Car Colours and Accidents

Thread Starter #1
Is there any relationship between colour of the Car and possibility of accidents?

Well, got this from Wikipedia.

A Swedish study found that Black cars are involved in the most number of crashes and Pink cars are involved in the fewest.

In Auckland New Zealand, a study found that there was a significantly lower rate of serious injury in Silver cars.
Higher rates of injury was in Brown, Black and Green cars.

In another study, it is found that in daylight, black cars were 12% more likely than white to be involved in an accident.
Followed by Grey cars at 11%, Silver cars at 10% and Red and Blue cars at 7%, with no other colours found to be significantly more or less risky than white.

At dawn or dusk the risk ratio for black cars jumped to 47% more likely than white, and that for Silver cars to 15% more than white.
In the hours of darkness only red and silver cars were found to be significantly more risky than white by 10% and 8% respectively.

{The Vehicle Colour Study, conducted by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) and published in 2007, analysed 855,258 accidents occurring between 1987 and 2004 in the Australian states of Victoria and Western Australia that resulted in injury or in a vehicle being towed away. The study analysed risk by light condition.}

Re: Car Colour and accidents

I only knew about black colour that its more prone to be involved in accidents.

My family first said a Big "No" for our Honda city as my mom was telling it was the colour of the devil or something like that. But my elder brother did not listen to them and he did buy a black city.

IMO it depends on the driver of the car no matter what colour car your driving.

Drive safe
[cheers]

lxi.

Suspended

According to the above information, I think black cars are most involved in crashes (Although i dont believe such things! LOL)
Maybe the study is giving these results because at night, Black cars are naturally less visible and white is the most visible. So, Any black car with Head Lights off can easily be unseen by oncoming driver and can be banged into. Whereas there are less chances of the White car to be unseen.

+1000000 to bunty. It depends on the Car's Driver , not the car. If you buy whie car doesnt mean that you are safe now!

Aww, I own a Black (Scorpy), White (City ivtec) and a Silver (Alto)!
Lets see what happens. In my case, The city (White) has suffered the most out of the other cars. Maybe the Wkipedians have to survey again in India!

Hhmm i can understand that black may be accident prone during night but how come silver and other colors may be accident prone.[confused]

It is not about beliefs but colors play a part in accidents due to their visibility. In different lighting conditions, some colors may be less visible to other motorists.

Guys color matters.

I was driving my i20 at around 7 PM with mildish dark @Chennai.

The sun-control of my car was about 40 %.

When i tried to turn left at around 30 - 40 KMPH. I suddenly noticed something moving in left side mirror and was about to collide in fraction of second. But managed get back in control.

Then i full-stopped car, found a black swift with no city light was crossing me. The swift was filly covered with black like 80% sun control and full blackish that it's hard to notice. it was scary as the car was not visible at all.

One of my colleague's friend met with accident, that a black omni was taking U-turn in highway that was not visible at all and he was dragged in his alto with hard brakking.

So, If any of one owns car/vehicle with black color please be aware to switch on atleast city lights to improve visibility.

Last edited:
yes color matters.

yellow has the most visibility, it can also be seen from a distance unlike some other dark colors. thats the reason autos, school bus, private transport vehicles... are painted in yellow

I was turning into "UB City Bangalore" & there was a car parked with high beams from the opposite side at the entrance just as i took the right a Black Verna comes from behind it with no headlights,i missed it by inches & driver looked stone drunk!
I have noticed women in black Burqa are really hard to notice as i almost turned into two women in Burqa when there was no street lights & a friend recently broke a few bones after he went tumbling on his enfield as he tried avoiding a Burqa clad woman crossing the road.

So all this points out to black under the circumstances & darkness of night is not a good colour.

At dawn or dusk the risk ratio for black cars jumped to 47% more likely than white, and that for Silver cars to 15% more than white.
In the hours of darkness only red and silver cars were found to be significantly more risky than white by 10% and 8% respectively.
Hi, why red color more risky despite stronger wavelength ?

Thread Starter #11
Hi, why red color more risky despite stronger wavelength ?
These are conclusions based on the results of a survey.
Red colour is said to be 10% more risky in darkness as compared to white.

For your question, an answer which came in mind is as below.

Red colour is having longer wave length and hence it can travel more distance before scattering. {Red is longer wavelength not stronger}

Now, car colour as such is not a light source and only reflects the ambient light. In darkness, there is not much possibility of reflection and therefore despite having a longer wavelength, visibility is less.

I'm not sure why red color is risky, but in Texas USA, statefarm insurance charge extra for Red color cars. I was surprised then! Reason she quoted was red color was involved in more accidents than other cars, she said aggressive behaviour is also attached with red preferred persons. Not sure, but you need to shell extra for your insurance in Texas, if you drive a red car! Strange.

I'm not sure why red color is risky, but in Texas USA, statefarm insurance charge extra for Red color cars. I was surprised then! Reason she quoted was red color was involved in more accidents than other cars, she said aggressive behaviour is also attached with red preferred persons. Not sure, but you need to shell extra for your insurance in Texas, if you drive a red car! Strange.
Its true and a proven fact. And they are right about the people who prefer red. Now not everyone of course, But majority of red car owners are aggressive drivers and are hence more accident prone than the average motorist.

Thread Starter #14
Its true and a proven fact. And they are right about the people who prefer red. Now not everyone of course, But majority of red car owners are aggressive drivers and are hence more accident prone than the average motorist.
Yes thats right.
But its for the west mainly.

In some western countries Insurance companies charge more premium for red cars. Because in western countries red cars are bought mostly by youths who are font of aggressive driving which can be termed as rash and thus prone to accidents.

However in this survey which is based on a different critera - That is car colour and accidents with respect to darkness and daytime.

Here red is considered as 10% more risky than white. Black is found to be highest risk colour.

I think color of an vehicle use to matter as dark colors are been very effective to our eyes and mostly on the hot days so keeping color of an vehicle simple is been very necessary and it is been very good for the eyes for the other people who are being driving.

Top Bottom