Car Care During COVID-19 Lockdown

Thread Starter #16

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
TYRE FLAT SPOT & PREVENTIVE MEASURES

TYRE FLAT SPOT.jpg

TYRE FLAT SPOT is nothing but a weakened, badly worn section of a tyre tread that is noticed as a patch where the tread appears to have worn away more than anywhere else.
The tyre may ‘settle’ into a flattened shape when parked up for a long time. Also, it can occur from skidding during harsh braking.
This might not be physically visible at first, it could cause the driver to feel bumps, thumps, or vibrations while moving. If a car is driven on a tyre with a flat spot for too long, the tyre could even develop a large puncture.
Temporary tyre flat spotting is common on NEW DEALER IN-STOCK vehicles that have not been occasionally moved. There the vehicles should be moved 12 inches, in one direction only, every 30 days to prevent tyre Flat Spotting.
But, TYRE BUBBLES are different and most often caused by high-impact damage, such as hitting a pothole or piece of road debris; usually indicate that tire has a broken belt.

Simple Prevention Method: Little over-inflation of tyres @ 2 to 3 psi more / Keeping 2-Wheeler vehicle on main stand, so tyres do not touch the ground to minimize flat spot / For 4-Wheeler vehicles, we could push the vehicle forward/backwards once a week by 5m-10m to avoid flat spot.

Tyre Saver Ramps for Storage - Flat Spot and Flat Tire Prevention @ AMAZON.IN

Last edited:

View attachment 276262

TYRE FLAT SPOT is nothing but a weakened, badly worn section of a tyre tread that is noticed as a patch where the tread appears to have worn away more than anywhere else.
The tyre may ‘settle’ into a flattened shape when parked up for a long time. Also, it can occur from skidding during harsh braking.
This might not be physically visible at first, it could cause the driver to feel bumps, thumps, or vibrations while moving. If a car is driven on a tyre with a flat spot for too long, the tyre could even develop a large puncture.
Temporary tyre flat spotting is common on NEW DEALER IN-STOCK vehicles that have not been occasionally moved. There the vehicles should be moved 12 inches, in one direction only, every 30 days to prevent tyre Flat Spotting.
But, TYRE BUBBLES are different and most often caused by high-impact damage, such as hitting a pothole or piece of road debris; usually indicate that tire has a broken belt.

Simple Prevention Method: Little over-inflation of tyres @ 2 to 3 psi more / Keeping 2-Wheeler vehicle on main stand, so tyres do not touch the ground to minimize flat spot / For 4-Wheeler vehicles, we could push the vehicle forward/backwards once a week by 5m-10m to avoid flat spot.

Thank You Sir. That product is out of stock, any other link or store for the same? That product is made of plastic, maybe hard plastic. If the surface where the vehicle is parked is hard concrete surface then will it make any difference?
Those posted in the photo in your post seems to be made of rubber.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ nanu.007

All Tyre savers are made out of robust, pressure resistant PVC Plastics and not by Rubber & it comes in three different sizes.

Some kind of air pillows are also available for this purpose. The design of Tyre Saver Ramps is exactly to merge the contour of the tyre so that to avoid continuous uneven pressure, for them to keep in shape.

Their Usage is common in European country.

I just indicated to know the various choices / possibilities. I would suggest to make use of simple alternatives as Tyre Saver Ramps are not easily available in India & importing is expensive.

flat-jack-camper-plus-header.jpg

View attachment 276262

sir the link you provided is redirecting to error page can you please update another link

Thread Starter #23

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

350Z

Core Team
Tata Motors has started an awareness campaign for car care tips during second-wave of COVID. Sharing the article below.

Lockdown-Car-Care.jpg
Parking:
  • The car should be parked in a safe spot in the house or your building premises. Moreover, it is also important to preserve the functionality of its internal components.
Avoid flat spot on tyres and maintain the right pressure
  • Customers should move their car forwards and backwards to keep it from remaining immobile for too long and avoiding flat spots on tyres.
  • Periodic checks of tyre pressure are imperative to prevent cracking of the rubber and the side spots.
  • Air valves should be checked as well.
Keep the ignition engaged
  • To keep the battery of the car charged, the car should be started once every week for around 20 minutes. This will ensure that the Aux. battery doesn’t exhaust itself.
  • In the Nexon EV, this can be done by starting AC remotely as well. Alternatively, remove the – VE terminal of Aux Battery. Keep the State of Charge (SOC) between 40% to 60%.
Restarting the Electric vehicle after long storage
  • Refit the –VE terminal (if removed) & charge the vehicle up to 100% SOC on slow charger before using the vehicle on road.
Keep the handbrake dis-engaged
  • Keep the car parked in reverse gear if parked on a downhill slope, or on neutral on a flat surface and in first gear if it is on an uphill slope.
  • It is important to provide wheel support through the medium of chocks/ bricks available at home (In case of Auto transmission, it is a must)
Protect the fuel tank
  • To reduce the effect of changing weather on the vehicle, the fuel tank of the car should be kept full to avoid moisture from settling in.
Cabin Cleaning
  • Regular sanitization and periodic checks of the interior and car parts such as the steering wheel is important to maintain regular hygiene and ensure that the components are functioning.
  • Interiors can be kept clean by vacuuming the carpets and mats as well as wiping car parts such as door handles with regular cleaning solution or disinfectant.
  • Kindly maintain the cleaning solution -mixture of car shampoo/soap and water in 30:70 ratio
  • While using a shampoo solution, apply it on the specified surface using microfiber cloth. Avoid spraying the solution directly. For example, on components such as the infotainment system.
  • The wiper arms should also be in an uplifted position.
Shield from changing weather
  • Use a car cover as it will protect the vehicle from getting affected by external factors and will also avoid the layering of dust on the exterior of the vehicle. This will also protect the paint job and chrome elements on the car.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Very good thread and very useful during these times. I have been doing the following things. Slightly concerned about one thing though, pollution caused if we leave the engine running or do a short run in parking lot
1. Start the engine every couple of days for 3-5 minutes
2. make one short a couple of 100 meters run within parking once or twice a week
3. Run A/C or blower during short run or engine running for fresh air inside

I should look at putting it in gear instead of handbrake, I need to train myself to do it.

Thread Starter #26

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
HOME MADE BATTERY CHARGER & THE SUCCESS STORY DURING PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN !

My ALBUS refused to start two days before (of course, first time ever!) and the Battery Voltmeter showed 10.8 Volt on load in the Car.
I felt very bad, as its my fault, could not take the vehicle out.
Talked to ALBUS for not letting me down... Yes, I revived the battery by my DIY, which I would like to share with you.

Please read @ Guide: How To Make Your Car Battery Go On & On!

Top Bottom