Can Modern Digital Odometers Be Tampered?

INR 500 and five minutes is all thats neeaded to reset digital odometer at calicut. seen it being done on a maruti wagon R and a Toyota Innova

Re: Is the "Meter Reading" on Swift changeable?

I'm looking to buy an used Maruti Swift. I have come across one and the meter reading on the car shows 30500kms (2008 model). The seller told me that he had changed the tyres recently.

Could you please help me if the meter on the car changed be changed/modified to show a different value?
I know we could do it on a few cars, but not sure for swift.

Thanks
Sundeep
Hi Sundeep, please check all the service records of the car (in physical bills or at MASS System). If the records match with current odo then it will not be tampered. Needless to say all the records should be in ascending order of mileage. If you find the odo has been tampered bring it to the notice of the owner and also stay off from that car.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Digital odos can definitely be tampered with. When I was looking for a second hand car, I would check the service record with TASS before going to see the car and in many cases, I found the odo reading lesser than the last service. How they do it, I didn't find out though.

Digital odometer never resets on ecu reset by disconnecting and reconnecting battery

A digital odometer never resets on resetting the ECU by disconnecting and reconnecting a car battery. So ideally just like a computer bios settings restoring by removing and reconnecting the cmos battery how is the digital odometer readings stored on an ecu without the need of power , but your car clock resets on battery reconnecting. So doesnt ECU need power to function or has any capactitor or cmos battery like thing to provide power

Almost all car meters can be tampered, digital & analog both have different methods to do so. Apart from checking service records, tyre & battery manufacture dates, dates on glasses & cross checking these with the odometer reading, there is no other way (easy/ cost friendly way) to check if meters are tampered. In case of digital Odometers when someone tries to reset the meter, the device does not get damaged.

The cost of resetting a swift odometer (for example) is about 1200/- max in Bangalore, the odometer cost for a swift VDI is about 75xx/- rupees.

Top Bottom