there is no use cribbing over it.

Then am sorry buddy with that much money wasted on fuel you could have invested in a diesel car and saved lots!

There is nothing wrong in being practical and saving money.

And even me i am not cribbing now for a Rs.7 hike but if they are going to retail both Petrol and Diesel at the same price , then i really can't accept that!

The thing here is most of the Petrol car owners are jealous of diesel cars enjoying subsidy! Most of them don't see we pay more taxes , we pay more for the engine and so we save in fuel. And most important of all we drive a LOT!

And some members said SUV'S are fuel guzzlers! Lets not forget there are some luxury Petrol sedans which does not even give the FE of an SUV and can carry only 5 members maximum!

:offtopic:Friends let us stick to the topic and avoid direct or indirect attack on any individual.(Attack-If I may say so).

Thanks for your support.

Top Bottom