Buying a Used Maruti Suzuki Gypsy 2001

Thread Starter #1
hi guys,

i have kept my budget 2.5L for gypsy with mod . Because i already have safari .

so i have two plan

1. Buy restored gypsy from Pro Auto Mod for 2.5L . They are best when it comes to gypsy . They are stock so getting mod done will cost me final 3.7L :/ which going way above my budget

2. Buy gypsy from mayapuri . i have seen lot of gypsy but i liked only one gypsy . its Blue gypsy auctioned by MCD . Person told me that it was used by senior officer only . I had inspected it and didn't find any repaint except on one door area . Engine sound smooth compare to other gypsy i have seen . I haven't tested its 4WD will do this friday . Only thing i found -ve about it is engine light comes when you accelerate very hard . some wire problem . i am thinking of getting wire changed except that i haven't found single problem . its like ready to drive gypsy . Dealer is asking 2L which means i can take it to 1.6-1.7L . SO i get everything done within 2.5L . this one suit perfectly

now i can't decide which one to go . what you guys say

@ilango bhai waiting for your reply

Please click some snaps and post them here so that a reasonable guess could be made about the state of the Gypsy that you have seen. Generally, i would stay away from any Mayapuri Jeep/Gypsy unless I am desperate to buy one AND know of a reliable source there. If it's blue, chances are it must be an Air Force one, and Air Force Gypsies are generally less abused than the Army examples. If there isn't too much rust and if working parts etc. seem to be in order, go for it. Check it VERY thoroughly, though with a fine toothed comb. You will find rust at places where you never thought it were possible. Working 4WD gear is essential too as it's an expensive proposition to fix. Since you have said that the engine light comes on, I guess this one's a MPFI example- much better than the carb Kings. Again, post photos - different places, up, down, in, out, right, left, centre 'em all.

Thread Starter #3
i have checked all places to find rust but no where to find even axle are better compare to rest hord of gypsy
here you go snap of blue gypsy
B1.jpg

engine pic of blue gypsy
blue-engine-bay.jpg

also another pic of army gypsy i got interested . its starter need work or replacement . 4 WD of this army gypsy working perfectly asking 1.6L for it

IMG-20120120-00161.jpg

so what do you think

here video of engine running of blue gypsy . lot smooth compare to rest of gypsy .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQga9Fq3No

Man , the blue gypsy is cool . esp the engine bay.

what i fear is , dealer may have cleaned/polished everything since it may be a lemon.
An over clean gyspy is what that fear.

Criminally skilled mechanics , i have seen in chennai , they make engine butter smooth and once you drive some 5000kms it shows original shape. No idea of your dealer and place there.

Btw any other info on the army gyspy. ?

Thread Starter #7
ya me too worried same thing . what do you want to know about army gypsy

@ilango any idea how much does restoring gypsy cost ? even though that army gypsy was running smooth still

Last edited by a moderator:
Every small parts are available off the shelf at mgp. So no worries.

what kind of restoration ?
tinkering and painting depend on the area.
clutch , running mechanicals like leaf spring , ball joints , tyres , etc may be needed to replace for smooth drive.

if engine starts and runs smooth , no need to look after that immediately. Mostly good battery may be removed .

Avoid the army disposal one. It's restoration would cost you lot of time and money. The blue one looks immaculate. Since the blue Gypsy has a private number plate, you can get the details of its owner from the following link:

https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/search/publicSearchDetails.jsp

The link requires the registration no and chassis no of the vehicle. Once you know the owner, have a direct word with him. Since he has already sold the vehicle, there is no reason he would shy away from telling you factual details about it. After you verify the authenticity of the odometer reading, service details, etc, take the Gypsy to a MASS and they would check and verify the mechanical of the vehicles for you for a small fee. Mayapuri dealers are notorious for swindling so you better follow this path before plonking your money on this Gypsy. All the best and keep us posted on the progress.

Thread Starter #10
ilango[speed thirst];131394 said:
Every small parts are available off the shelf at mgp. So no worries.

what kind of restoration ?
tinkering and painting depend on the area.
clutch , running mechanicals like leaf spring , ball joints , tyres , etc may be needed to replace for smooth drive.

if engine starts and runs smooth , no need to look after that immediately. Mostly good battery may be removed .
yes compare to 20 army gypsy some gypsy one or two cylinder wasn't working some other problem . But this one in pic was running better only starter motor was making sound

Avoid the army disposal one. It's restoration would cost you lot of time and money. The blue one looks immaculate. Since the blue Gypsy has a private number plate, you can get the details of its owner from the following link:

https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/search/publicSearchDetails.jsp

The link requires the registration no and chassis no of the vehicle. Once you know the owner, have a direct word with him. Since he has already sold the vehicle, there is no reason he would shy away from telling you factual details about it. After you verify the authenticity of the odometer reading, service details, etc, take the Gypsy to a MASS and they would check and verify the mechanical of the vehicles for you for a small fee. Mayapuri dealers are notorious for swindling so you better follow this path before plonking your money on this Gypsy. All the best and keep us posted on the progress.
that blue gypsy is MCD auctioned gypsy not private . so do you think still i should go for it ?

Yup. Just get the authenticity verified by following what I have written in my earlier post. Visit to a MASS is a must to get a honest, unbiased and professional opinion on the mechanical and structural integrity of the Gypsy. No point in paying Rs 2.5 lakh and ending up with a lemon - you can get 10 of those for Rs. 5 in the vegetable market.

Thread Starter #12
also my antivirus isn't letting me open that website saying its untrusted :?
actually he is asking 2L for that blue one .

or should i go for civilan gypsy 2003 asking 2.5L :/

Thread Starter #13
i just now talked to mechanic . he said engine is no problem but main thing is chassis and body if its ok then we can get pretty new engine 2009-2010 engine for around 20-30k easily and you will have reliable engine with reliable car . win-win situation .

So if i get that blue one for let say 1.5L + 30k(engine swap) + 20k hardtop + 50k(alloy and tire) + 5K 2"inch shackle + 30k(suspension + second seat + electric window + centre lock) + 30k CNG +20k AC = 2.7L approx . slightly above my budget still good

Top Bottom