CARING CAR IN QUARANTINE?
CARING CAR IN QUARANTINE?
Courtesy Times of India, Dated. 29/03/2020
There are two things that we are to note and care about our lovable cars during this CORONA VIRUS era!
1. Decontamination and 2. Maintenance.
Our Cars also get exposed to places where some of humans might have been infected. Those painted metal surfaces or plastic / vinyl structures like steering wheel, shifter, exterior door handles, armrests, seats and carpets need to be cleaned and kept.
Harsh chemicals can’t be used and using industrial sanitizers having 70% alcohol would be very expensive. Therefore, a good shampoo washing with water jet externally, and cleaning all the interiors with diluted dish washer like VIM liquid is a must at least before we halt the car.
Most car leathers and imitation leathers have urethane coatings for protection, need to be cleaned by using simple non scented, neutral PH soap, use a good leather cleaner, then a good leather conditioner afterwards. Using a strong soap or Alcohol may lead to discoloration.
Don’t use bleach or hydrogen peroxide on the inside of your car. Do not use ammonia-based cleaners on car touch screens, as they can damage their anti-glare coatings.
The 144 Curfew is for our cars too. We need to necessarily park the car at home for certain period. But, an untouched & permanently parked car will be dead soon even without a corona virus!
1. Efficiency of the BATTERY will be reduced if the car is not started for more than 3 days.
2. Do not use the HAND BREAK to park the car permanently as it will affect its strength.
3. Be cautious while PARKING the car outside under direct sun, or under a fragile tree.
4. Protect by a COVER but ensure the cover is secured and intact at all the sides as it can easily be dragged by wind.
5. Ensure the INTERIOR is clean as all the eatables, their wrappings, things that attract insects and rodents are removed before parking to avoid bad odor and costly damages.
6. The TIRES will be weak and get swollen at the pressured spot if the car is unmoved permanently. Therefore, need to move the car little bit forward and backward, also ensure the cold tire pressures are maintained as recommended before halt.
7. Open the Bonnet, Windows and Dickey few minutes periodically to get aerated with FRESH AIR to avoid housing of spiders, rodents and reptiles for our safety and safety of car electrical.
8. You may need to protect engine bay by spraying pepper powder if RAT MENACE is expected.
9. Just turning a car on and idling it is not always good; if possible, the best way to keep up a car is to DRIVE IT, at least once every two weeks, in a way that it gets fully warmed up.
10. Fill up FUEL TANK, this will keep away moisture entering the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank. Of course, be sure that the tank is sealed properly as well.
Please don’t miss to read my previous article here:
DOs & DON’Ts - FOR THE PERMANENTLY PARKED CARS!