Can Modern Digital Odometers Be Tampered?

Thread Starter #1
Can modern days digital ODO be tampered with or can the KM be rolled-back?
Is there any way to find if its been tampered?

I dont think they can be. But why are asking this? Some mischief going on in your mind?

napster

Suspended
Any thin electrical can be tampered. But you need to take more risk for doing this as digital odo's run with the help of an on board computer. If you dont tamper it the correct way, Then you endup with a malfunctioning computer which may inturn lead to a huge bill when you go for getting it replaced.

My friend's i10 has clocked more than 300kms before registration and after registration, the car had a fresh start. Yes, it can be tampered, even by the A.S.S.

Yes the Digital Odo can be reset or tampered by connecting the Software to ECU and making changes.
I have read on some site that a person reduced the Reading by 2000kms of his BMW which was leased. He did tampering since the car had crossed 2000kms more than that required for Service Interval.

Is the "Meter Reading" on Swift changeable?

I'm looking to buy an used Maruti Swift. I have come across one and the meter reading on the car shows 30500kms (2008 model). The seller told me that he had changed the tyres recently.

Could you please help me if the meter on the car changed be changed/modified to show a different value?
I know we could do it on a few cars, but not sure for swift.

Thanks
Sundeep

Re: Is the "Meter Reading" on Swift changeable?

I don't think that's possible. The best way is to mechanically inspect a car.

tampering is actually not that difficult so it is common I guess.

Reversing the modern so called digital ODOs is easiest of all, it just requires a bit costly equipment to do so. Put the car in limp mode (not all cars have this feature, also, manually putting the car in limp mode is tricky and requires knowledge of sensors, easiest is to manipulate the O2 sensor), put the car in reverse, and turn on the ignition to ACC. Now, the actual device comes to picture. It's a small palm sized remote with a wire to attach to the ECU. It has a few buttons apart from the magical LOOP button (not sure why it is so called). Just press this button and VIOLA, you'l see the odo moving backwards at the speed of light. Have personally seen this but have no pics of the process.

freakdude.

6 months before i have seen such a thing in Coimbatore
- removed battery cable
- removed some sensor connectors
- connected ECU with some small phone like device
- done
- charged Rs.1350/-

Top Bottom