Buying a Skoda Rapid

Honda city has been my dream car. When I bought my first car, I just went with my heart (had lot of driving experience with 2nd gen Honda city when I was in Bangalore). Honda city is the sole car I 'own'/'owned'. But I had an alto, have a WagonR and a swift at home. Honda City is my daily drive. It's a 2014 June model and I have covered over 50,000 kms now, and the only grime I have is the stiffer ride quality. By making the suspension stiff, they have addressed 'bottom scraping issue', but made the low speed ride harsh. In a state like Kerala, a comfort tuned suspension is always good compared to a stiff suspension.

IMHO Rapid/Vento after sales etc should be better than Fiat
Fiat didnt have a showroom in Mumbai for two years until recently which says alot
Plus FCA seems more inclined towards the Jeep brand off late
Tata and Maruti shifting towards their own in house diesels over Multijet doesnt help matters
I own both Skoda & Fiat cars.
Skoda & Fiat ASS are equally good, gone are the old days of horror stories. And Fiat ASS is cheaper than skoda, it's cheaper than Maruti too.

As far as Petrol vs diesel rapids are concerned, diesel rapid is any day better than petrol, I have adequate experience of driving them.
I will definitely prefer Tjet over TSI any day.

I thought Rapid has 1.6L NA MPi petrol engine and not 1.2L TSi (turbocharged petrol engine).
Correct Gautam!

Rapid has 1.6 NA not 1.2 TSI.

Seems FCA will discontinue all FIAT products in India and will concentrate in JEEP brand only. That's why I am scared to book TJET. And want Rapid Petrol for simplicity.

One question: Any TJET owner can confirm me the FE of TJET 125S pl.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended
I own both Skoda & Fiat cars.
Skoda & Fiat ASS are equally good, gone are the old days of horror stories. And Fiat ASS is cheaper than skoda, it's cheaper than Maruti too.

As far as Petrol vs diesel rapids are concerned, diesel rapid is any day better than petrol, I have adequate experience of driving them.
I will definitely prefer Tjet over TSI any day.
We had a Skoda Superb until 1.5 years ago
Sold because of too many malfunctions and poor service experience

Purely engine talk, Id take Fiat engines anyday but the driving position is very odd with Fiat cars

How is your Avventura treating you? Im planning on going in for a small car in the coming months

Last edited:
We had a Skoda Superb until 1.5 years ago
Sold because of too many malfunctions and poor service experience
Skoda cars are better during warranty and extended warranty period of first four years, for after 4 years, I keep my opinion reserved and what you are saying might be correct.

Purely engine talk, Id take Fiat engines anyday
Me feels, both are gem of engines.

How is your Avventura treating you? Im planning on going in for a small car in the coming months
I am absolutely happy with AvventuraMJD (done 45000 km). In fact I am happier with Avventura than Rapid on all the fronts. She is more VFM than rapid for my usage.

Avventura Abarth( though Petrol) is the most VFM and pleasure product from FIATS in that price bracket. TD it before finalising.

Sirji.
VW sells their 15" alloy for 21K (one of the TAIger have confirmed it), so Skoda selling 16" alloy for 28K seems apt.

6K is too low. Here in Mumbai, even TATA sells Tiago Aktiv alloys for 7.5K so to me personally 6K doesn't seem apt.

Yep, thinking of buying full size steel spare tyre.
My bad, Alone Sirji just got to know that:-
VW 15" one alloy - 21K (imported from Germany)
VW 16" one alloy (used in Polo GT Sports) - 6K (made in India).

You are correct... But the Ripid GC is a issue. It is too much touching in the humps in all 4 TD. Where as TJET 100% find there. Also the TJET Engine is way better then 1.6 Rapid.

I am totally lost!
firstly, sorry for replying to an old post, joined in just today.
I am not sure of the roads in bangalore(as per you location) in hyderabad road condition, there was not one speed breaker that has scraped my skoda rapid. Mine is a my2013 car, elegance 1.6TDi.
not sure if current cars have lowered springs/ CG is reduced but i find it very much adequate in my car for the roads i drive on.

best,
J689

kkn13

Suspended
yeah 160mm and above is very much adequate for our roads
165mm and above for a safer bet as my 160mm City has a very minute touch when loaded with 5 adults on certain notorious speedbreakers but not at all concerning

Yes very true. 160 plus mm with stiffer suspension is adequate in most scenarios.
my ecosport and rapid have never scrapped any speed breakers in hyd. have driven through lot of potholes. rapid is much better than ES in most scenarios for me regarding suspension.

Correct Gautam!

Rapid has 1.6 NA not 1.2 TSI.

Seems FCA will discontinue all FIAT products in India and will concentrate in JEEP brand only. That's why I am scared to book TJET. And want Rapid Petrol for simplicity.

One question: Any TJET owner can confirm me the FE of TJET 125S pl.
Just curious, why not look at s-cross 1.3? it has very good build quality unlike other maruti cars(NOM to anyone, speaking from my experience with my now sold tin can Ritz).
its a good compromise between GC, Power, Reliable ASS, stylish and very comfortable.

For city driving it has to be an automatic petrol or a torquey diesel for me. again its just my opinion.

Guys,
I am a Skoda Fan. Been driving them since 2004, in India and the Gulf regions. These are solid build Quality European Cars. Skoda and VW cars are typically meant for long term ownership as the resale value is not good in India. But the pride and joy we derive from owning and driving them is something to experience.
Most important if you are a Automobile enthusiast who like to customize his car for optimum driving experience then Skoda or VW would be my first Choice.
These cars offer lot of improvements and customization all based on OEM specs to give you the most joyous driving experience.
In fact I own a Skoda Rapid 1.6 MT TDI CR Elegance 2014 model car and am glad to say that I have customized a lot to my taste,
1. DRL with auto on/off function
2. Follow me Home and Leaving home Auto Light - upgrade
3. Driver and passenger reading lamp with overhead light - upgrade
4. Dynamic Trajectory HD rear parking camera - Retrofit
5. Rear Optical Sensors for park assist - Retrofit
6. Auto Air, Humidity, Light and Rain sensors - Retrofit
7. Android 8" Captive Touch Screen Infotainment system - Aftermarket
8. Footwell Lights - Retrofit
9. HID bulb for Low beam - Retrofit

Still many are in the pipeline.
1. Sensors for Coolant Reservoir to indicate low level in MHD - Audi A4 upgrade
2. TPMS - VW Passat upgrade
3. Auto dimming Internal Rear View Mirror - VW Passat upgrade
4. Electricall Foldable Outer Rear View Mirror - Skoda Octavia upgrade
5. Anti Glare mirrors for ORVM - Audi upgrade
6. Blisten B suspension
7. ESP upgrade

Guys,
I am a Skoda Fan. Been driving them since 2004, in India and the Gulf regions. These are solid build Quality European Cars. Skoda and VW cars are typically meant for long term ownership as the resale value is not good in India. But the pride and joy we derive from owning and driving them is something to experience.
Most important if you are a Automobile enthusiast who like to customize his car for optimum driving experience then Skoda or VW would be my first Choice.
These cars offer lot of improvements and customization all based on OEM specs to give you the most joyous driving experience.
In fact I own a Skoda Rapid 1.6 MT TDI CR Elegance 2014 model car and am glad to say that I have customized a lot to my taste,
1. DRL with auto on/off function
2. Follow me Home and Leaving home Auto Light - upgrade
3. Driver and passenger reading lamp with overhead light - upgrade
4. Dynamic Trajectory HD rear parking camera - Retrofit
5. Rear Optical Sensors for park assist - Retrofit
6. Auto Air, Humidity, Light and Rain sensors - Retrofit
7. Android 8" Captive Touch Screen Infotainment system - Aftermarket
8. Footwell Lights - Retrofit
9. HID bulb for Low beam - Retrofit

Still many are in the pipeline.
1. Sensors for Coolant Reservoir to indicate low level in MHD - Audi A4 upgrade
2. TPMS - VW Passat upgrade
3. Auto dimming Internal Rear View Mirror - VW Passat upgrade
4. Electricall Foldable Outer Rear View Mirror - Skoda Octavia upgrade
5. Anti Glare mirrors for ORVM - Audi upgrade
6. Blisten B suspension
7. ESP upgrade
Not sure if you can add ESP to the car in a painless manner. You are better off buying a new car with ESP.

Dears,

I am back to provide to a one liner feedback about SKODA RAPID 1.6 MT.

Today first service completed for my Rapid 1.6 Style MT.

After around 10 months and 5K KM.

The car is absolutely damm good. A perfect all-rounder.

The best petrol Sedan within 15 L as per my TD is FIAT Liena 125 T-JET . Awesome engine and break.

RAPID 1.6 MT is the second best.

Thanks.
GN

Top Bottom