Best Home Inverter / UPS Thread

hey Mukesh,
650va is ideal considering my load and iam looking for sinewave.
Any idea about IT 400 ?
But you know one thing when you have a 17" monitor if power goes and if you had turned off the monitor then the inverter wont take load.

Only when monitor is ON it will give a backup, i feel its a wise and one time investment.

With APC i had got Prestolite, which conked off in 1 & half years then the replacement battery was AMCO Yuasa that lasted for 19 months.

Then the guy authorised from APC sold his own battery called PRIME which has warranty for 3 years, so far going good.

I have no idea on Exide.

Last edited:
This is my inverter which was picked up 4 years ago(without my knowledge),the battery was changed 1yr ago,i hear the battery is of good rating & has distill water level indicator on them,although the inverter is a bit crude.
06082012553.jpg

Guess it will be adding another apc sine wave as mukeshus mentioned just for the bedrooms
APC 800VA Sine Wave Inverter Price – Rs.14,200/- with 100AH x 1 Tubular Battery and Trolley(got details from a website)

This is my inverter which was picked up 4 years ago(without my knowledge),the battery was changed 1yr ago,i hear the battery is of good rating & has distill water level indicator on them,although the inverter is a bit crude.
View attachment 74012

Guess it will be adding another apc sine wave as mukeshus mentioned just for the bedrooms
APC 800VA Sine Wave Inverter Price – Rs.14,200/- with 100AH x 1 Tubular Battery and Trolley(got details from a website)
Hey ,
I got my APC 850SINE with Exide IT 500 battery today, got installed. There were some hiccups during installation (that guy had to run his showroom once to get the UPS checked, but found UPS ok, some problem with connection), in the end it got installed by Gods grace.
The installation guy advised me to remove fridge from the 5amp socket to 15amp socket where UPS doesn't reach.

One question though tp APC BI850 users: When the power goes and when it goes to inverter mode , there is a humming and small screeching sound from the back of UPS , but while on mains its ok. Is it normal ?

I bought my home inverter 5 years back

Inverter : APC 650 VA
Battery : Emerson 120 AH

I did not touch it and did not do any thing with the battery and till now running perfectly without any single problem[:)]

Hey ,
I got my APC 850SINE with Exide IT 500 battery today, got installed.
The installation guy advised me to remove fridge from the 5amp socket to 15amp socket where UPS doesn't reach.

One question though tp APC BI850 users: When the power goes and when it goes to inverter mode , there is a humming and small screeching sound from the back of UPS , but while on mains its ok. Is it normal ?
So how much did your total set up cost?what was the price of battery & warranty promised ?
Ya my fridge and other heavy electrics are not connected to the inverter line,only my washing machine sometimes when running loads the inverter & it creates a loud buzz & siren cos of overload.

Usually all inverters have a mild hum when they are running but not when charging.

I did not touch it and did not do any thing with the battery and till now running perfectly without any single problem
Thats really good! How often do you have power cuts & the inverter battery is used?

In my case the inverter kicks in everyday atleast for an hour usually & in summer & monsoon its running till its dry almost everyday,after which my generator kicks in & charges the inverter & runs the house at the same time.

But check your distill water if its not maintenance free battery & make sure the battery is in a ventilated area as i hear they emit fumes & can be toxic to the occupants.

Hey ,
I got my APC 850SINE with Exide IT 500 battery today, got installed. There were some hiccups during installation (that guy had to run his showroom once to get the UPS checked, but found UPS ok, some problem with connection), in the end it got installed by Gods grace.

Screeching indicates that Power has gone and now using battery backup.
When you are out on holiday, don't forget to switch it to away mode.

I am wondering whether you don't have a AEH connection for fridge and other heavy duty machines.
Which is separate from the mains.

Maintenance of battery is once in 3months.

I did not touch it and did not do any thing with the battery and till now running perfectly without any single problem[:)]
Gurrala aren't you checking the distilled water in the battery?
How long did the first battery last?

Last edited:
So how much did your total set up cost?what was the price of battery & warranty promised ?
Ya my fridge and other heavy electrics are not connected to the inverter line,only my washing machine sometimes when running loads the inverter & it creates a loud buzz & siren cos of overload.

Usually all inverters have a mild hum when they are running but not when charging.

Thats really good! How often do you have power cuts & the inverter battery is used?

In my case the inverter kicks in everyday atleast for an hour usually & in summer & monsoon its running till its dry almost everyday,after which my generator kicks in & charges the inverter & runs the house at the same time.

But check your distill water if its not maintenance free battery & make sure the battery is in a ventilated area as i hear they emit fumes & can be toxic to the occupants.
Screeching indicates that Power has gone and now using battery backup.
When you are out on holiday, don't forget to switch it to away mode.

I am wondering whether you don't have a AEH connection for fridge and other heavy duty machines.
Which is separate from the mains.

Maintenance of battery is once in 3months.

Gurrala aren't you checking the distilled water in the battery?
How long did the first battery last?
I have never checked anything on the battery so far. It is a sealed maintenance free battery I think.

The power cut is normally 1 hr in a day, but during last 2 years it was like in summers and mansoon was 3 hrs a day and some times 4 hrs a day.

It never gave us any trouble and no noise too !! believe me I have never touched it once for any kind of observation or repair so far.

Yes that was the 1st battery running till now no battery change.

I got the battery for Rs.8000/-

My connection is it is directly connected to the mains, means I have inverter power in all the rooms and every where. Only Refrigerator point and one point in kitchen where we use mixy, grinder and others is separated from inverter. We never use washing machine or iron box with inverter power, but we use them with a direct line from mains and when power is not there that socket doesn't work.

But I watch TV with inverter power[:)]

Somehow missed this thread.
It costed me around 20k. (APC 850SINE and exide IT500). UPS have 2 year warranty and Battery have 48 months I guess
I guess the battery service interval is once in 6 months and not 3 months

Friends,

I am in the process of replacing my old inverter set up for my home. yesterday got one quotation from a local dealer. Details:

Battery
Exide IT500 invatubular (warranty 48 months) ---- Rs.15400/-
Hi power 150AH tubular (warranty 60 months) ----Rs.14900/-
Hi power 150 AH (warranty 30 months) --- Rs. 13000/-

Inverter

Luminous/Microtek 850 VA sine wave inverter -- Rs.4800/-

For my old invaqueen 100 AH semitubular battery i will be getting around Rs.1600/-

Are the quoted prices ok??

Also first time i am hearing about the Hi Power battery. Can anyone give any feedback on this battery.

Your suggestions will be really helpful [:)]

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Have anyone here tried the solar powered (charging) inverters?
I have heard that the electricity bill shoots-up once we start using UPS, as everytime power flows through the inverter circuit even when the battery charging module is cutoff after full charge is achieved.
I was planning to get an inverter for home as my wife works from home quite frequently and even I have that facility from office.
In my area (Bellandur, bangalore), there use to be 2 to 3 times long time (like 9AM to 3PM or even till 5PM) power cut for maintenance.
So the normal inverter might prove to be costly on a longer run.
UPS would, to some extend, cover my use, but it might again be an unwanted investment.
Also it would be better to have some more electrical items supplied with power as well during loss of power.
Our housing society provides power for only one tube light connection per flat.

I was thinking if it is solar powered, we could cut on the running expenses though the initial cost of the inverter would be a bit high for solar ones.
Could anyone shed some light on this idea?

Top Bottom