Buying a Skoda Rapid

Exactly my words, "Why not a Honda City"? And, and if you are looking for a car high on performance, why not give the Fiat T-Jet a try?

Also, don't go after the general perception whether to buy x-car (Rapid in your case) in Petrol or Diesel. Do keep in mind, that by changing the engine and the fuel it uses changes the whole character of the car.

If economies are to be left aside, a Petrol Swift/Rapid/etc and Diesel Swift/Rapid/etc are two VERY different cars but have same interiors and exteriors. What I'm trying to say is, the junta generally decides on a car then thinks which would be better a Petrol or a Diesel on the basis of mileage covered in a month. What they don't realize is the different engines are NOT same on performance, not even near similar or slightly similar. Their acceleration figures, weight, torque and power figures, exhaust figures are all so different, and hence two different cars.

If money is not a constraint for you, and you want a smooth running high on performance mill, go a for a petrol one and not (only) because your running is 600-700 odd Kms.

On the contrary, there are those city speed freaks who like the punch in Diesel engines like the one in Swift/Punto etc and buy a Diesel Swift not because of the subsidy one would enjoy on Diesel but for the punchy nature of the Diesel motor.

Ponder on it and go for one that you like and brings a smile on your face.
+1 to 2teja. Pls do consider other options also. Dont just look at one Model and choose between Diesel or Petrol. If the I would think of petrol, I would give Honda (City / Jazz) a serios thought.

Niladri, three questions -
1) What type of mileage are you expecting from the Petrol sedan?
2) How many years do you expect to keep the vehicle?
3) Would you personally drive?

Also you are based out of Malda. Does Skoda have service centre there? Even if you are based in Kolkata and would take the odd weekend drive, road side assistance might be a factor.
Let me know.

Thread Starter #21
Friends thanks for your concern .
The cost of Petrol And Diesel variant differs by Rs 1,32,000 + 30% immediate income tax on the difference + Bank Loan interest on the difference + Income Tax on the bank loan interest on the difference + Diesel engine servicing cost = ????? Much much MORE than the initial difference calculated ie Rs 1,32,000/-.

Thread Starter #22
Dear Chayan
Even with my old Swift I get 10.5 - 13.5 km/lit during different times , ie , city drive combine with long drives with AC on . So I dont expect more .
In Malda Skoda dont have the service centre but few people have Skoda here without any problem.
I drive it in most of the time.
Niladri

Friends thanks for your concern .
The cost of Petrol And Diesel variant differs by Rs 1,32,000 + 30% immediate income tax on the difference + Bank Loan interest on the difference + Income Tax on the bank loan interest on the difference + Diesel engine servicing cost = ????? Much much MORE than the initial difference calculated ie Rs 1,32,000/-.
With respect to the Diesel Engine Servicing cost .. not as bad as it used to be. The new generation diesel engines are much advanced and comparable to petrol atleast during the first 3/4 years. Maintenance costs for Diesel only peak after 5 years, reason why you will find people selling them off (commercial vehicles mostly) after 5 years. Also lot depends on usage.
Also did not get your point on the income tax. You will have to pay 30% even if money is in your bank :-)

Niladri, Since its not the City you are looking at and not interested in diesel; I would suggest you TD the new Ford Fiesta. I would rate it a little higher than Rapid as a driver's car (not saying Rapid is not good, but personally feel Fiesta is just a notch better + ASS is an unknown quantity).

Said that; now knowing that you are currently driving the Petrol Swift, optimal upgrade for you would be the refreshed Fiesta classic Diesel top version. If possible TD before deciding. Not trying to deviate you from Petrol to Diesel, only my personal suggestion.

Above are based on the belief that you are interested in sedan only.

Thread Starter #30
You need a petrol car according to your running. 600 KMs can become 800 KMs later on but cannot become 1600 KMs. It is not that money is not a problem or in other words, you can invest that left over amount (Petrol over Diesel) on ICE upgrade as Skoda's ICE is not feature full. Think from that angle also.

Do some calculations and test drive only petrol varient. I am confident that you will like it.

All the best.

Please tell me what is ICE ?

Top Bottom