Can I Drive My Used Car Without Ownership Transfer?

Thread Starter #1
I own a 93 model M800. I purchased it a month ago.

The colour earlier was silver but now is changed to white.
Presently the RC is in the name of the seller with fitness valid up-to Jan 2016.
The car is registered in Meerut UP15 and I live in Lucknow UP32
I have the PUC and insurance too.

It will take few weeks for the seller to bring the NOC. Should I drive the car on main roads (as the car is not yet registered to my name) ???

Will the cops fine me for driving a car which is not yet registered to my name ??
The car colour mentioned on the RC Book is silver ??

PLEASE DO REPLY ME ASAP

THANKS A LOTT IN ADVANCE

Re: Regarding paper work of my maruti 800 93 model

Yes, the color change should be updated in the RC book, however, for the name, i dont think it is bothersome. You can tell the cops about the issue and make sure you have the papers along with you. However, to be on a safer side, it would be better wait for the papers to arrive.

It can be troublesome in case of any unwanted road incidents. Better be legal than facing the legal consequence, I would say so because any unfortunate incident(touchwood) will land up the exsting owner in trouble which again might be a trouble for you to explain things. So get things legally transferred to your name then enjoy your drive.

Drive Safe.
Santosh.V

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the reply

I'll not get on to main roads without papers transfered to my name. The NOC will arrive within a week. So its not a very long time wait.

Can We go For long journeys in my Esteem

Hi Guys
Wanted your inputs. i have Maruti esteem mpfi 2002 model, which i brought last year, wanted to know i have not transfreed it in my name till now, the insurance is also lapsed, the RC book is valid till 2016, so i think i have time, I am the 4th owner of the vehicle. The car is in good condition, My question is can i take this car for long journeys say like 1000 to 2500 km to and fro, with my family. will it be a reliable car for the journey.
And which insurance should i take, for such an old vehicle,,, will the insurance be in my name.. please advice[roll]

Re: Can We go For long journeys in my Esteem

i have not transfreed it in my name till now
Any reason? This is against the law.

insurance is also lapsed
can i take this car for long journeys say like 1000 to 2500 km to and fro, with my family. will it be a reliable car for the journey
Forget about mechanical reliability, your car is not road worthy without valid insurance.

RC book is valid till 2016, so i think i have time
You have time for??

will the insurance be in my name
Unless you transfer the car to your name, insurance cannot be obtained in your name. (Insurance can only be taken on the name as per RC)

- Take the insurance first
- Transfer the car to your name (please don't risk the previous owner)
- Then think about taking it for long journey

Update I have done all the legal formalities.. Transfreed the vehicle in my name insurance is vaild till december. The vehicle is now road worthy..........[:D]

Top Bottom