Can Water Substitute Coolant in Emergency?

Thread Starter #1
I have less coolant in my store and I am planning to go for a long drive. I was just thinking if water could substitute coolant if by chance the coolant tank gets empty. Please share your views.

Regards

I have less coolant in my store and I am planning to go for a long drive. I was just thinking if water could substitute coolant if by chance the coolant tank gets empty. Please share your views.

Regards
dude why dont you fill up before going long drive?? only use water in emergency .

Yes we can use water. Ideally distilled water should be used. In emergency, fresh water from any source can be used. But never sea water. That will cause scale deposits on the heat exchanging surfaces. Coolant used is actually water based with a percentage of antifreeze.

Hi nycvanlimo,

Welcome to TAI.
To answer ur query firstly i would make you aware to go through the user manual of you car. Ideally most of the cars use water and collant mixture. Water is the major component for cooling the radiator. Collant is used with water to prevent corrosion, and using collant reduces the temprature of the mixture to some extant.
The collant reserviour should be checked regularly if the level of liquid in the reserviour is between the min and max levels.
This helps in checking if there is leak in the system. Check your user manual if the water used should be regular water or distilled water.
Top it up if the level reduces. Generally the mixture will be 50% water - 50% coolant, or 70% water - 30% coolant. For the recomemded mixture proportion check with the user manual of your vehicle.

Last edited:
Distilled water and coolant should be used.
One part coolant and 2 part of distilled water is the ratio.

Use water on emergencies.
Btw what car?.

Cars with all aluminum head is not so water favorable - in short present day cars are not water favorable esp diesel crdi engine!

Salty/hard water is not suitable for cars.

AFAIK all coolants are water based and the they are nothing but (IMO)anti freezing agents..in our climate there are rare chances of water freezing so normal water is always sufficient of all types of engines(except oil cooled types).
always try to avoid hard water or chlorinated water.

Remove water to add proper coolant...

So, I do not know how, but I ran my car without coolant for around 500 or more kms. This time when I gave my car for service, they told me the coolant reservoir is dry, and that they have filled in water. WATER!!! At the A.S.S. I pay around Rs. 3000 for service and they fill in mineral-free water instead of the coolant fluid. That, even when the manual states "WARNING! 100% water may cause serious damage to the coolant system!". Now I want to add coolant fluid. But problem is that I am supposed to add a mixture of 50:50 mix of coolant and water. Total capacity is 4.74 L. So I wanna drain / suction out the water. If anything else can be done, please tell me. Note that, during the no-coolant period, the car did not show the overheating warning even once. It functioned normally. Either I was lucky, or the coolant leaked away just days before the service. I have a Chevy Beat TCDi LS. The A.S.S. guys always do jugaads. I saw a guy drying his feet with compressed air. And the latter has enough pressure to remove your eyeballs in an instant in case something goes wrong. Please help. Thanks!

Mods: I believe this has been discussed before, but I cannot find it as usual. Please merge if similar topic exists. Do me a favor, if you merge, remove this note. :stupid:

Last edited:
Re: Remove water to add proper coolant...

first of all cool down brother. empty coolant reservoir doesn't mean your car is running without coolant. Reservoir is for extra ( reserve) coolant. check your car's radiator, it must be full of green color fluid. WARNING:- DON'T TRY TO OPEN RADIATOR CAP IF YOUR CAR ENGINE IS HOT( RECENTLY USED).hot coolant with pressure can burn your skin. wait for the engine to cool down before removing radiator cap.
if radiator is full ,then possibly leakage is in your reservoir or radiator cap is due for replacement. local garage guys can help better to refill coolant if needed.

Re: Remove water to add proper coolant...

first of all cool down brother. empty coolant reservoir doesn't mean your car is running without coolant. Reservoir is for extra ( reserve) coolant. check your car's radiator, it must be full of green color fluid. WARNING:- DON'T TRY TO OPEN RADIATOR CAP IF YOUR CAR ENGINE IS HOT( RECENTLY USED).hot coolant with pressure can burn your skin. wait for the engine to cool down before removing radiator cap.
if radiator is full ,then possibly leakage is in your reservoir or radiator cap is due for replacement. local garage guys can help better to refill coolant if needed.
Just when I was wondering how the hell can my car still run. I'll see what I can dig up. Thank you!

Top Bottom