Bought a Defective Second Hand Tata Indigo. Now What To Do?

Thread Starter #1
what to do with this car?

Indigo ls diesel manufactured in 2003 registered in 2004.

done about 25,000 kms (bought 3 years back for 250000 spent about 50000 for repairs, hardly used, around 20,000 on odo when bought). suspect odo to be tampered with, must have done 1.20lakhs or 2.20lakhs. bought from a CHEAT (even his employees say that)

now car is not starting, water pump broke + overheating caused head gasket damage.

option1: scrap car, getting 50000, tried hard to negotiate but no one offering more. in this case, would try to get tax waived off because car has just not been used. way too many problems.

option2:

max resale of car 150000 - tax due with penalty 20000 - car repairs to start 10000 (as per estimate) - other expenses 5000.

some other expenses also are ac blower switch broken, some wires need to be replaced and one tyre needs replacement. also some bearings need to be replaced for engine noise. all this another 5000

so 110000

but there are a few problems.

1. when contacted a dealer offered 90000 or 70000 (if tax due) and that was when car was working. many others offer 40000 (seems they want to scrap without seeing condition). some say such old cars dont have much value

since car isnt working not able to find buyer willing to buy as it is. i dont want to get it repaired because i dont want to keep it eitherway, also whats guarantee that it would sell for 150000 or anywhere close?

as per option 1 price as is should be 110000 but i am willing to sell or scrap(prefer) between 90000-110000 as is and take a 20000 or so rs. hit

what should be scrap value of this? any one know of scrap dealers in kolkata? i want car to be taken of the road and parts sold as spares. one should get around 50000 for engine alone after 10000 of repairs.

what should i do with car?

re: What to do with this Car?

IMO scraping the car is the only option which seems logical to me. The condition of your car sounds bad to me. As for the scrap dealers, i feel, i would leave that part for members from your area.

Try to get opinion from Maruti true value/ Mahindra First choise / Carnation old car division.

Try to get opinion from Maruti true value/ Mahindra First choise / Carnation old car division.
+ 1.
try to meet some of the resellers in your city, small or big, branded mostly and see what offers youare getting.Scrapping is the last thing you need to done on your car.Look out of options available.Will send you details of few dealers in your city.
try to contact member dcargod in kolkatta, and see if could be of any help.He was one of our member as well.Cant write his cell no. over here.

Last edited:

see put your best cards into the matter and try your luck every where , scrapping the car is last valid option .best of luck :-)

Re: What to do with this Car?

water pump broke + overheating caused head gasket damage
I do not think for such an issue a car need to be be scrapped. people build amazing machines from junk and this is just a general issue here .

IMO scraping the car is the only option which seems logical to me.
I wonder why Akash have such an opinion?

I would suggest get it checked with a good ,countable Mechanic at first place.

the repair charge that you mentioned is 10,000 inr buddy. i presume its 100000/inr. thats too much.get a local mechanic who knows the job. he will most probably be able to finish the job at a low price.

Top Bottom