Cabinet OKs Tougher Penalties Under Motor Vehicle Act

Thread Starter #1
A welcome move I would say [thumbsup]

NEW DELHI: The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved the proposed changes in the Motor Vehicle Act. This paves way for passing the legislation in Parliament to increase penalty on traffic rule violators across the country.

The new bill which will be introduced in the Rajya Sabha duing the Budget session has provision to slap Rs 500 fine for not wearing seat belt and helmet or for jumping a red light for the first time. The bill introduces fines for using mobile phone while driving.

The fines will multiply in case the same offender violates the traffic rules subsequently.

As per the new provision drink driving would be dealt with high penality and even jail term. Drink driving will be graded according to alcohol levels in the blood with a punishment that can go up to a two-year jail term and Rs 5,000 fine or both.

Repeat traffic offences will fetch stiff fines with jumping red lights or not using seat belts and helmets attracting fine between Rs 500 to Rs 1,500. The first offence of using cellphone will mean Rs 500 fine and subsequent infringements can set the offender back by Rs 5,000 in penalties. To discourage the use of cellphones, which have emerged as a key reason for road accidents all over the world, the new bill has proposed stiff fines.

Working on the proposition that higher fines work as a deterrent and can induce greater respect for the law, the Cabinet is expected to clear a slew of amendments in the Motor Vehicle Bill on Thursday. The increase in some categories are up to eight-10 folds over existing fines. The changes intend to make the vehicle owner responsible in case a minor is caught at the wheel.

The proposals to hike fines aim to target the major causes of accidents and fatalities on India's roads - drink driving, speeding, non-wearing of seatbelts and helmet and use of cellphone. To penalize habitual offenders, the bill incorporates higher fines and longer jail terms for repeat offences.

The disrespect for speed limits could attract Rs 1,000 fine for the first offence. Subsequently, the penalty could be as high as Rs 5,000.

Source: TOI

@ Mods, I could not locate a suitable existing thread to post the above. If need be, please merge the same. Thanks.

I think this is a welcome move but I have my doubts that in a country like ours, how far it will be implemented on the road. The person caught violating may offer a paltry 100-200bucks for a 1000 rupee fine & get away.

Jazzy

IMO, increasing penalties means the bribe that the traffic police ask for goes higher. I think there are few who pay fine, rest settle for the much less complicated ''proper looking after''.

350Z

Core Team
Move in the right direction indeed and it's something much needed. The major problem still lies in enforcing those rules, that’s what really should be made stringent.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That's right it all depends on enforcing these particular rules. But everything needs a START. So here's that start.

Motor Vehicle Act amendments, 2012

Cabinet approves amendments to motor vehicle act

New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) In a bid to streamline implementation of traffic rules in the country, the cabinet Thursday approved the Motor Vehicle Amendment Bill 2007 to increase penalties manifold.

According to official sources, in order to check use of mobile phones or ipads while driving, the first offence would invite a fine of Rs.500 and the second between Rs.2,000 and 5,000.

In order to curb drunken driving, the bill proposes three categories -- and varying fines.

In the first category, 30-60 mg of alocohol per 100 ml of blood will fetch six months in jail or Rs.2,000 as fine or both.

In the second, 60-150 mg per of alcohol will invite one year in jail or Rs.4,000 as fine or both.

In the same category, a repeated offence would amount to three years in jail or Rs.8,000 as fine or both.

If there is over 150 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, the punishment would be two years in jail or Rs.5,000 as fine or both.

A repeat offence in this category would fetch four years in jail or Rs.10,000 as fine or both or even cancellation of the driving licence.

The bill has a category to punish traffic rule violators under the influence of narcotic substances.

The first offence would invite six months in jail or Rs.2,000 as fine or both while a subsequent offence would lead to two years in jail or Rs.5,000 as fine or both.

The second offence under this category would invite jail for six months or Rs.10,000 fine or both or canecllation licence.

In case of a death in a road accident, the compnesation is proposed to be hiked from Rs.25,000 to Rs.1 lakh. In case of serious injury, compensation would be Rs.50,000.

The amendment bill would be presented in the Rajya Sabha in the budget session starting March 12.

Soruce:Msn News:Cabinet approves amendments to motor vehicle act

Motor Vehicle Act amended, Rs 5,000 for drunk driving | The Asian Age

Cabinet approves amendments to Motor Vehicle Act, steep hike in fines for traffic violations : North News - India Today

On a personal note, I hope that the punishment was 'Fine along with Imprisonment' and not the 'Fine or Imprisonment or Both' like before. Only severe punishment along with strict enforcement can change matters to good. If the usual haphazard enforcement is still followed, it will only do good for the pockets of corrupt officials and the number of road accident deaths will only rise. And so in short I would say, They've just increased the fines in accordance with the fallen value of the rupee.

Last edited:
Hike in Traffic Penalty

Hike in traffic penalty to deter violations including drunk driving

The Union cabinet of India has amended the Motor Vehicle Act for penalties of traffic violations ranging from driving without seatbelts, rash driving/riding to drunk driving/riding. In accordance with these amends, an errant driver may now have to pay ten times the amount or may even be jailed if the situation demands such action.

Driving behavior is impossible to change by implementing fines. People should change themselves. However, in many cases it has been seen that higher penalties have forced many drivers to drive their vehicles within limits specified. Higher fines form the basis for corruption as many individuals don't actually know the amount of the fine.

Suspension of licenses and jail terms may be invoked against erring drivers if the need arises. In many cities some people feel that there is still more scope for higher fines which will deter erring drivers. It should be noted that there are also individuals who are brazen drivers and escape penalties even committing violations. In order to effectively collect fines and keep a check on drivers, the government needs to make use of cameras at crossing, interceptor vehicles, and police patrols and speed guns.

These units should be positioned at intersections and locations where accidents and violations are common. To help curb drunken driving check points at strategic locations should be imposed. It should be kept in mind that in order to maintain decorum on roads one needs to drive/ride responsibly irrespective of the hike traffic fines. The past weekend saw Chennai police swoop in and make drunk driving arrests.

Hike in traffic penalty to deter violations including drunk driving | Rush Lane

IMO, increasing penalties means the bribe that the traffic police ask for goes higher. I think there are few who pay fine, rest settle for the much less complicated ''proper looking after''.
I agree. Also, the average policeman needs to be educated about the law, else they may just use the law to make up their 'quota' of challans.

I still remember when in the early 1980's I was stopped by a cop during election time for wearing a seat belt (Padmini DX used to have diagonal only belts). It was election time and the chap thought I was wearing a Bandolier!!

Top Bottom