Best Hatchback For Long-Term Use?

Obviously Power to Weight Ratio plays a good role in deciding the final out come. Power-to-weight ratio, in fact, is the real measurement of actual performance of any engine. If we apply the following equation:

PowerToWeight Ration = (Power in K.W) / (Weight in K.G) * 1000

Where

Power in K.W = Power in P.S * 0 .74
We will get the following Power to weight ratio figures:

3.jpg

So that still shows that FIAT scores here. Now you have to consider another aspect here - Torque! If you look at the spec, you can see that FIAT engine is the best power plant again, producing maximum torque at the lowest RPM.

Thanks Shynish for putting the data together. Its helpful.

One thing to keep in mind, Punto's 1st and 2nd gear are smaller compared to others, so in start you might find it bit slow to pick-up than others.
But keep in mind, except Punto, all other in the list have 3-pot engines. So once you cross your speed a bit, you can find MJD is much better to drive.
Having said that, Figo has lowest turbo lag and its fun to drive.

But don under-rate the Fabia. Specs may not be impressive , but its also a great performer on road! Wish our member Aditya was here to explain more about Fabia and Skoda in general!

Yes, that' true Ravi. Another very important factor is that Fiat's power curve is not linear. That is another reason for MJD to behave differently in Fiat's own car. This same engine is tuned to get a linear power curve in Swift which makes it quicker. But Fiat's tuning ensures a smooth power delivery when you are at higher RPM which is required for highway driving. No wonder it is termed as one of the best car for highways!

Thread Starter #35
My friend brought a Punto on Sunday. I TD his Punto today and felt that clutch paddle is feeling less once pressed it completely and it might not come back on its own to its orignal place !! Moreover, my left foot was touching the steering rode while changing gears (Shoes size-9). These two points were very annoying. Any body has anything to say on these point ?

For Fabia, I have concerns regarding AFSS and price of spare parts. Can any body help me on this ?

shailinder, yes the problem you faced with shoes touching dead padel while pressing clutch is faced by many, including me. But be assured you will adjust with it with-in a week. I know its annoying.
But the other problem, that clutch might not come back to original position, I never faced and I never heard this issue with any body else. Tell your friend to get it checked with service center.

shailinder, why not VW polo then, same group of companies which skoda belongs too, better brand value then skoda and notch quality offered with very decent power, only thing is its rear seats which are not so spacious, else a good buy.

Thread Starter #38
Vijay, Don't you think being a new company in India. VW has to first establish themselves for a normal* person to consider buying there product.

* Person who does not have too much money to experiment.

@ RSM: I felt the same clutch issue when i test drove Punto from one of the dealership in Delhi.

Others, please share your views.
Check out the official Fiat Grande Punto 90HP roadtest report here.
Hopefully it will clear most of your doubts.

I 20 great feel , both diesel and petrol . diesel was as silent as a petrol one , great performer , bit costlier and easy service due to so many hyundai service station

fabia - i didnt like petrol performance , diesel was so so great , good car to own , service is a major a prob , but only after some 1L kms. till then i think you may not find issues.

Figo - have driven only the diesel for long kms. great performer , sluggish than i 20 , but not noticible. good build , but not to fiat level

punto - of all the car , i liked its position , its throttle response etc . great car , good build for good price. the one i have driven was a diesel . not the newer ones

vista - new vista with fiat engine and fiat gearbox fun to drive - build not as punto.

POLO - the last car report.
my dealer bought one , got it after a 40 days waiting period . 2nd day all lights were glowing , the turbo system goes katput . vw didnt accepted for full car replacement (pdi? why is it there) - they repaired the new car - waited for 10 days for new turbo system to arrive - got a new turbo system and other related part - bill was 0 , atlast that was good , now the car is fine , still he is afraid of that problem as he imagines it may come again , and his imaginations passes on me too .

driving was good , sluggish of the lot.

Of all the car i would go for punto for its price and build and engine.

did i forget swift? swift has so many review... but really swift car!

Oh shocked to see a brand new Polo facing so many problems!!

If you are very much worried about the clutch issue in Punto then go ahead with an i20 , it does not have such issues!

Shailinder. After going through this thread, and clearly understanding your dilemma, I strongly suggest you swift vdi ABS. This car is good for modifications also. Hence go with it with your eyes closed. Only con is that it has a long waiting period.

Also new swift is around the corner. If you are not in a hurry then I suggest wait till March 11. You will have better choices. Else go with above option straight away.
-----------Next Post-----------
One more point. Do not take chances with i20. i20 has the classic "steering rattle" problem. Spares are also costly for hyundai. For once drive ritz VDI abs immideately after driving swift VDI abs. I mean a really long drive within heavy city traffic, a long highway drive and then take a decision.

I have driven lot of cars in India and abroad. Practical car is the need of hour. . listen to your inner voice.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45
Amiti, I appriciate your personal touch with a suggestion to what should be done and what should not be. I like swift as a car but only problem is build quality and lack of exclusiveness. Everywhere you see and you will find a swift / Dzire. As suggested I don't see any harm in waiting and probably by then we might have Etios on to road to add more to my confusion :-))

But somewhere in side I still feel old fabia Ambiente makes sense now if one is getting GOOD discounts. I understand that there are issues with AFSS of Skoda but people at the same time appriciate the build quality and driving dynamics of the car. Compare to fabia, swift's build quality or for that matter Maruti's build quality is below average to say the least.

Last edited:

Top Bottom