Building a Custom 4WD Vehicle

Thread Starter #1
Hi

I am attempting to build a 4wd off road vehicle from scratch. I was wondering if the following arrangement will work (attached diagram). I was wondering if the transfer case could be eliminated and the engine gearbox arrangement with in built differential mounted longitudinally to transfer the power to front and rear differentials.

P.S. I also wanted to know which of the cars in Indian market come with independent rear suspensions and 4 wd.

Attachments

AMG

Suspended
Re: Custom offroad 4wd

Independent rear suspension +4WD

Gypsy for sure. Also the MM540
Not sure about Thar.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Custom offroad 4wd

I checked out the Thar. It has independent front suspensions, rear is a live rigid axle and as far as specs of gypsy as per wikipedia, it has rigid axles on both front and rear. I would love if any model of gypsy had independent suspensions, gypsy spares are easily available here in bhopal[;)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I am attempting to build a 4wd off road vehicle from scratch. I was wondering if the following arrangement will work (attached diagram). I was wondering if the transfer case could be eliminated and the engine gearbox arrangement with in built differential mounted longitudinally to transfer the power to front and rear differentials.

P.S. I also wanted to know which of the cars in Indian market come with independent rear suspensions and 4 wd.
[thumbsup]Best of Luck for your project.
[confused]4wd without a Transfer case, is it possible, how to achieve a lower gear ratio?

I said MM540 has it.

NOT Thar.
sir according to my knowledge gypsy 410,410w,413w,MM540,MM550,cl500,
cl550 etc never came with independent suspension system for rear or front.they all are rigid axle with leaf spring suspension.
Thar CRDE has Front independent suspension and rear rigid axle.

pic of rigid axle leaf spring suspension

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
@ feromv

4wd without a Transfer case, is it possible, how to achieve a lower gear ratio?
I was thinking of getting the desired gear ratios by using suitable reduction between the engine and gearbox. I.E. I was thinking about connecting the gearbox and engine via a chain drive with suitable reduction. Then the gearbox with differential will transfer the power to front and rear wheels which is similar to the function of the transfer case. The problem i am facing is where to find differentials (for front and rear) which are compatible with independent suspensions? Because i want to use independent suspensions on all wheels..

Last edited:
Glad to see that you're doing this as a project.[:D]
All the best buddy.Do well.
Post the pictures of each steps involved in this.
Eager to hear more from you.

...I was thinking about connecting the gearbox and engine via a chain drive with suitable reduction...
I would suggest to stay away from chain drive. Efficiency will be very less when compared with shaft drive. Instead try finding the differentials with more reduction.

Cheers.
PS: It is practically not suitable to use the layout you shown in initial post by using engine with differential to avoid the transfer case for a 4x4 drive.

Thread Starter #12
@ boss: why is it practically unsuitable?? (was hoping someone wud tell me the problems that may occur with dis venture). As in why is it not practically possible? Driveshaft problems or riding problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ boss....why is it practically unsuitable?? (was hoping someone wud tell me the problems that may occur with dis venture). As in why is it not practically possible? Driveshaft problems or riding problems?
A differential cannot solve the purpose of Transfer case.
Take an example of Front LH wheel stuck in mud, which is free to rotate due to the front differential. To move the vehicle further you need either a differential lock or in case of 4WD, the rear axle should support. If you are using the engine with differential as a transfer case (where you don't have a differential lock) the front LH wheel keeps spinning without transfering the power to any other wheels.

Thread Starter #14
OK. So what you are saying is that the transfer case is in terms of functionality a differential with a lock (limited slip differential). So that it transfers power to the rear in case one of the front wheels is stuck or vice versa.

P.S. Just to confirm. In case only the transfer case has differential lock and the front and rear differentials dont. Then in that case, if front and rear left wheels get stuck, the vehicle cannot move. Right?

In case only the transfer case has differential lock and the front and rear differentials dont. Then in that case, if front and rear left wheels get stuck, the vehicle cannot move. Right?
Yes.

The layout you shown can be used but with some modifications. Open the engine differential and lock it completely (so it is no where a differential now, this acts as a transfer case) Choose the rear axle with differential lock.

Finally if a 4x4 with independent suspension is what you want, the most reliable and comfortable kit I would suggest is from Nissan Xtrail, but be aware it is costly. On the other hand if you wish to make a cheap 4x4, front independent suspension & rear rigid axle (may be from Safari) is the best option.

All the best for your project.

Cheers.

Top Bottom