Buying Old Honda City 1999 1.3 EXI.

Thread Starter #1
Hi All Experts..

I am planning to buy an Old Honda City 1999 1.3 EXI.

The condition of the car is fair (Not too good, not too bad), the owner of the car is asking for 1 Lac, I somehow indirectly have quoted 70k through a common friend. I am yet to hear the owners thoughts on that price.

I was wondering at what price should that OHC be bought for?

Please advise.

It's a bit urgent.

Thanks..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Vibhor, Thank you so much for the suggestions.

The car has done 1Lac+ Kilometers, it has a LPG installed, leather seats, Pioneer's system. (Which I'll ask him to remove if that makes any difference to the price) it's a bottle green color car (Third owner), Tyre: 50% to 60%, the car has been banged twice (Once by myself at the speed of 35 to 40 only, the radiator and the bonnet were damaged badly) the brakes were working but the car didn't stop despite the tyres not being bad at all, which was quite weird, yet to understand why that happened. Please advice on that as well. Please...

The car has been in front of my eyes since last 3.5 years and it has been used very less (for last 3.5 years at least). I have driven that car many times, it's good but at times reminds me of that incident when the car did not stop. Perhaps some alignment problem would have occurred. (Not sure though)

I will try to post some pics as well.

1 Lac is the asked price, we are going to have a negotiating session within a short time, but I am still not sure about what should be my last bid.

Please advice..

Thanks..

Esteem97 you should go ahead with 70K budget .
I think that’s the best offer to 99city with 100K+ on odometer & LPG third owner etc.

+ve point is that you have been observing the car since last 3.5 yrs.

Wish you all the best[thumbsup]

Thread Starter #5
Rahul, Thank you so much for the suggestions.

70K is what I have quoted indirectly, I am not sure if he would agree to sell it for 70K, if he does that will be great but if he doesn't what should be my last quote? 75K?, 80K?, 85K? or something more than that but less than 1Lac?

Is it worth buying that car for anywhere between 85K to 90K or so? Please advice..

Thanks...

350Z

Core Team
The car has been in front of my eyes since last 3.5 years and it has been used very less (for last 3.5 years at least).
The car might not be used much in this period but mileage of 1 Lakh+ Kms is fairly huge. Given that the car is 3rd Hand + 1 Lakh Kms on odo - ball is in your court. On the other hand, also keep the search on for other OHCs in used car market. Finding one with genuinely lesser mileage should not be difficult.

70K is what I have quoted indirectly, I am not sure if he would agree to sell it for 70K, if he does that will be great but if he doesn't what should be my last quote? 75K?, 80K?, 85K? or something more than that but less than 1Lac?
Negotiate by letting the seller know about existing downsides (Faults) in this car. A few grand more or less are acceptable from this amount. But the seller shouldn’t get a sense that you are desperate to buy this particular car. Some images will be useful for us to take an idea of the overall visual condition. Best of luck for the deal.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
Wish all the Experts a very Happy New Year..

@Vibhor, Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I am sorry for the late reply.

The deal was through for 80K, (Yesterday) but I asked for a test drive before I pay the amount, took the drive and found that the Engine is making lots of noise, as I accelerate more the sound goes higher, upon opening the bonnet I found that the noise was from the cylinder head.

Hence, told the owner that I will have to get this checked from a mechanic as I wasn't satisfied at all and kept the deal on hold for now.
He was ok with it, now I will probably get that checked in the weekend.

The sound was very irritating (Mixer grinder kind of) does that mean that it's time for a engine overhauling??. Please advise.

Should I just forget about that car or should I get that checked?

Also the power windows were not working appropriately which was expected as its an old car but does that mean that it needs PW motor replacement? If, yes, how much do they cost?

Please advice. Please...

Thanks..

350Z

Core Team
The deal was through for 80K, (Yesterday) but I asked for a test drive before I pay the amount, took the drive and found that the Engine is making lots of noise, as I accelerate more the sound goes higher, upon opening the bonnet I found that the noise was from the cylinder head.
Good news but do get a thorough inspection done from a trusted mechanic.

Should I just forget about that car or should I get that checked?
If I were in your place, I would have reconsidered about this decision looking at the number of issues that you have listed in this thread already. As far as spares and experiences are concerned – Existing owners can throw more light on it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@ esteem97

I feel you alone can decide on this car as it would have helped if there was a pic some members could give some suggestions,repairs on this car will be expensive & as you said you have seen this car from past 3 odd years so final decision is yours,& Honda city 1.5 2001 was a gem to drive along with good brakes so i am not exactly sure how the brakes are so bad,it could be possible during the course of its life fake low quality parts have been used or there was air in the brake fluid due to improper brake bleeding,it creates a late strong bite(delay in braking),leads to a lock up.

But as far your mention this car does not seem like a car you want to take for long drive as sitting on a highway in the middle of the night with your bonnet open is not what one wants.when the engine is not warm just check the engine oil level,if its quite less then could suggest worn out rings or other possible engine problems,& am guessing if you buy this car a battery change should be coming along soon.

I would suggest you stay away from this car. The car has too many issues and will cost too much to fix. Spares are also not easy for the older Honda's.

Thread Starter #11
All Experts, Thank you so much for the suggestions..

Yes, even I thought of dropping the idea of buying that car because of such issues and a huge fear of brake failure. (In that particular car).

@Prads, can you please throw some more light on the brake issues please.
I mean though I am not planning to buy that car anymore but still I want to understand what went wrong that day. (When the car didn't stop).

I'll explain the entire incident: It was when I was going to drop a friends family to the airport, there were 3 people (Approx Weight 90Kg+)

I (74Kg) was driving and my friend (Around 85Kg) on the passenger seat. When the car was at around 20KMPH, I Just escaped hitting a scooty, I hit the brake pedal the brakes did work but the car skid (Did not stop), despite the tyres being in a good condition again at 25KMPH or so an auto rickshaw stopped suddenly, I hit the brake pedal the brakes worked but the car skid(did not stop) took a right turn immediately to avoid collision, now I was on the Highway but at a low speed (35 to 40 KMPH or so).

The bus stopped suddenly and I did the same (hit the brake pedal, the car skid and did not stop, this was the last time as I hit the bus and the lights, bonnet and the radiator were badly damaged.

The car was serviced just couple of days back before this mishap took place.

This entire incident might sound completely off topic but I really want to understand as to why that happened.

Could this be because of heavy people sitting in the car? Wrong alignment? or something else?

I asked the mechanic who fixed the damages but he also was not very clear about what might have happened and he was like: (Wo wheel me clip rehta hai wo nikal gaye the to aisa hota hai) What clip??[frustration]

Is there any thing like that?? Due to the brakes would work but the car wont stop??

Please advice:please: as I am really really confused since last 2 years?

One last question: Can that happen in any car having power brakes or is it limited to specific models??

Thanks...

Last edited:
It points out to the brakes not being bleed properly(as you say it was serviced a few days ago),From personal experience when the brake fluids are added you have to bleed them,for example when the syringe is filled with medicine(liquid) you must have observed they tap it to collect air bubbles at one spot & squirt a bit of it so no air is in the syringe,same thing applies to your brake servos,when air is trapped when you press the brake pedal first centimeter feels like it is soft then brakes bite hard as if you are doing a panic stop(it creates a lock up) ,it makes anyone driving seem like an L board driver,in your case i am guessing you dint have time to adjust(puzzled) to the cars new behavior,how well the brakes were balanced also cannot be ruled out.

& as for the mechanic talking about clip i am not sure what he is saying,only clips i am aware in the Honda are for electricals & interior,guessing he was just trying to give some excuse

Thread Starter #13
Prads, Thank you so much for the explanation.

The info provided by you is very useful, thanks a lot for the same, but in my case the brakes did work, the tyres did lock up but the car kept floating forward(With tyres not in a rolling mode but in a Skid mode) with tyres being in a good condition and that's were the worry part came in. What might have made the car keep floating(Skid) forward despite the brakes working fine and tyres (In a good condition) being locked while hitting the brake pedal.

I know this sounds more like a mystery but any other inputs on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks again for the information.

Could be the tires were over inflated & the tire chamber angles were awkward ,meaning contact of the tires with the road was reduced,but i cannot think of anything from personal experience,i have noticed this on cars which change between stock tires & broad tires(alloys) with out having calibration done.

Things you need to check when you buy a second hand car:

- Oil leaks
- Transmission oil leaks and checks
- Gaskets (engine heat)
- Wheel base and body (not corroded )

Since the car was on gas make sure the gas had proper tuning done and changed some parts (some pipes need to be changed)

check for accidents as well just incase

Top Bottom