Blue Moon on New Year

Thread Starter #1
December 31: Blue Moon new years eve, Blue Moon December 2009, Blue Moon schedule, calender and meaning. If the wet Christmas ruined revelers happiness in most part of the United States and Europe then the ushering out of a blue moon will lift their mood. Astronomical society is calling it a significant development as it is a rare incident.

The last time it came out was 20 years back. And it is being predicted that this historical moment won’t be repeated until 2028.

Eric Clifton, chairman of the group's observatory at Jubilee College State Park and a longtime member of the Peoria Astronomical Society, said: “A blue moon is not something that happens all the time. Traditionally, it is any month when you have two full moons in the same month.”

This occurrence is not common. The rising of a moon twice in the same calendar month is a rare happening. Experts say to circle the Earth the moon takes a total of 29.5 days. And the last time the full moon rose was on December 2.

"That means, of course, that (blue moons) are probably more prevalent in months with 31 days. The date of the blue moon is strictly a matter of the convention man has set up and called his calendar," Clifton said. The term “blue moon” came into existence in the 1940s. Earlier, it was just mean absurd or something rare, according to NASA.

"It's just kind of an astronomical coincidence," said Clifton.

"There's a lot of other crazy things going on in the universe. Blue moons just don't turn my crank like some other astronomical things."
courtesy: Khabrein

Thread Starter #2
Has anybody viewed this natural phenomena??

I have viewed but the colour is faded bluish ,cant recognize it so well.It was suppose to start at 12:21am and continue till 12:28am, 1st Jan 2010.Got a window of only seven minutes to view it.

Last edited:
I wasnt even aware of this. it was quite cloudy, not even moon was visible.

Nice pics. Seems you had a blast last night. Anyways the moon isnt looking blue.

350Z

Core Team
I wasn't aware and didn't knew about it.
Zinam, Thanks you for the pictures, Looks like a regular one though.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks RSM, AHI & Vibs.

Yes. I do agree that its a normal moon. But i waited till 12.30 to capture it & no sign of Blue color :)

Top Bottom