BMW i5 (2023) Electric Saloon Spotted in Heavy Camouflage

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
BMW i5 spy.jpg

The BMW i5 will share the same modular CLAR underpinnings as the combustion-engined 5 Series, but it’ll be powered by an updated version of the electric motor and battery pack found in the iX3. The SUV is based on a similar platform.

BMW i5 spy-4.jpg
It’ll be powered by BMW’s fifth-generation electric powertrain, which comprises a 282bhp electric motor on the rear axle and an 80kWh battery pack. In the iX3, the system gives a maximum range of 285 miles, but the i5’s more aerodynamic shape could push this figure past the 300-mile mark.

BMW i5 spy-7.jpg

If BMW uses the iX3’s powertrain in the i5, it’ll almost certainly use its charging system, too. The SUV is capable of charging at up to 150kW, meaning a 10–80 per cent recharge takes just 27 minutes. When connected to a home wallbox, the battery can be fully recharged in around 12 hours – and there’ll be an on-board 11kW charger if you get caught short.

BMW i5 spy-11.jpg

With the exception of a blanked-off radiator grille and a new diffuser (which removes the standard car’s exhaust outlet) the i5 and the 5 Series will look identical.

BMW’s design approach for its eighth-generation executive saloon will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The new car has a similar silhouette and stance, with a set of sharper headlamps and a slightly more rounded nose – likely to improve its aerodynamics.

The BMW Group has already confirmed that it’ll launch 25 new electrified models across its range of brands – and roughly half of those cars will ditch combustion power.

Other stalwart brands in the BMW line-up will also gain pure-electric derivatives in the near future, such as the X1 SUV and the flagship 7 Series saloon, which will go on sale next year as a new competitor for the Mercedes EQS.

The BMW i5 will go on sale in 2023, alongside the next-generation 5 Series, becoming a new rival for the upcoming Mercedes EQE and the recently updated Tesla Model S.

Credit: Autoexpress

Thread Starter #2

Nairrk

Honoured Member
2023 BMW i5: first official look

BMW i5 estate spyshots-2.jpg

BMW has already confirmed it’s developing a new all-electric saloon car to sit alongside the next-generation 5 Series, which will be called the i5. But now, we have our first official images of the i5 testing in a cold weather environment ahead of its October unveiling.

BMW i5 estate spyshots-5.jpg

Although these test cars still wear plenty of camouflage, we can ascertain a few key design details already. These new pictures show the i5’s design won’t differentiate too much from the upcoming eighth-generation of the combustion-engined 5 Series, similar to the 7 Series and i7. The kidney grilles will be a little more restrained than those found in the i4 and there’s just a single headlight cluster, rather than a dual cluster setup like on the new 7 Series and iX.

BMW i5 exclusive image.jpg

Details such as recessed door handles will help improve the aerodynamic drag coefficient along with a new design of seven-spoke alloy wheel. On the rear pillar we see a plate covering the area where BMW’s classic ‘Hofmeister kink’ design trait would be expected. Like the i4, the charging flap will be situated on the driver’s side rear three quarter panel.

BMW i5 official pictures-2.jpg

BMW has also confirmed it will offer an i5 Touring all-electric estate car alongside the i5 executive EV saloon. The EV estate segment is a little sparse currently with just the MG5 EV and Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo to speak of but more rivals will come in the shape of the Audi e-tron A6 Avant and Volkswagen ID Space Vizzion. The saloon meanwhile, will take on the Mercedes EQE and Tesla Model S.

BMW i5 official teaser.jpg

The i5 will be joined by a hotter performance EV too, according to BMW’s CEO. Speaking at the brand’s annual conference, Oliver Zipse said: “A fully electric performance version from BMW M will also be included in the new BMW 5 Series line-up” before mentioning that BMW’s i4 M50 was the best-selling BMW M model worldwide in 2022. This new M Performance model could potentially be badged i5 M60, sharing its powertrain with the iX M60 SUV.

Autoexpress

Thread Starter #3

Nairrk

Honoured Member
New BMW i5 unveiled: the first pure-electric 5 Series

BMW i5 2023-2.jpg
BMW has been using a twin-track approach on electrification for some time, mixing combustion power with pure electric on several of its vehicles, but this could be the most important model yet - the new 5 Series-based BMW i5.

BMW i5 2023-13.jpg

Both the regular 5 Series and the i5 are due to go on sale in October and a more practical ‘Touring’ estate version of each will join the range in 2024. The i5 enters the all-electric executive saloon sector which already has the likes of the Mercedes EQE, Tesla Model S and Genesis Electrified G80 available to UK buyers.

The entry-level i5 will be rear-wheel-drive eDrive40, priced from £73,200, which has a single electric motor with 322bhp and 430Nm of torque. That power comes from a 81.2kWh battery – enough, BMW says, for a 0-62mph time of six seconds and a range of between 296 and 362 miles, depending on spec. It can be charged at up to 205kW, allowing a 10-80-per cent refill in half an hour.

The flagship of the whole 5 Series range – at least, until BMW’s M division comes up with its expected hybrid M5 – will be the i5 M60 xDrive. As its name suggests, it has a motor on each axle for four-wheel drive and a combined output of 593bhp and 820Nm of torque. It can reach 62mph in 3.8 seconds and a limited top speed of 143mph, but since it mixes this extra grunt with the same battery capacity, its range drops to between 283 and 321 miles.

Following BMW’s established strategy for it’s electric models, there aren’t too many design changes between the petrol-powered 5 Series and the i5. The styling is also an evolution of what’s gone before – as is usually the case on one of BMW’s cornerstone vehicles. The front has slimmer headlights than previously and, in line with the firm’s recent designs, a larger front grille – but the car is still clearly recognisable as a 5 Series. The grille itself is blanked off to improve aerodynamic efficiency. The 10cm gain in length over the old G30 5 Series gives the Mk8 model a slightly more rakish profile, though, particularly around C-pillar and boot.

The ICE and EV models’ similar exterior design extends to the interior as well. Both use BMW’s double-screen instrument panel and infotainment set-up. The dials continue to be housed in a 12.3-inch display, but the curved panel now features a larger 14.9-inch infotainment system towards the centre of the fascia.

BMW’s ‘Interaction Bar’ features as well - also seen on the 7 Series and i7. It’s a slim, backlit control panel that runs across the entire dashboard and into the front doors, and allows passengers to adjust the ventilation and seat settings. The centre console has been cleaned up, too, with a small toggle gear selector instead of a traditional stick shifter.

The cabin is completely vegan as standard – even in the entry-level version – with leather-like Veganza used on the seat upholstery and, for the first time at BMW, a vegan material on the steering wheel. BMW plans to continue offering its Merino leather upholstery as an option, however. The i5’s boot space stands at 490 litres - down 30 litres on the petrol 5 Series.

BMW i5 2023.jpg

BMW i5 2023-3.jpg

BMW i5 2023-4.jpg

BMW i5 2023-5.jpg

BMW i5 2023-14.jpg

BMW i5 2023-15.jpg

BMW i5 2023-16.jpg

BMW i5 2023-10.jpg

Autoexpress

Top Bottom