Best Method to Use A/C During Summers?

Thread Starter #1
Suppose the car is standing in hot sun light for long time, it gets heated from inside also.
When starting AC just after that what should we do to get quick cooling effect?

Recently, i had this situation, i switch-on AC, keeping all windows closed. Kept the AC in non-circulation mode, but it took very long time to cool. I am wondering what should we do, should we open windows for few minutes or run the AC in circulation mode???

Well, the standard procedure says ...
Start the blower, at max speed, in the foot mode if necessary (if the hot air blast to the face cannot be suffered). The windows should be at this stage cracked open a little bit (1~2 inches) and if you have a sunroof, keep it tilted open. The ventilation should be in the fresh air mode.
Once the superheated air inside the car has escaped, you can start the a/c, the blower can be brought down a notch or two (fan speed) if required. Change over to the face mode. The ventilation should now be brought into the recirculation mode.
After a few minutes, you can close the window glasses, and continue.
Fan speed should be kept as low as comfortable. This ensures sufficient cooling of the circulating air.
I also find that washing the wind-shield helps, as the water spray cools down the cabin a bit.

350Z

Core Team
It is not advisable to immediately switch on the AC especially when car is parked under sun for long time. Once you get inside the car in summers, Roll down the windows for cross-ventilation and after sometime you can switch the AC on. Read the following thread in our old forum: Car AC Alert!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Thanks Aditya for nice explanation.

@350Z,
Great thread. I have just copied the first post here for easy reference.

crazy_cat

Please open the windows after you enter your car and do not turn ON the air-conditioning immediately. According to a research done, the car dashboard, sofa, air freshener emits Benzene, a Cancer causing toxin (carcinogen- take note of the heated plastic smell in your car). In addition to causing cancer, it poisons your bones, causes anemia, and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukemia, increasing the risk of cancer may also cause miscarriage.

Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft. A car parked indoors with the windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene. If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 60 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level... & the people inside the car will inevitably inhale an excess amount of the toxins.

It is recommended that you open the windows and door to give time for the interior to air out before you enter. Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver, and is very difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff.

Last edited:
Hey RSM , Aditya and 350Z has explained your query very well. But that is a very useful thread from the old forum. I always roll down the windows for sometime for the hot air to escape but till now never knew that it contains toxic gases also!!

I think the issue of carcinogens will be critical only in extreme summer in the north in places like Rajasthan on Delhi.
Slightly cooler places, you can be a bit more relaxed on that front.

350Z

Core Team
Also, how about keeping 1-2 cms windows open while parking the car in hot sun light?
Yes, Its fine as long as you know that the place where your car parked is safe. I do this practice in summers to maintain air ventilation inside the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Ok, so at-least in office campus it can be done.

And just keeping few cms open window should not have any security issue??

Rsm thanks for getting the info from old part. neatly explained.

I do this when the car is in hot sun.
When i sit inside , its damn hot.
I am (indigo's were) gifted with aluminum finish gear knob , which will be in its boiling point

As i get in i quickly roll down my window , start the car , in the mean time push the ac wents , it will face upward. put on the blowers without the ac.
some time later , must be 20 to 30 sec switch on the ac. Till that time other's may get in.If i am alone , i start driving(same time adjusting the vents) with ac and window down. some time later we can feel the chillness even with window on.

Roll up and move on.[drive]

Aluminium Gear Shift knobs can be dangerously hot, but have you ever burnt your butt on black leather (I am not talking imitation here!!) parked in a Delhi sun?
Can recommend not EVER trying it!!

Yes RSM i have seen few cars practicing this , i don prefer it though! It can be done as 350Z said if your car is parked in a secure and known place!

But better in order to avoid all this try parking in a shady place even if you to walk a few extra metres!![;)]

The problem with most shady places is that birds tend to shower their "blessings" on your darling!!

Oh yeah , my mechanic owns a 11years old opel astra club.

It has leather seat in it. Really it burns your butt terribly.

He uses a big , thick towel in noon times. Only 2 can be saved by him. rear seat travellers have no other choice to sit in other than sitting in hot grill[evil]

Oh yes this can be very annoying! I feel ashamed if a have to drive my beauty in that manner!!

But doesn most of your offices have covered car parking?? I park under trees in my college and in my home its always shady thanks to the others structures around my home!!

Top Bottom