Car Better or Bike?

What will you prefer?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Guys, as you all know, i drive a scorpio. now, few days back, we were discussing on buying a bike for a company staff, dad was asking me about the prices of the bikes. so i just jokingly said that i dont have a bike. the conversation followed like this-

mom: so what? you have a car!
me: cars are not too practical for small everyday jobs.
dad: bikes are risky.
me: if driven carefully, both are safe & vice versa.
dad: which bike do you like?
me: avenger 220 or yamaha fazer.
dad: lets see. you first decide what you want...
me: ok

Now, I am not asking you which bike is better? nor am i buying a bike soon. but according to you, which is a better mode of transport - bike or car?

according to me, these are the pros & cons of cars over bikes-

+ more comfort - AC, music, etc
+ you are shielded from the weather - sun, rain, etc
+ you are shielded from the pollution
+ driving cars is classier than riding bikes (debatable!)
+ cars are a better status symbol
+ girls like cars more than bikes! (again debatable, LOL!)
+ safer than bikes. an accident in a bike can be more fatal, compared to an accident in a car at the same speed

- in traffic jams, you cannot weave in & out like bikes
- no wind in the hair experience like bikes
- if cars are classier, then riding bikes is "cooler" (debatable)
- bikes are more fuel efficient!
- no tension of parking in a crowded city like mumbai!

Now, i am not a big fan of speeding on crowded roads, so i have not included speed in both cases. So, for me its the car that has more pros but i am still confused. which one is actually better in terms of looks, image, fun, etc.?

Please note, budget is not a constraint! so, we are not talking about which one is more pocket friendly! we are comparing normal budget cars (no ferraris or lambos) to normal bikes (no H-R or R1s!)

Last edited:
Safety always comes 1st. So a car is always better. This is from personal experience. Besides, If a huge SUV can sometimes be a pain in traffic/parking, one can always have a small hatch.
My vote goes for - a car is better.

Thread Starter #3
even the biggest bike would be easier to park than the smallest car! so its essentially any car (hatch/sedan/SUV) v/s bike. i have never felt the scorpio to be a pain to park when compared to a hatch. but yes, a bike would be easier to park.

Nice question. The answer lies on so many things. Like how much is the travel? Is the travel is going to be in crowded traffic most of the time?

I am voting for Bike, assuming the travel is less than 10-20 KM per day in crowded roads. If the roads are going to be Ring Road etc., again car is preferred due to safety.

And Bike is cool, girls would like decent bike than normal car.

personally for me bike is the choice that to in my town with a plenty of roads where we can go in a bike but for four wheeler it will be a oneway[frustration].And if I take my car for coming to my office I have to walk 1km after parking but at the same time if I come by my bike I can park just in front of my office near the road side parking.

But travelling a little long distance say above 25 kms car is the only option.

350Z

Core Team
Alright, I’ll be honest. I’ve personally never been a bike guy, but somewhere still have a soft corner for them, and they do excite me as well, but looking all in all, on this edge of time, cars does make a far practical sense any day. A car may not easily zoom around in the traffic, but offers the necessary comfort and ability to accommodate passengers inside more than a Bike. A Bike, whereas can prove to be the most affordable means of motor-transport, much sensible for regular city run, but maybe good as a secondary vehicle only IF you’re not living alone and have requirements just more than home-office-home. This utterly depends upon the needs.

PS: 5 Stars to this thread.

Drive Safe,
350Z

me too never been a bike guy i mean if someone gifts me a Busa or R1 i dont mind but i wouldnt buy one with my own money. I will surely buy a car.

I too prefer a car always. But i do use my bike for short commuting purposes like grocery shop , cricket ground etc where car parking will be a chore!

And hey travelling with a girl in bike is more fun , aint it?[;)]

But the main reasons i hate travelling in bike is my hair and skin gets spoiled due to dust , my skin gets tanned after too much driving in sun and me being tall bike rides more than an hour stresses my back a lot! But i agree a bike is far economical but lacks the comfort and safety!

Good thread Raj , you have neatly covered all the pros and cons.

There is nothing like a good bike to go on a solo tour.
You see everything first hand, you're one with the elements and nature.
And as many bikers say "Its Freedom."
You get sick in a car after some days of touring.
I still long for a long tour on my bike.
And me and my better half used to ride together on bikes a lot before we got hitched. The longest trip we did together was 280 kms one way to Vadagara(Its 48 odd kilometers from Calicut)from our hometown. I had to drop my wife there at Vadagara and head back home solo as she had exams. I just dropped her had a tea,tanked up and ran non stop for the trip back. Were it in a car I would have blown my fuse and it would take forever with Kerala's crazy traffic. And almost forgot, the bike was my trusty Unicorn and I never feel tired after long trips on the Unicorn.

Last edited:
I would like to add that i always take my Pulsar if i travel alone or with just another friend. Only if its more than two people i take my car and also take my car for travelling alone sometimes if bike is not available at home.

But i strictly use car if its outside city limits even if i travel alone!

car car and any day a car. I would prefer bikes only to college. any other place has to be a car.
My bike is used only for college comunting. Thanks to my dads safety concerns(which Raj has mentioned to which i agree), i hardly use my bike at home.

For me it depends on the work and availability of the rides.
But I voted for a BIKE. Simply because its, easy to park, helps a lot in traffic and has a natural a/c.[lol]
When I was in college, I use to to go by bike, but the day when it use to rain, I would take the DZire.
When I go to unknown places, I prefer taking a bike.

Top Bottom