Best Petrol Hatchback with Low Maintenance Cost

You have already filtered all and everything out of your list except Punto and Beat but still I'll try to change some misconceptions:-
1> Maruti : for their toy like cars ...IMO:
Why don't you check out new Swift?It has got good build quality and has great ride and handling balance.Also check the Ritz too.

+1 to what TSIVipul said. My friend you are speaking about toy like car of Maruti but I would say you might be speaking of early 90s. Maruti have come back very strongly in their design, features & quality. You can definitly consider New Swift/Ritz. They do have excellent build quality & comfort for the package. Good luck[clap] keep us posted on you buy.

Happy Motoring[:D]
Santosh.V

Thread Starter #17
Dear Friend,

thx for all your advice.

In Bangalore Jazz is 7 L so out of my reach!

Now I have got options in petrol:

1>Volkswagen Polo Comfortline 1.2L (P) (Is the seating comfortable?)

2>Fiat Grande Punto2012 Dynamic 1.2 (is the motor underpowered?)

3>Hyundai i20 2012 Magna (O) 1.2 (Is it having poor FF?)

My question:

1> Which one is the best overall?
2> Lowest maintain cost and spare parts cost?
3> best Mileage?
4>Best ongoing offer?

Thx in advance.

well, I found Polo is costly to maintain...
every 15K interval 15K u need to spend :(

I20 seems low in FF (12 KM max.)

am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrey, every car has both advantages as well as disadvantages, plus you have gone from Beat to Polo which means every car that we suggested made a soar point for you, so what's your final decision my friend?

I mean you have to compromise in any one of the cons.
Sorry, I know abs, airbag is good but money is a real issue here. :(
Then Buy an hatch with limited budget and less features which is obviously Beat or Ritz.

Every car needs to be maintained at given intervals. Else it will cost a bomb.

Anyway you take the car outside rarely, so why to worry about the fuel? Look at the comfort it gives.

Fiat Grande Punto2012 Dynamic 1.2(is the motor under-powered?)
Not at all. Even if its under-powered, it gives more mileage.

See at the end of the day Maruti cars makes sense if you are budget conscious, need a fuel efficient vehicle along with less maintenance costs.

Thread Starter #19
Hello Guys,

I am back and with new confusion.

As I already mentioned but still want to repeat again:

1> My use only in week-ends and in emergency. Monthly hardly 500 KM.
2> No plan to resale.
3> Want low maintain cost/safe/comfortable/spacious car.
4> Some time will go for long drive/ Ghat area too.
5> Confused with Petrol or diesel??????????

I have zeroed to the following:

1> Punto 1.3 Active Diesel

2> New Verito G4 Petrol

The cost almost same ( Punto 50K more costy)

What should I go for? Please help.

For your kind of usage Diesel would not make sense,the new Verito is packaged very well and has a proven underpinning's and since it's a Mahindra the running cost should not be too expensive.

Dear Friend,

am I correct?
I seem to be late in replying.

Polo service is 15k, but who says you need to spend 15K Rs? Its totally false, even vento service is not that much. Polo petrol service may vary between 6-7k RS. per year/per 15k kms. Even this cost goes away when you avail free Annual maintenance contract provided by on all petrol polo.

Anyways, this is just to clear your doubt as it seems you have chucked polo out of your choice.

My friends with i20 petrol claim 8-9 kmpl in city, and they are not happy particularly with FE.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Dear visran,

Thanks for your reply.

I and my wife both like New Verito (And Offcourse PUNTO!).

But I donot see anybody buying Verito Petrol? Is the Petrol engine not good or not time tested?

Hi HSR2,

If you are interested in Vertio Petrol why dont you take a look at Ford Classic petrol which has more power and awesome handling compared to Verito petrol.

Thread Starter #24
Nofate: Thx for your time.

I cut Ford F from list as :

Do not feel comfortable, FE only 8-9 km as per many owners I spoke, High maintain cost,

So , my option is Only either NEW Verito G4 petrol or Punto 1.3 active Diesel.

Can you help within these two only.

Dear visran,

Thanks for your reply.

I and my wife both like New Verito (And Offcourse PUNTO!).

But I donot see anybody buying Verito Petrol? Is the Petrol engine not good or not time tested?
If you like the Verito just go for it,personally i haven't driven the Verito Petrol but have travelled once in a friend's car which behaved very sedately and it had more than 50K on the ODO, it has a practical spacing with humongous boot, have you taken the TD?

Nofate: Thx for your time.

I cut Ford F from list as :

Do not feel comfortable, FE only 8-9 km as per many owners I spoke, High maintain cost,

So , my option is Only either NEW Verito G4 petrol or Punto 1.3 active Diesel.

Can you help within these two only.
Given your requirements.. Punto wins hands down. I understand you dont like the Beat; but think you should have a re-look. You get Diesel at the same price and 3 years cashless owner ship offer. Being a Chevy owner myself will vouch for the offer. You will not have to spend a single dime on maintenance. Diesel gives great mileage too.

Given your requirements.. Punto wins hands down. I understand you dont like the Beat; but think you should have a re-look. You get Diesel at the same price and 3 years cashless owner ship offer. Being a Chevy owner myself will vouch for the offer. You will not have to spend a single dime on maintenance. Diesel gives great mileage too.
+1000 it's a awesome little cute car with super duper built quality .

Thread Starter #28
Dear Friends,

Thx for the advice but no BEAT please.

Also I have cut down the Verito G4 due to Poor resale price and seems nobody buy this car.

So the list updated to:

1> Punto 1.3 2012 Dynamic or 2> Honda Jazz Base version.

Can anybody explain the pros and cons of both?

Dear Friends,

Thx for the advice but no BEAT please.

Also I have cut down the Verito G4 due to Poor resale price and seems nobody buy this car.

So the list updated to:

HSR2, you are comparing a Petrol car with a Diesel one and hence fuel cost wise the diesel car would have an advantage.

Overlooking that I would say that Punto is probably a notch better (only a notch) in handling and driving experience, however in all other aspects Jazz is clearly the Punto's master.
Interior, front/rear legroom, boot space, ABD & EBD, Air Bags all are included in the base version. And the 1.2 lt iVtec engine is a gem on the highways.

ASS wise too, Honda is better than FIAT. Still would advice you to TD both and decide.

Punto is now proven and tested it has got the National engine on (read Multijet=DDiS=Quardrajet) any one should have no doubt on capabilities of this engine in terms of FE power and reliability.
Poor part so called ASS.

Whereas Jazz has got lot of ups and downs in its lifecycle in terms of sales and acceptance by Indian buyers so i doubt on the continuity of Jazz as Brio is in the game to attract the low budget buyers.

Top Bottom