Black Puppy Comes Home - Our New Black Maruti Alto K10

Thread Starter #31
@EYEDOCRSI do u find any difficulty in engaging reverse gear just after start up?i get a strange type of sound always in my k10.what i do is, wait for 10 secs and then slot into reverse gear,nothing happens
I haven't noticed any such noise so far. But i always engage first gear release the clutch halfway then engage reverse gear after a cold start. I was told to do this when i started driving 15 yrs ago i am yet to understand the reason behind it [confused]
BTW earlier esteem owners used to have problems with reverse gear noise.
Can experts shed some headlight on this :please:

I haven't noticed any such noise so far. But i always engage first gear release the clutch halfway then engage reverse gear after a cold start. I was told to do this when i started driving 15 yrs ago i am yet to understand the reason behind it
Its more of an Indian superstition,almost everyone I know does this(atleast in karnataka) including me,its quite symbolic that you move your car forward,even if there is no space in front after parking its atleast put to first gear then reversed.

EyedocSri, heartly congratulations on your black puppy.I love cars in black colour,Infact i waited for my black figo to arrive for 1.5+ months.I wish you a happy and fulfilling ownership experience with your k10.
Also regarding gear issue,I really don't know if it is a superstition,but I have experienced this on my Figo diesel.After a cold start if I engage reverse immediately I do face some problems/strange sound,I myself have adopted the practice of engaging First gear first and then going to the reverse gear.

@EYEDOCRSI do u find any difficulty in engaging reverse gear just after start up?i get a strange type of sound always in my k10.what i do is, wait for 10 secs and then slot into reverse gear,nothing happens
I face the same problem too on my K10. But I think the problem is with the hard gear shift and I dont face it if I engage the shift more carefully. Probably, this issue will vanish after a good run of kms.

Its more of an Indian superstition,almost everyone I know does this(atleast in karnataka) including me,its quite symbolic that you move your car forward,even if there is no space in front after parking its atleast put to first gear then reversed.
Not sure if this is a superstition - do we always have to shift the gears from 5-4-3-2-1 style or can I shift the gears directly, say to 2nd gear from 5th or from 4th to 2nd. (of course, only when there is a sudden drop in speed)? I have been instructed by many to follow the 5-4-3-2-1 way... Please advise.

thanks vishwas i live in vijaynagar and thanks all for the compliments.
answers to the questions.

1.I never liked the looks of the ritz so it was never an option for me though the figo came close to my requirements but I felt the cost cutting shows at some places in it.
2.i bought 5 alloys and 5 tyres I liked his design and dint want to have a mismatch if i lose one ( i paid 12500 for 5 at car shringar JC road).
3. No paint treatment coz i did a fair bit of reading on the net and i felt it is not useful ( comments invited :) ).
4. Gosh. it is hard work to write up for a thread. hats off to all those guys who share their gyaan on this forum for us.
5.sorry havent taken interior pics will do it over the weekend please hang on to this thread.

Those are nice set of alloys buddy, congrats!! I assume 12.5 K is only for the 5 alloys without tyres. Please confirm as K10 comes with stock radials which gets along well with those alloys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #35
Those are nice set of alloys buddy, congrats!! I assume 12.5 K is only for the 5 alloys without tyres. Please confirm as K10 comes with stock radials which gets along well with those alloys...[/QUOTE]

thanks..
12.5k i s only for 5 alloys the car came with jk tubeless tyres and exchanged it for the bigger potenzas... more details this weekend [;)]

Thread Starter #36
main story continued
well the initial plan was to get myself the swift and give my M800 to my wife who is new to driving.
But she never wanted the m800 for the lack of ac and power steering.that was reason enough for us to look at the alto as the next natural upgrade for her while i get my new swift.
the 800cc alto was about Rs 3.5L on road and the Alto K10 Lxi was about Rs3.73L and vxi 3.93 on road.
dad and I went to RNS motors checked out the alto. But i somehow never wanted to got for the 800cc alto as it was too small a upgrade for me and performance tops my priority when it comes to buying a car even if it for my wife and had read all the reviews of the K10 being such a hoot to drive in the city. That took a bit of convincing my dad that the K10 was a better alto that the alto as it had newer K series engine better Ac more efficient etc etc.[;)]

we took a test drive [clap]
my first reaction was "this IS the car i want" It is peppy the way i like it.. has good gear ratios, rides decently has enough creature comforts to keep people happy.
in the next post:
1.the color.
2.dealer deals.

the car came with jk tubeless tyres and exchanged it for the bigger potenzas...

Bigger tyres?[confused]... The stock ones already come with 13". If I go for one, do I need to replace the stock tyres too?

Thread Starter #38
the car came with jk tubeless tyres and exchanged it for the bigger potenzas...

Bigger tyres?[confused]... The stock ones already come with 13". If I go for one, do I need to replace the stock tyres too?
let me explain [:D]
The K10 comes with 155/65R13 JK tubeless tyres. I exchanged them for 165/60R13. I should've written wider instead of bigger actually. The K10 is seriously under tyred for the kind of power it has and upgrade is a must. The size that i upgraded to is a perfect fit without looking too big. The GC comes down a little bit (5-10mm) i guess but i haven't had any problem with it so far.

Thanks for the clarification. 4K kms already done on my tyres so cant sell it now. Hopefully, these will fit if I go for alloys.
Sorry, bumping into the worng thread(but still relates to K10). Initially when I was planning for K10, I was going through the santro specs. There was no major difference except for the cylinder. Santro with 4 and 3 for K10. How does this matter? The question my be silly but I am not aware. :stupid:

Not sure if this is a superstition - do we always have to shift the gears from 5-4-3-2-1 style or can I shift the gears directly, say to 2nd gear from 5th or from 4th to 2nd. (of course, only when there is a sudden drop in speed)? I have been instructed by many to follow the 5-4-3-2-1 way... Please advise.
it is always advisable to go to use gears to slow down under heavy braking,I usually go from 5th to 3rd directly & introduce half clutch & gently introduce full when slowing down from a high speed

it is bad if lets say on your alto 2nd gear redlines around 80km/hr & your travelling at 120 in 5th & you suddenly brake hard & change to 2nd in an instant,your engine will shoot from 2100 rpm in 5th gear to red line,
so you can go to 3rd gear instead(may vary if car is geared short/tall & speed) when slowing down from high speed but its not at all necessary to follow 54321 downshift.

As for your difference between 4 cylinder & 3 cylinder question between santro(1086cc) & k10(998cc) its not a big deal,as small cc petrols run smooth,
but 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder cars will be have better engine balance when running compared to a 3 or 5 cylinder car, difference in vibrations(noise also) in diesels can be huge depending on cylinder configurations..

Maruti just found it cost effective & viable to take the 4cylinder(1197cc) k-series engine & make it smaller by cutting out a cylinder & fitting it to A-star & alto k10 ,like chevy did in diesel beat with fiat 1.3 multijet engine,as you can see in the beat the 3 cylinder config makes it run nosier!

Last edited:
let me explain [:D]
The K10 comes with 155/65R13 JK tubeless tyres. I exchanged them for 165/60R13. I should've written wider instead of bigger actually. The K10 is seriously under tyred for the kind of power it has and upgrade is a must. The size that i upgraded to is a perfect fit without looking too big. The GC comes down a little bit (5-10mm) i guess but i haven't had any problem with it so far.
Hi,

I am going for white puppy next month, [:)], just wanted know , how much did you pay for tyres? and how much did your old tyres fetch you. waiting for your full write up. Also I want to know which is the best music system? sorry for many questions at a time

Regards,
Srikanth

350Z

Core Team
I am going for white puppy next month. Also I want to know which is the best music system?
Congratulations and welcome aboard, Srikanth. I'm posting a few links related to ICE which might be helpful for you:

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/2451-ice-maruti-alto-k-10-a-2.html
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/5060-suggestions-ice-setup-my-alto.html
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...725-four-inch-components-maruti-alto-k10.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #45
Hi,

I am going for white puppy next month, [:)], just wanted know , how much did you pay for tyres? and how much did your old tyres fetch you. waiting for your full write up. Also I want to know which is the best music system? sorry for many questions at a time

Regards,
Srikanth
Hi srikanth I paid 3200 per tyre and I got about 1700 each for my old tyre. But I got amlost nothing for the old rims and the wheel covers..
I'll be coming up with my car interior pics and ICE tomorrow.

Please exchange those OE Tyres and get a set of White alloys with machine finish for your White puppy. They will look great.

Top Bottom