BMW To Recall 3422 Units of 5 & 6 Series in India

Thread Starter #1
Just a day after the reports of BMW recalling 120,000 units of 5 and 6 Series sedans in China, it has been reported in The Economic Times that the German luxury maker BMW is reportedly calling back over 3,422 units of its 5-series and 6-series models to fix a potential problem with a battery-cable cover in India.
The report stated that BMW's recall comes within a short span of similar call backs by companies like Tata Motors, Nissan, Rolls Royce, Honda and Maruti to replace faulty parts. BMW's India recall is part of a global exercise and will see the company fix the problem on a total of 3,422 units sold between the year 2007 and 2010. "In some remote cases, the battery cable cover inside the boot of these vehicles may be incorrectly mounted. This can result in the electrical system malfunctioning , the vehicle failing to start and, in some cases, to charring or fire," BMW said.

It was mentioned in the report that the company would start informing customers about the exercise and the part replacement should happen soon. According to BMW spokesperson, "It will be done free-of cost and should take about 30 minutes." He also added that not all units sold in the Indian market are effected by the recall. "There have not been any accidents or injury to persons due to this fault," the spokesperson added. According to the report, recalls are not very prevalent in India and companies are often reluctant to announce them as they fear negative fallout on branding and sales. Lack of an official recall policy in India makes many of them go quiet on the matter and report it only when it affects the global markets, many of whom mandatorily seek announcement in case of a defect that is generic in nature. The last few months have seen a spate of such exercises as automakers call back cars to fix defective parts.

Source:
BMW to recall 3,422 units of 5 and 6 Series sedans in India | WheelsUnplugged

Re: BMW to recall 3422 units of 5&6 series in india

Hell, whats happening ? And the cars to be recalled are from 2007 ! What were BMW guys doing for past 5+ yrs ? [confused]
In past 5 yrs, the owner would have also changed in several cases. How will BMW communicate with the new owners who bought say 2007 or 2008 model in resale ?
Neways, thanks that 3 series is not there. Would have caused me dissapointment.
And Rolls Royce ? I lost the admiration for this co. when it was taken over by BMW. Now it feels like 7 series with different set of body. Even the i-drive is similar.

I for this reason liked what Merc did, closed the Maybach brand altogether. And the 2013-14 S Class will be the best car on earth (even current S Class is best, but this will take the industry benchmarks to more higher standards), this is what the car sources are informing. Eagerly waiting for this new launch.

Last edited:

Top Bottom