Buying a < 7 Lakh Petrol Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you have already shortlisted some cars, so I will not confuse with other options.[confused]

i20 and Polo both are great cars and they have their own characteristics.
My vote if for Polo, if you love driving. Polo's FE is also decent and build quality is top class. I heard that Polo petrol engine is much better than i20. This you can confirm after test drives.
Interiors are similar in i20 and Polo, but Fabia tops in Interiors.
Feature wise, i20 is clear winner.

AMG

Suspended
My advice: go for i20.

And great to know that there will be some other hatch on the forum other than punto :lol!:

i20 = Shynish, RSM, Cooldhaya. AMG
Polo = NOBODY yet

Last edited:
What you guys think about Grade Punto 1.4 Emotion ?Personally, I feel this is very solid, well built car. It will be easy to maintain it as well. Take a look at Ravi sirs post. I think the 1.4 FIRE engine gives excellent FE.

Note: I will not recommend Dzire if you want to keep the car for a long time.

AMG

Suspended
What you guys think about Grade Punto 1.4 Emotion ?Personally, I feel this is very solid, well built car. It will be easy to maintain it as well. Take a look at Ravi sirs post. I think the 1.4 FIRE engine gives excellent FE.
His first priority is good interiors.
And Punto has TERRIBLE interiors.

350Z

Core Team
First of all, Line out the major preferences, is your dad more tilted towards hatchback or a sedan? By having a quick glance through your posts, I assume you are fine with either of them, since the car will be basically used for short city drives. Considering the mentioned requirements, my choice would be Hyundai i20 for hatchback, which sure has affordable maintenance costs and roomy interiors, or Manza for its features and down to earth price, if it has to be the sedan. Usually, when it comes to long term reliability, Maruti Suzuki is what named first, but the long wait list of its best products which suit your needs, could be too annoying.

Drive Safe,
350Z

His first priority is good interiors.
And Punto has TERRIBLE interiors.

I will not term Punto's interior as terrible. However, I do agree that it is not as attractive as i20. Also, it is a trade off between European/Asian breads and matter of personal choice.

Thread Starter #22
Thanks Shynish. The punto might be out, because the rear headroom is not so great. I @Punto owners - I'm almost 6 ft. tall is the punto's rear headroom sufficient for me?
@AMG: RSM has apparently not voted for i20 in particular. His vote probably goes to the Polo.

Well, I shall talk to my dad and get back here.

Meanwhile, what are the basics the Polo lacks, and quality & finesse wise, which car's interiors, the i20's or Polo's are better? My dad & I saw the Fabia last month, and we were impressed by the quality, but I may advice my dad against the Fabia (though I personally love both the Fabia & Polo the same), for fear of AfSS.
EDIT:
@350Z. My dad wants a car that can be easily maneuvered. So, the Manza, as big as a Corolla may not make it. It is just a secondary option.
The main options might be: i20, Polo & Dzire, considering our needs. I'm sure my dad will feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I think the short list is i20 and Polo.

Keep the Fabia out. It has quality, other than that Skoda is not VFM with established trouble in maintenance and ASS (this was the same in Europe as well till it was took over by VW). If it is Fabia, it is better to go for Polo instead.

But still, I will pick i20 [:D]

Thread Starter #24
So, I think the short list is i20 and Polo.

Keep the Fabia out. It has quality, other than that Skoda is not VFM with established trouble in maintenance and ASS (this was the same in Europe as well till it was took over by VW). If it is Fabia, it is better to go for Polo instead.

But still, I will pick i20 [:D]
You read my mind. Look at the post again, I probably started editing it while you were answering.[;)]

Welcome buddy!

When you are taking the i20 test drive, please check it thoroughly and if possible try to see how exactly is the 1.2L engine behaving. A details report on that will save my time as well [;)]

I will not term Punto's interior as terrible. However, I do agree that it is not as attractive as i20. Also, it is a trade off between European/Asian breads and matter of personal choice.
Completely agree here.
Interior wise, i20 and Polo matches, best in segment.

Thanks Shynish. The punto might be out, because the rear headroom is not so great. I @Punto owners - I'm almost 6 ft. tall is the punto's rear headroom sufficient for me?
I believe the rear headroom in all cars, i20, Polo, Punto is similar. Check yourself to confirm.

I have not suggested Punto, because I don't want more confusion.
i20 and Polo are excellent hatches. Look wise (personal preference) Polo looks better.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #27
Yeah, I too feel the Polo is the winner. @ Shynish I can't. I'm too young to!! My dad will TD it. I'll tell you all what he tells me.

Last edited:
guyr mine is totally a different point of view.@ arkin: come on dude. every tom dick and harry on road today has an i20. why do you again want to join that same old group of i20's? get the polo. its a new entrant in the market and you will have atleast a few people turning their heads and seeing the car.

AMG

Suspended
@ arkin
Every tom dick and harry on every forum has a punto.
Get an i20, be unique.

Polo is very high maintenance, presumably, because of VW badge

Or why dont you get a Micra, be unique.
You like its looks, no?
You said it looks like a [pig]

Thread Starter #30
@AMG, yes, the Micra is an option, which we will add to the list if my dad is interested.
My heart is set on the Polo. Let's see what my dad says. Harsha, you read my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom