Brakes Booster & Brand New Clutch on Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
Since the day I bought my car. The brakes have given me enough sleepless nights. On the highway, the car was like a brake failed car, after 30Kmph the wheels wont even skid on sudden braking.

Spoke to Varun560061 & met him once. I drove his car, his brakes & mine were like sky & earth! The car in itself is in excellent condition, the brakes were unbelievable, feather touch operation!

Got a lot of advice & attention to my car issues. We planned to fix it & he gave me complete list of parts (along with brand name) to be purchased. I did it, we went to his known garage, spent half a day, got the below things done [:)]
  1. Replace Clutch Assembly
  2. Replace Clutch Cable
  3. New Booster brakes installed
  4. Bleeded the old DOT3 oil & replaced it with DOT4
  5. Replaced the brake pads
  6. Identified key rusted points in the car that needs patch welding work

The below pictures will speak the rest

First the new parts
Booster (1).jpg
Booster (2).jpg
Booster (3).jpg
The new KBX Booster

Booster box packing (1).jpg
Booster box packing (2).jpg
The box packing
Kit contents (2).jpg
Kit contents (1).jpg
Kit contents (3).jpg
The above contents come with the kit itself. When you specify to the shop keeper that you need to install (mods) it on M800 he gives all this connectors etc

Clutch assembly boxes (1).jpg
Clutch assembly boxes (2).jpg
Clutch assembly boxes (3).jpg
Clutch Assembly boxes (MGP)

Clutch plate (1).jpg
New Clutch plate
Clutch plate (2).jpg
Clutch plate (3).jpg

Cover Clutch (1).jpg
Cover Clutch (2).jpg
Clutch Cover

Clutch Cable (1).jpg
Clutch Cable (2).jpg
DO NOT BUY THIS COMPANY CLUTCH CABLE! Please buy MGP cable only, MGP costs less than this brand and lasts much longer. I dint pay attention while purchasing so ended up with this brand cable.

Brake shoes (1).jpg
New Brake Shoes - Delphi brand (Always buy KBX brand shoes, much better than this)
Brake shoes (2).jpg
Brake shoes (3).jpg
Brake shoes (4).jpg

Timing belts.jpg
New Timing belt (bought it, but ran out of time that day so will fix it myself may be this weekend)

AT THE GARAGE:

Old clutch colver.jpg
Old clutch.jpg

Re: Booster Brakes & Brand New Clutch on Maruti 800

^^ Great!! Waiting for you to continue your thread. Varun told us the other day that you had a big update. Congrats on your new brake booster kit! Much needed. I have to get one too.

Thread Starter #3
Booster Brakes & Brand New Clutch on Maruti 800 contd...

That's the old clutch plate & the old clutch cover.

Old cylinder.jpg
Old brake oil cylinder

Booster mount (2).jpg
Booster mount (1).jpg
Booster mounting place

booster fitted (2).jpg
booster fitted (1).jpg
New booster fit into place

replaced speedo lamp bulb.jpg
Better illumination - replaced the old 4W bulbs with 5W ones
Will switch to LED Strip pretty soon

Radiator flushed.jpg
Oh yeah, forgot to mention in the beginning of the post.
While the mechanic was removing the gearbox, we took the radiator to the next shop and got the radiator flushed with high pressure water & lots of brown dirty water came out of the radiator. Once the radiator was fit back, added 1liter of Coolant + distilled water.

At the garage (1).jpg
Car at the garage

last (1).jpg
last (3).jpg
Here's my ride now with much better brakes, on my way back home, I was at speeds of 70+ and could clearly feel the difference! NO MORE standing on the pedal, smooth & feather touch operation it gets better and better as the speed increases.

I am sure half of M800 owners still use the stock brakes, they need to test drive one of our cars and will know how much of a difference this booster makes. Infact previously, I never crossed 50Kmph mark with 4 people on board, unless I have toooo much of space to slow down.

One of my known person too owns a M800 & spends a lot on seat covers (4K+) frequent ICE upgrades, but just doesnt go for the booster! Planning to take him for a short drive & make him realise how important this booster is.

Thanks a lot to Varun, having helped me in the purchase + long phone calls & stayed the whole day at the garage with me & my car.

Price List:
Timing belt : 172/-
Booster : 2956/-
Clutch Cover: 605/-
Clutch Plate : 359/-
Clutch Cable : 132/-
Brake Pad : 262/-
Coolant + DOT4 Brake Oil : 250/- (approx)
Speedometer Bulb 5W (DIY) : 10/-

Total Spent on parts (with bill): 5180/-
Coolant & Brake Oil : 250
Labour charges : 900/-

GRAND TOTAL: 6330/-

I am really happy & the money spent on this upgrade is worth it. Infact I recommend & suggest to every Maruti 800 owner to upgrade to this booster brakes asap, if they are yet to do so.

I cant believe that I used to drive on those horrible stock brakes! Nothing is more important than safety, safety of both passengers & pedestrians.

Happy motoring to all.

Thanks a lot TAI.

Thread Starter #4

^^ Great!! Waiting for you to continue your thread. Varun told us the other day that you had a big update. Congrats on your new brake booster kit! Much needed. I have to get one too.
Thanks Loboprashanth,
Almost everyone adviced me to go for seat covers & ICE upgrades first. But I always have this feeling that safety comes first & function is more important than the form. After driving Varun's car, I realised that "BOOSTER BRAKES" are the most important thing I had to get. SO finally got them.

I have mentioned the price & brand names in this thread so that it will be easier to negotiate price at the shop/ plan the budget for this upgrade for TAI guys & everybody else.

I bough this @ the J.K.Automobile on J.C.Road, however there are many other shops who sell the same parts. Preferably reach J.C.Road before 7pm, as shops start closing by 7.30 & most parts are in their godowns which are a bit far from these shops (100 - 200mtrs).

Am sure this thread will help many 800 owners, there are thousands of them out there who could benefit ! Good write up & pics "ss80" [thumbsup]

Thank you ss80 for sharing. Thank you for the break up of prices and pictures of the different parts too. Gives me an idea as to what type of costs I will be looking at to fix the brake booster. Your car is turning out to be quite a good ride [:)]

Hi SS80..

Thanks,I was always thinking to start a thread like this but never started..

Nice explanation.. this thready is specially for M 800 owners..
I suggest all the M 800 to be upgraded with booster brakes..

Thread Starter #8

Thankyou guys, will also try to post a small video clip on how the brakes are performing. At 20kmph, 40kmph and 60kmph, will shoot it at an empty road, incabin shots too will be included.

Here is an info :

For carb 800 no need to doing any sort of drilling or lathe work getting the vacuum for the booster (already a source of vacuum will be there), but in MPFI need to make a hole in intake manifold and tap the vacuum pipe to the booster..

Also the effectiveness of the booster is more in MPFI as it has a separate intake manifold and also can generate more amount of vacume.

Even the brakes in carb 800 are good but it takes more time than the mpfi to fill up the vacuum into the booster, I guess SS80 would share his experience..

Will post the pic's of the vacuum connection of my car.. SS80 pls post the pic of your car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

Yes varun, you are right, it takes slightly more time for the vaccuum to be generated. But this happens only at low speeds, faster you go lesser the time taken to create vacuum. Also if you want to reduce the time taken, then simply increase your idling slightly. Overall, this is an absolute must upgrade.

Great posts and a very helpful thread for 800 owners. I'm adding to your reputation and giving the thread all five stars[thumbsup]

Thanks, Jalex..

Here is the pic which shows where exactly the booster vacuum is tapped (MPFI)..
Here we can find a bulge with more metal, here we need to drill and connect the vacuum connector..

So I guess this would help others to get it done. [;)]

Attachments

Last edited:

Grreat man i just replaced some brake pads , cylinder but dint know about booster

Hi,
Should I have to dismantle that Aluminium box sort of thing for drilling vacuum pipe? please clarify.

No not needed if he is a professional.. its called as intake manifold, to remove that need atleast 3 - 4 hours.. need to get this done with a lathe shop as they need to make the grinding and make thread for the pipe holder to fix..

Top Bottom