Buckle Up: Seat Belts Are Life Saviour

Thread Starter #16
one of my friend earlier used to say the similar thing. We hardly reach at the speed of above 40 kmph then why to buckle up. I gave him a actual demo. Saw in my mirror that no one is benind & applied sudden brakes at speed of just 30 kmph & his head banged... He got to now that even at low speed the impact can happen. Then onwards he has started wearing the seat belts even he wants to move out his car from parking.
That funny[;)] though very effective[clap] Will give this demo to those do not believe in buckling up at rear

Great topic there brandoo !!

one of my friend earlier used to say the similar thing. We hardly reach at the speed of above 40 kmph then why to buckle up. I gave him a actual demo. Saw in my mirror that no one is benind & applied sudden brakes at speed of just 30 kmph & his head banged... He got to now that even at low speed the impact can happen. Then onwards he has started wearing the seat belts even he wants to move out his car from parking.
I have used similar tactics with my cousin brother, who to my shame, was a rash driver(in his early 20's). I always insisted him to wear a seatbelt, atleast when he is sitting in the front with me or driving. Did not listen, I braked real hard at 40kmph..BANG !! :sorry: He was in real pain, but post that day I have never ever seen him start the engine without a seatbelt on or ride a bike without a helmet !! He now echoes those lessons to others on my behalf [lol]

I agree with brandoo's last post, it makes you feel very secure !!

Last edited:
I'm driving not for a very long time. I have started driving from 2009 but from the first day I got my DL from RTO and started driving solo, I used to wear seat belts. My wife is also used to wear seat belts even when she is wearing a sari and going to attend any ceremony. Once my elder cousin brother was giving lot of excuses not to use seat belt when sitting in the passenger side. I simply stopped the car and asked him to sit in the back seat. Though I know that this is not proper to behave with a person who is elder to you but sometimes no other alternates left. I follow some principles. I wear seat belt not for the cops but for the security. Actually when I can purchase a car then I can also pay penalty of Rs.100/- to the cops, that is not a very big issue. We the drivers have to understand that seat belts are not for such trivial issue of Rs.100/- but this is for you and for your beloved who are waiting for your return to home.

Thanks a lot for starting this thread:

My practice is
I look around the car before i enter into it (as it is Aria) and than start the engine take it out from my street (around 20mts and than wear the seat belts. I do so because i have to look out from window to see the gap between vehicles parked in my street (idiot people, dont know how to park properly). If there is proper space than i wear my seat belt right after cranking the engine.
Even i ask my co passengers to wear seat belts front and back. Yesterday i ask my parents to wear seatbelts while they were in middle row.

Note: From here onwards i'll make another rule that, i'll insist all the co passengers to wear seat belts while travelling in my car (whether they'll offended or not). Also request all my friends to follow the same for safety purpose.

Regarding Safety Features in Indian Cars:

IMO govt. must enforce basic safety norms and features in all the cars manufactured and sold in India.
1.) Fog Lamps (front and rear both)
2.) Seat Belts for all passengers (already implemented)
3.) ABS + EBD
4.) Front Air Bags (driver and co passenger)
5.) Some basic Safety Crash Test equivalent to EuroNcap Crash Test V
6.) Reverse Camera or sensors
7.) Fuel cut off and vehicle turn off in case of collision and topple over
8.) Anti Theft system with engine immobiliser
9.) GPS tracking system
10.) Anti Submarine seats (helps people remain in their seat in case of sudden braking)

I call them as basic things but many of them will not agree with me on this.

I know price of the vehicle will increase, but not by many times as if all the manufacturer start using these products in their all models and variants than the cost will come down dramatically.

For eg; an airbag cost around 20k at present but if it would be induced in all the models and variants than the cost will come down to around 10-12k (assumption). Same goes for fog lamps ( in market generally one can go for them in around 2-3k but from company the same thing costs around 5-6k (in swift). But after incorporating it in all the models the actual cost will come down to the same price of 2-3k.

So in a nut shell actual cost of vehicle will not increase by 10-12%. But the kind of safety it will get will be world class.

Thread Starter #23
Tornado,
What you are doing as standard practice is very secure.

I am of the opinion that govt. must make safety features, crash test mandatory rather than leaving it optional (on top variant) on auto companies. Some day govt. will wake up but not own but due to citizen pressure

Thread Starter #24
Another life lost in South Delhi, reason lancer being driven at very high speed, no seat belts and deadly mix of drink and drive. People started blaming bus parked rather than spoiled brats of police officer's hard earned money through corrupt practices. Yes bus guy is at fault but this is reality of our city planning we never kept space for parking in urban planning and hence people have to park on roads. Only way to be safe and alive is to adhere to safety norms such seat belts, speed limits etc.

Top Bottom